Are older crates still desirable/have value?

Gigean

I think the last time I put TF2 down was in 2016 or so, and right before I went on a years-long hiatus, I stocked up on hundreds of crates, with a whole assortment of different crate numbers.  I've since stepped back into TF2 for the time being, and I'm wondering if crates still have value nowadays, if I would be better opening them, etc., and if they have any value, what is the best way to mass trade them (Steam marketplace, trading servers, here, etc.).

Thanks in advance, I've been out of the loop for years and want to clear at least some of them out.

Yes, many of your crates have actual value. The robo crates in particular but you can get something for the standard ones. Visit the classifieds page of each crate number to get an idea of what they are worth. Don't open them, unless the economy crashes they will likely increase in value over time. 

So this is not an option I thought about, but should I hold onto the crates?  If so, when should I look to sell? And would I be better to sell crates individually or as a group?

If you don't need the funds, you can always still hold onto them. None of them are really going to spike in value unless another crate depression happens.

When it comes to crates that are steadily appreciating, it's mainly the older cases, like the Invasion crates or the 2017 War Paint case as they are in dwindling supply especially compared to the older crates.

Someone will try and profit off of them if you sell bulk. You can easily list and sell each for their true and full value. Good luck and good job stocking up when you did. 

Archived