Buy orders gone! What would happen?

Vidual Cadet

So recently I thought, "Woah, low tier trading is impossible." Those damn bots make almost every item that isn't an unusual, unprofitable, so I thought, what could remove this. I found a simple solution! What would happen if there wasn't buy orders. I know there is sites, but who cares? Lemme know your thoughts and what not.

1 hour ago, Api said:

So recently I thought, "Woah, low tier trading is impossible." Those damn bots make almost every item that isn't an unusual, unprofitable, so I thought, what could remove this. I found a simple solution! What would happen if there wasn't buy orders. I know there is sites, but who cares? Lemme know your thoughts and what not.

Back before on backpack there was no buy orders. And backpack was good that time too. 

Every trader relying on bots would be so confused they will start selling their 150 key unusual for 3 keys because all bot buy orders matter!!!

3 hours ago, Beaser said:

Every trader relying on bots would be so confused they will start selling their 150 key unusual for 3 keys because all bot buy orders matter!!!

this but unironically

I think you are exprecting huge profit for LOW tier unusuals, if you only have like 8/12 keys you should aim to just get some refs as profit and that is, if you want to win more, you need to invest more, also low tier unusual trading is really bad if you spend all of your keys in just one unusual.

let's take it further - what if there was no backpack.tf? this website is practically the bedrock for tf2 trading as is,

without the pricing documentation and history of backpack.tf, this place would either instantly implode or devolve into a heavily barter-dependent thing of 'nah its priced this way', t. trust me bro

let's take it further - what if there was no trading? trading is practically the bedrock for tf2 as is, without the ability to trade and what comes with that aspect of the game, it would either instantly implode or devolve into a scene heavily dependent on the steam community market. the game would lose players rapidly and the price of items would increase drastically.

9 hours ago, Charlotte said:

I think you are exprecting huge profit for LOW tier unusuals, if you only have like 8/12 keys you should aim to just get some refs as profit and that is, if you want to win more, you need to invest more, also low tier unusual trading is really bad if you spend all of your keys in just one unusual.

That's the thing that I think is wrong, why is it that people should only be able to make ref as profit. while someone just makes tons flipping big tier hats. Only 3-4 years back, you could find decent quicksells with 10 keys. 

1 hour ago, Api said:

That's the thing that I think is wrong, why is it that people should only be able to make ref as profit. while someone just makes tons flipping big tier hats. Only 3-4 years back, you could find decent quicksells with 10 keys. 

Profit is all marginal and relative to the overall trade value. Don't look at profits in terms of currency but in terms of percent. If I make 10 keys off of a 10 key trade that's prolly sharking/scamming if I make 10 keys from a 100 key trade that's a small profit. It's all about the perspective you look at your profits. A 2 key profit from a 10 key trade is only 2 keys still BUT its a 20% profit whereas in a 100 key trade that 10 key profit more is indeed more keys but it's merely a 10% profit. Overall as long as ur margins are 10-30% (depending on the items ofc) you should be fine. This is one of the reasons low tier trading can take ages to escape but doesn't imply the need for change.

Everything here implies that you have an item with demand and not something that there's simply no-one that'll want it (and yes this is easily doable at every price range with enough patience and market observation)

4 hours ago, Alex_ said:

let's take it further - what if there was no trading? trading is practically the bedrock for tf2 as is, without the ability to trade and what comes with that aspect of the game, it would either instantly implode or devolve into a scene heavily dependent on the steam community market. the game would lose players rapidly and the price of items would increase drastically.

Not sure about the second part, but the first part seems right. To elaborate, even if backpack.tf suddenly died, it wouldn't be possible to go back to the 2010-2013 "golden era of low-tier trading" because SCM exists now. Most players absolutely despise trading with other humans, and many don't even want to trade with bots on this site. The TF2 economy is complex, and most players who just want to buy a hat don't care to spend the time to understand how it all works. Before SCM, they had to because there was no alternative, but for everyone who wasn't actively trying to make a profit, it was an enormous waste of time.

As far as I can tell, there are two reasons for a "normal player" to use backpack.tf, rather than SCM, to buy an item, depending roughly on its price:

- Low tier items because the spreads are much smaller than on SCM (1 scrap vs. at least 20% on SCM usually), so you can buy a lot by selling random crap that's in your inventory, and many very cheap items are not available at all on SCM.

- High tier items (unusuals) because there are few sellers on SCM (because of the fee, presumably), so buyers have no choice.

If backpack.tf ceased to exist, most of its trading volume would move to SCM or cash trading sites. Yes, spreads would increase, but the profit would go to Valve / cash trading site owners, not traders. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, this is how the CSGO economy currently functions since they don't have a good equivalent to backpack.tf.

Essentially, I believe backpack.tf has only remained successful because it has outcompeted SCM and cash trading sites on fees (15% and ~10% vs. 0% for backpack.tf).

to be honest I much prefer the old time with tf2 outpost as it show last bump first instead of lowest price it always give some luck

bp tf listing is good in some way i don't think buy order itself is a issue

the major issue is the bot than keep overcuting anylisting

and also way too many buy order on each items or unusuals below 20 keys it have at least 20-30 buy order at near to same price i think it should have a limit no more 100 or 1000 buy order per account and norelist more than one per day

for me buying reselling for keys trading strategy for items below 50 keys is kinda dead nowaday sometime i see 20keys buy order sell order is at 21 keys so only one keys posssible profit often take weeks to sell

I think is still possible to make good profit on tf2 trading but not at quickbuying strategy for sure now is better to focus on items than can going up in future or buy rare unusuals even to bot why not and wait to resell for great offer also SCM trading can good

12 hours ago, MeFigaYoma said:

Not sure about the second part, but the first part seems right. To elaborate, even if backpack.tf suddenly died, it wouldn't be possible to go back to the 2010-2013 "golden era of low-tier trading" because SCM exists now. Most players absolutely despise trading with other humans, and many don't even want to trade with bots on this site. The TF2 economy is complex, and most players who just want to buy a hat don't care to spend the time to understand how it all works. Before SCM, they had to because there was no alternative, but for everyone who wasn't actively trying to make a profit, it was an enormous waste of time.

As far as I can tell, there are two reasons for a "normal player" to use backpack.tf, rather than SCM, to buy an item, depending roughly on its price:

- Low tier items because the spreads are much smaller than on SCM (1 scrap vs. at least 20% on SCM usually), so you can buy a lot by selling random crap that's in your inventory, and many very cheap items are not available at all on SCM.

- High tier items (unusuals) because there are few sellers on SCM (because of the fee, presumably), so buyers have no choice.

If backpack.tf ceased to exist, most of its trading volume would move to SCM or cash trading sites. Yes, spreads would increase, but the profit would go to Valve / cash trading site owners, not traders. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but from what I understand, this is how the CSGO economy currently functions since they don't have a good equivalent to backpack.tf.

Essentially, I believe backpack.tf has only remained successful because it has outcompeted SCM and cash trading sites on fees (15% and ~10% vs. 0% for backpack.tf).

yea agere on most parts but i think if like backpack tf don't exist but more like old tf2outpost it will be use a lot so it kinda change trading

and it will have more items to items trading for sure nowaday not many people do items offer since they know they can sell intantly to bot with almost no loss and after buy the items they are looking for

Archived