Would a Trading Bot be a Worthwhile Investment?

Superplay64

Good evening those who probably know the TF2 economy better than I do at this current point in time,

Recently I have been looking into the possibility of setting up TF2Autobot on a spare PC for trading standard/non-unusual stuff.  However, before I drop $20 (hard limit) on keys/ref to stock the bot, I wanted to find out if this would even be a worthwhile investment.  That said, my (full) question is: Would investing in a TF2 trading bot in 2021 pay off (or at least break even in a reasonable timespan), or would it be a waste of money?

$20 seems really low if you are starting out. Recommended amount is probably 100 keys if you want to start making money.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, mxINI said:

I started with 13 keys and got 61 keys

If you mean starting with 13 keys INCLUDING buying premium and donations for your bot account, then that is just slow. I suggest at least a minimum of 50 if you wanna see some significant changes ina shorter amount of time

• Like 3

>Everyone telling me I need to start with more keys when the $20 is a hard cap on available funds.

Regardless, if I understand what everyone is saying, a standard/non-unusual item trading bot would be worth it, even if it takes a little bit of time for the investment to return itself?

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Superplay64 said:

>Everyone telling me I need to start with more keys when the $20 is a hard cap on available funds.

Regardless, if I understand what everyone is saying, a standard/non-unusual item trading bot would be worth it, even if it takes a little bit of time for the investment to return itself?

I started about the same amount late April and haven't gotten back the investment yet (~4.5keys profit since started - including a lucky 2.3key overpay anomaly).

Most non-unusual things less than half a key usually only has a scrap markup price and I'm just gonna tell you returns will be very slow if u decide to get into low tier bot-trading since there's already a lot of bots out there. 

7 hours ago, Superplay64 said:

I mean, you asked if is a worthwhile investment and we gave you advice, so what did you expect?

From my own personal experience, I started with around 60 keys, 10 for the donations and premium and 50 for stock. I made like 10 keys in a few weeks. 

you can start off with 10~ keys but will be rather challenging, but be sure to keep in mind that you need to maintain your buy order and sell order listings as well. As we always say: Maintaining (a bot) takes effort. Don’t wanna put in effort? Don’t buy a bot

In my opinion: Get at least 30 keys if u wanna get into bot trading, cus the prem and donations will eat up like half of your investment.

17 hours ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

10 for the donations and premium

Donations and premium for what exactly?  I presume one of those would be Backpack.tf premium?  If you're assuming the other is for the bot, I should note that the bot itself is also free (it just takes time and care to setup).

Not trying to refute your points or whatnot; I'm genuinely trying to determine if there's an element I'd need to put money into that I didn't originally consider.

3 hours ago, Superplay64 said:

Donations and premium for what exactly?  I presume one of those would be Backpack.tf premium?  If you're assuming the other is for the bot, I should note that the bot itself is also free (it just takes time and care to setup).

Not trying to refute your points or whatnot; I'm genuinely trying to determine if there's an element I'd need to put money into that I didn't originally consider.

Buying premium and donations (for your bot account) increases the amount of listings you can put up on your bot. You can check how much listing slots will be added for x dollars by checking here: https://backpack.tf/donate . Premium essentially doubles your listing slots and gives u the ability to promote your listings by bumping your listing and advertises on the front page of the site. That feature is not the most important but helps from time to time. Also premium search on items... self explanatory.

I think I used 20 keys for both 2 months of prem (cheaper if you buy 2 months) and donations, when I started off. More listing slots = more opportunities to get buy order dumps. 

If you want a bot you should generally consider:

1) It's high effort/time in the early stage (setting up buy orders, general settings etc)

2) You need some sort of a start capital (bot site fees, bp.tf premium, bp.tf donations in order to make listings)

Generally the longer you own a bot, the more profitable it becomes. The more revenue you make, the more you can reinvest in your bot to allow it to grow even quicker and after a while you'll have made enough profit that it becomes higher than the amount you spent on the bot. You'll also gain more experience over time which will help making running a bot more efficiently. You shouldn't expect to become Jeff Bezos within a week, but owning a bot can definitely be worth the time and effort over the long run. As long as you're willing to invest the money, time and effort into it, it will most likely pay off. 

How much start capital you need really depends on what kind of trading you want to do. 

Unless I'm interpreting everyone's advice wrong, it sounds like while it would be better to have more capital to start a bot, it isn't needed, and overall one should really start a bot sooner than later to begin building some sort of profit?

Or would the latter point only be true if I had more starting capital?

• 1 year later...

I think you can try it. Twenty dollars isn't much, so why not. You have to be mentally prepared for it not to work out. I think only mentally stable people can invest at all, lol. A friend of mine woke up one morning with a loss of 40% of his fund of a few dollars, so I thought twice and more before I tried it. The first rule I learned is never invest a huge amount at once, especially if you are doing it for the first time. I learned how to manage my funds and predict declines thanks to online sources and various forums. Today you can try investing in the most popular cryptocurrencies for just a few dollars. More information here https://www.moneyunder30.com/start-investing-with-little-money

Guys, I made a bot and he left me after 6 hours of data base parse and calculations. Now he's trying to hack my computer and pentagon as well