How to make profit thread

Woifi The Viking

I'd probably flip stranges and cosmetics worth a few ref and occasionally buy keys with the ref you make, then quickbuy a cheap unusual with the keys to sell cheap, then rinse and repeat

So basically what you're doing right now?

I might just copy some of your trades >.>

pls don't hate me :c

• 3 weeks later...

I've been away from the game since the buds crashed.

What has changed since then? (apart from the obvious)

What is the main way to profit now?

If you feel that you suck at making profit, these tips could help you out. I made this video when I quit trading (got bored of trading) so I could care less now if everyone gets rich because of it!

Enjoy!

PS. I'm coming back to TF2 again, maybe more secrets revealed in the future. Also, most likely future giveaways!

Edited by ϟPlaxorøus☢
Forgot to put the video link.

The fact your inventory dates back to 2012 and has been climbing from there, I highly doubt your journey to 900 keys was at all easy or impressive.

900 /4 = 225 keys per year.

Me, and probably a lot of people can do over 225 keys per year, and for people like Hex, he can even reach 1500 keys per year. So uh, best if you not brag about how good you can get to.

The fact your inventory dates back to 2012 and has been climbing from there, I highly doubt your journey to 900 keys was at all easy or impressive.

Someone gives people good advice and you complain about how they aren't worthy of sharing advice? While most of it is pretty well known some people might still learn something.

Keep in mind 900 keys was still approx $2000.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I come in here and say thanks to those who gave tips and tricks.

I actually followed the "buy cheap / sell normal" tactic for keys and made about 15 keys profit in 2 months. it's not much and it was a lot of work but it was real fun. Unfortunately after the key price surge, bots have taken over the key market and my tactics no longer work :(

• 3 weeks later...

I live in a town where everyone just hires professional people to do this stuff. 

just mow lawns or wash cars that does the work 10/10

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I need a low-tier trading technique (dealing with items less expensive than your every-day unusuals) for consistent income, just something to do in the background while dealing with unusuals. I've got around 10 ref to get me kick-started. Any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

One tip to get into unusual trading: You need to be a snail, a turtle. Something that moves SLOWLY AND PATIENTLY.

Be ready to sit on your hat for weeks and months, serious. Depend on your luck, your first gen might take 1 month or more to get the price you want, while you sell that 3rd gen in several days, and vice versa.

If you just want to sit around and have someone do all the work for you, find a broker. They will sell your items for you and take around 5% the price of the hat they help you to sell. Find someone with good rep, premium on bp and outpost, done. You will have your hat regularly bumped, your broker will deal with scammer, scan offers, bargaining for you etc...Recommended for lazy and not really hardcore trader :P

• 2 months later...

So say I have 75 USD real life money in my paypal right now

what the hell do I do with it to make profit.

Do I buy keys for 1.65 and sell for 1.9?

wot?

do i buy backpacks for cheaper than they are worth and resell each item painstakingly?

-Please help :(

wot?

do i buy backpacks for cheaper than they are worth and resell each item painstakingly?

You generally want to have some rep to make profit flipping keys in USD. Buying backpacks is a good way to start, reselling items isn't as obnoxious as people imagine it and you can make a small profit each time you buy one. Then again, everyone and their grandmothers are quickbuying anything and everything in TF2, so if you wanted to buy quicksales I'd say have better rates than any other quickbuyer out there.

Low-tier unusuals are easy to sell since they have a larger market and are more affordable, though the only con I imagine is that people cheap out on a key or so in low-tier trading.

If I were you I'd keep flipping keys out of my plans until I have some rep, you generally want to be the buyer and go first to gain some.

wot?

I think you need to move away from the key flipping thing. Maybe you have more rep somewhere else, but nobody will be selling keys at severe discounts to you with the rep/backpack you have.  There are buyers with literally 100x more rep than you who pay more.  Again, maybe you actually have experience in paypal trading, but in case you don't, it's not something you just get into and buy cheap keys.   

