How to make profit thread

Woifi The Viking

Well, that was kinda my question, so I guess I shouldn't buy a shit tier unusual and trade up with it, and make some more pure instead? Thanks again!

Buy at a mid tier and trade to multiple low tiers or trade across/up maybe adding sweets when absolutely necessary. Just remember that's it's much easier to sell 3 10-15 key hats at bp.tf than one 30 key or so hat at full bp.tf pricing. 

I've tried to get into unusual trading, but my success has been very limited. About a year ago, I bought my first unusual for ~9 keys, and I've only added about 3 keys to get my two unusuals (~1.2 buds each) now, which would seem a lot more appealing if it didn't take a year to do. Help in any form is appreciated.

I've tried to get into unusual trading, but my success has been very limited. About a year ago, I bought my first unusual for ~9 keys, and I've only added about 3 keys to get my two unusuals (~1.2 buds each) now, which would seem a lot more appealing if it didn't take a year to do. Help in any form is appreciated.

Well, two things i've noticed from my personal experience. 

1) Buying quicksells can be really tough as everyone highballs there shit--and this is especially true with all the new effects. So while you have a quicksell buy trade up you should also be flipping other stuff as it can take a decent amount of time to get quicksells. Also, most quicksells tend to be 3rd gen effects, which in actuality aren't really quicksells--keep in mind, most 3rd gen/robo prices are still based on hype--i.e. people are asking for similar prices on the watts as others are on energy, when energy is clearly better in every way. So, most 3rd gen quicksells tend to be for the prices they would be at without hype (or more). 

2) Trading up has become very hard. When i first started trading I made all my profit by trading up, whereas now I make very little from actually trading up and most (by far) comes from the initial quick buy. (At least this is true for me, I can't speak for everyone as it also depends on whether you go on trade servers and/or actively offer your stuff around on outpost--neither of which I do, and both of which are very helpful when trying to sell 3rd gens) 

Thanks for the advice, I've been trying too hard to trade up, looks like I'll start searching for more quicksells, at least I have been staying away from 3rd gen effects.

What do You prefer? Do You prefer to hoard more items for the cost of profit made from them, or You prefer to wait for someone who will sell You item for lower price and make better profit?

I honestly don't know which is better.

Why would you get less profit if you buy more? Seems like you just answered your own question.

Think he means would you rather be selling multiple affordable items and make little profit every so often, or have 1-2 items you wait on to make big profit ie: unusuals

Think he means would you rather be selling multiple affordable items and make little profit every so often, or have 1-2 items you wait on to make big profit ie: unusuals

This. E.g. You try to buy S.Shotty for 1 key, and You don't get much adds. Then You try to buy for 1.5, and You hope for getting more.

You kinda have to find the middle ground to both. If you get a lot of adds to sell/buy from you, you know your own price is wrong.

What does tf2 have to do with that

Everyone is all about profit and trading to the point where some don't play the game anymore.

Everyone is all about profit and trading to the point where some don't play the game anymore.

you might wanna replace that 'some' with 'many'

you might wanna replace that 'some' with 'many'

i never even played the game tbh apart from a few mvm tries back in the day (5 tours ?),but just look at that BP <.<.<.<

I buy bp's at significantly discounted prices, then resell the items because I enjoy owning them and wearing them in-game

I also buy very rare unusuals so I have a somewhat decent excuse to highball

with the smaller items, I usually just sell/pay market value, going for the 1 rec at a time profit seems like a waste when if I sell them all quick I can make 4-8 keys, then restart

• 3 weeks later...

What I do is buy items from scrap.tf hat bots that are more than 1.33, and then sell them for backpack.tf price - 1 scrap.

It involves camping the site, yeah, but. i have gotten key items for 1.33 before.

What I do is buy items from scrap.tf hat bots that are more than 1.33, and then sell them for backpack.tf price - 1 scrap.

It involves camping the site, yeah, but. i have gotten key items for 1.33 before.

Bots dat buy dose itms exist br0

Listen to all item offers and ask for overpay.

Refuse the following:

-Cosmetics with paints

-Stranges With Parts

-Weapons with Killstreaks

-Named/Described items

I once sold a Strange Weapon for a Strange Backburner + Another Strange (with overpay), sold the Strange Backburner for 2 cosmetics with great overpay, and sold one of those hats for even more overpay.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

One word: Negotiation.

It's actually often good to go into a trade server and just say "Anyone want to trade?" You don't even need to say what you're selling, and people will trade. I traded a White Tam O Shanter for some Lime Breakneck Baggies, which I turned into a Kringle Collection, which I traded for a Conjurer's Cowl, a Killstreak Spy-Cicle Kit and three stranges, which all items considered, I can easily get more than a key (Kringle Collection) out of.

Item overpay is a beautiful thing.

I am finding very hard to sell much of anything even stupid bud. Can't quickbuy stuff and I have 2 hats that were quickbought but can't move. Something seems broken.

Wait, there's more to this game than trading?!