When Valve pulls the plug on tf2.

Xheir

Any ideas on what will happen on the trading economy when valve suddenly pulls the plug/give the industry to another game manufacturer? Does like all items become useless or what monstrosity could happen?

z5aKQ1fx6vsv-xAuHtCx8N0ZFek2RjWa4WGzBfgpzwc.jpg

yeah we're fucked

maybe not the big traders who already made profit

especially big collectors who poured thousands of dollars into the game

although valve did say that they will never officially state when the quit development of the game and remain silent. so unless TF2 gets shut dpwn as a whole, it trading will most likely remain

Two Scenarios: 

1) Mr. G.E.W.P. TF2PyroJoeFan panic sells his or her $100 inventory they have been investing in for 4 years causing more panic and chaos to more traders thinking that they should cash and get out of the game, leaving more than half of the player base gone in a span of around a year.

2) The community tries to liven up the game with events and rewards, more community created content, maps, game modes, etc. along with hosting competitive matches and teams.

Either of the two scenarios are likely but keep in mind that if valve decides that TF2's time is neigh, then they would probably let it slowly die down rather than pulling the plug and disconnect all servers, which proves that the two scenarios are the most likely to ever come.

1 hour ago, Xheir said:

Any ideas on what will happen on the trading economy when valve suddenly pulls the plug/give the industry to another game manufacturer? Does like all items become useless or what monstrosity could happen?

z5aKQ1fx6vsv-xAuHtCx8N0ZFek2RjWa4WGzBfgpzwc.jpg

pretty sure nobody is actually working on the game rn anyways, so not like valve's support matters. id say bots will never really overwhelm players, because 1. it costs real money to host them and 2. not that many people weigh 500+ lbs and have managed to convince their mom that inflating the electrical bill is worth it.

90% of the traders that deal with high-end unusuals don't even launch TF2 anymore, or if they do they do so just to go on firepowered for like an hour a day. Low/mid range trading will be hurt or die, but high-end (>100 key hats) trading won't die until the item servers are shut down, because there's almost never a situation where someone that isn't a trader or is a low-end trader but wants a badass hat to show off in casual mode decides to drop $1000 to buy an old hween effect hat, so 99% of your high-end sales are just people trying to make money or add to a collection that they'll never actually show off to more than just the regulars at FP.

Yeah that's what I'm kinda expecting to happen. But doesnt it mean when the game has died/moved the item servers change? Or something like that, like what will happen to items once the game moved on from valve

45 minutes ago, Toad said:

Player count has doubled... unless those are all bots https://steamcharts.com/app/440

If you're wanting accurate depictions of the "current" tf2 playerbase then I would suggest use: https://teamwork.tf/community/statistics over steam charts.

Steamcharts registers people who have launched the game within a given timeframe while teamwork.tf registers people who are currently in-game, so it doesn't count bots, trade bots, people just in the main menu, ect.

Still 13,885 players (as of 12:01pm EST) Actively playing is still pretty damn good for a game that's more than a decade old especially when you consider this isn't peak hours for tf2.

The game has certainly picked up some extra traction recently but for how long, well we won't know for sure.

As for the trading scene, the trading community makes up a really small percentage of the total TF2 playerbase, mainly due to the fact that the majority of traders don't make profit (go figure) so most people just either avoid it or collect items.

If the TF team were to straight up say they were fully done with the game the already really small percent of players that play TF2 to trade would decline certainly, possibly with some TF2 youtubers making videos like "TF2 IS DED!!1!" which just makes more people panic sell and quit.

There would be a pretty large dip in the overall economy as large amounts of players pull out but I doubt it would last very long seeing as we've been in very similar situations previously (take the crate depression as just 1 example)

Only large "downside" (depends on how you see it) that I can see coming out of a portion of the tf2 trading scene quitting is that lots of them would dump their items to the higher tiered traders who won't quit, growing the already exasperated rift between the high tier traders (like rank 200+) and those lower than them.