I had stopped/slowed down on trading for a while (3-4 months) and want to get back into trading... Got a ton of painted hats and killstreaked, parted stranges. What are some good ways to profit? 

I had stopped/slowed down on trading for a while (3-4 months) and want to get back into trading... Got a ton of painted hats and killstreaked, parted stranges. What are some good ways to profit? 

Unfortunately, those are literally the worst items to profit on.  E,.g:  

You have a pink craft hat.  The paint costs 2 keys and the hat costs 2 Ref so you should expect 50% paint value and price of the hat, right?  Nope, you probably can't sell that for more than 5 or 6 ref (the market is flooded with painted hats and has been for a while, that's the reason). 

Same with parted stranges.   

I guess if you bought all those items at their non-parted/non-painted value, then you're fine, but if you paid extra, chances are you won't be able to get much more beyond what you paid. 

Unfortunately, those are literally the worst items to profit on.  E,.g:  

You have a pink craft hat.  The paint costs 2 keys and the hat costs 2 Ref so you should expect 50% paint value and price of the hat, right?  Nope, you probably can't sell that for more than 5 or 6 ref (the market is flooded with painted hats and has been for a while, that's the reason). 

Same with parted stranges.   

I guess if you bought all those items at their non-parted/non-painted value, then you're fine, but if you paid extra, chances are you won't be able to get much more beyond what you paid. 

Should I clear them out quickly for like 25-30% of the paint value? (same with stranges?) - or try SCM?

Should I clear them out quickly for like 25-30% of the paint value? (same with stranges?) - or try SCM?

Well, the painted items really depend on what the item is I find.  On a random craft hat, paint isn't worth much, even if it's black or pink.  But on a hat that people really like, e.g. the War Pig, you can sometimes get that 50%, although it takes time.  SCM is irrelevant here seeing how most hats/miscs aren't marketable. 

For stranges:  if the strange has parts and KS, SCM is terrible.  This is because there will be 100 unparted weapons shown ahead of yours (assuming you add value to the parts).  If you have a spec or Pro KS with parts, it's easier since there aren't that many of those on the market.  I seem to sell most of my Pro KS stuff on the market, I find they go much faster there than on OP. 

Well, the painted items really depend on what the item is I find.  On a random craft hat, paint isn't worth much, even if it's black or pink.  But on a hat that people really like, e.g. the War Pig, you can sometimes get that 50%, although it takes time.  SCM is irrelevant here seeing how most hats/miscs aren't marketable. 

For stranges:  if the strange has parts and KS, SCM is terrible.  This is because there will be 100 unparted weapons shown ahead of yours (assuming you add value to the parts).  If you have a spec or Pro KS with parts, it's easier since there aren't that many of those on the market.  I seem to sell most of my Pro KS stuff on the market, I find they go much faster there than on OP. 

Once I clear all my shit out, then what?

• 1 month later...

I lost 500 dollars (real money and items) 2 years ago and i quit trading since then. Right now i have a desire to recover that lost amount. Is it possible?

I lost 500 dollars (real item and items) 2 years ago and i quit trading since then. Right now i have a desire to recover that lost amount. Is it possible?

Slowly but it's doable 

I lost 500 dollars (real money and items) 2 years ago and i quit trading since then. Right now i have a desire to recover that lost amount. Is it possible?

If you work at it, it'll go fine. It's not like some big monumental task; you're only exchanging pixels for more valuable pixels ;p. The market is easy nowadays, just don't give up!

Ok, so here's how I've been making profit with this game.

I usually buy my items cheap from scrap.tf. Since all craft hats can be bought for 1.33 ref, you're making a profit after you sell it.

I then put my items up for backpack.tf price.

I would honestly like to learn how to start churning profit from craft hats or low end taunts. I already have close to a ton of refined metal for a key, I would love a few pointers on how to get some dosh.