But hey that's just my belief lol

1 hour ago, Saylen said:

If you're wanting accurate depictions of the "current" tf2 playerbase then I would suggest use: https://teamwork.tf/community/statistics over steam charts.

Steamcharts registers people who have launched the game within a given timeframe while teamwork.tf registers people who are currently in-game, so it doesn't count bots, trade bots, people just in the main menu, ect.

Still 13,885 players (as of 12:01pm EST) Actively playing is still pretty damn good for a game that's more than a decade old especially when you consider this isn't peak hours for tf2.

The game has certainly picked up some extra traction recently but for how long, well we won't know for sure.

As for the trading scene, the trading community makes up a really small percentage of the total TF2 playerbase, mainly due to the fact that the majority of traders don't make profit (go figure) so most people just either avoid it or collect items.

If the TF team were to straight up say they were fully done with the game the already really small percent of players that play TF2 to trade would decline certainly, possibly with some TF2 youtubers making videos like "TF2 IS DED!!1!" which just makes more people panic sell and quit.

There would be a pretty large dip in the overall economy as large amounts of players pull out but I doubt it would last very long seeing as we've been in very similar situations previously (take the crate depression as just 1 example)

Only large "downside" (depends on how you see it) that I can see coming out of a portion of the tf2 trading scene quitting is that lots of them would dump their items to the higher tiered traders who won't quit, growing the already exasperated rift between the high tier traders (like rank 200+) and those lower than them.

Aren't teamwork.tfs numbers always a hour behind because they pull the data at a hourly basis instead of just measuring total volume like steam charts does.

26 minutes ago, hulk hogan said:

Aren't teamwork.tfs numbers always a hour behind because they pull the data at a hourly basis instead of just measuring total volume like steam charts does.

This is what's on their site:

"There have been a lot of questions about these statistics, especially because Steam reports way more players than these statistics tell you. To understand and compare these different charts, you must understand that (due some technical limitations):

• Steam reports players per hour (e.g. 10.000 players between 12:00-13:00 means, that 10.000 unique Steam accounts have started up the game at least once during that hour).
  • We report TF2 players that are in a TF2 gameserver (e.g. 10.000 players were in a TF2 gameserver at 12:38).
  • Steam counts based on who has the game open, we count based upon who is playing a TF2 gameserver (thus people who are in the main menu are not counted on this page).
  • There are a lot of bots that control Steam accounts. These bots report that they run TF2, but will never appear in a gameserver. Thus, these are not counted on this page.
  • The bots that we report on this page, is based on in-game bots created by the game to fight against. These are not bots that control Steam accounts (to for example trade Steam items). These bots are not counted towards playercount on Steam and on this page."

They try and get their data as soon as they can, it was updated 9 minutes ago as of writing this.

as far as I'm aware there is no set time between when they pull their data, unlike steam charts.

If tf2 servers get shut down, the I'm just gonna stay, and buy quicksells for a fraction of what they are worth, then wait 1-12 months till some other company buys up tf2, and start making new content, hopefully they are good at it, and the game will grow. The hats I got for cheap, is now worth a crapton, just like stupid spells

On 6/8/2021 at 6:37 PM, Cool Fez said:

tf2 still makes million for them, why would they shut down?

It is kinda peanuts compared to what they make from steam as a whole. But they're increasingly a terribly run company in terms of game development.

The game is definitely not dying. Tf2 made more money the same month as Half-life alyx was released than Half-life alyx itself. 

The only thing we need is a bot solution and fix a couple of weapons. The tf2 community doesnt need an update every single month, we've already proven that. 
If only they made the game into a more enjoyable game, and what would contribute a lot to making it more enjoyable? Yes, get rid of the bots. We dont really need no more.

Of course updates would feel great and refreshing but we're too stubborn.

(Also give me back my ambassador valve)

On 6/8/2021 at 12:02 PM, Saylen said:

That only seems to give a weeks worth of data, no?

Archived