Is it worth it to make profits off of the civilian grade stat clock?

metodmiha

Yes, I'm new to trading and I've made some poor business decisions on what have should been 2 keys (and wasted them on mvm tickets and a cosmetic crate key). I've been looking around and I've been thinking about making profits off of the civilan stat clock and my question is: is it worth it to dig around for the cheapest stranges, freelance and mercenary grade war paints, and mercenary grade hats just to make a civilian grade stat clock and try to make profits? Are there ways to get cheap war paints besides scrap.tf and trade servers? Or should I go after a diffrent money making method?

to be honest, you probably wouldn't be making much profit, nothing enough to be worth your time. if you really want to get into tf2 trading, buy like 20 or something keys, and use that to buy quicksells or niche inexpensive items that you can then sell off for maybe a few keys profit at a time. work your way up from that.

Civilian grade clocks work only civilian grade skins as the name implies. And no i definitely going too assume that trying to profit from it is going to be bad idea

@Captainfluffy - I'm pretty sure he's talking about making the clocks from doing trade-ups of the items he mentioned to resell (because C.G.S.C's are fairly liquid), not applying the clocks to items to resell those.

@metodmiha - I would say it's worth it, but only if the process of buying the clock fodder is automated. What do I mean by this? Buy orders. Just lots and lots of buy orders. Back in the day before Marketplace.tf closed it's seller program, I would buy 100s, maybe even 1000s, of garbage-tier war paints (you know, mercenary grade, field-tested, not strange) whenever a new case released for about $0.06 to $0.08 per war paint using buy orders. I would sell the clocks I made anywhere from $0.50 to $0.70. Between the cost of the paints and Marketplace.tf's commission, I would make about $0.30 to $0.10 per clock. As far as I'm aware, you have to do the trade-ups manually, which is a huge time-waster; however, if you're looking for easy profit, with minimal risk, I would say it's worth it. The closest site to Marketplace that you're going to be able to do this is Mannco.store. You can put in (as far as I'm aware) an infinite number of buy orders. You just can't put in a buy order for a greater amount than funds you have on the site (i.e. putting in a buy order for two hats at $1.00 each when you only have $1.50 in funds). The median price for stat clocks on Mannco.store has been about $0.54 this month; I would recommend you put in buy orders for stranges and freelance/mercenary skins for no higher than $0.09. You can also scour the classifieds for stranges or freelance/mercenary skins cheaper than the cost of making C.G.S.C's, but I wouldn't really recommend it, as it usually takes a while to find one at that low of a price and you have to wait for the person to respond (because bots almost never sell that low).

7 hours ago, Captainfluffy said:

Civilian grade clocks work only civilian grade skins as the name implies. And no i definitely going too assume that trying to profit from it is going to be bad idea

Think he means buying cheap crap and crafting the stat clocks out of it

'Worth it' is entirely subjective - it's a very slow way to make profit but it's a very safe/reliable tactic. You'll be able to make more profit by trading other things with the same amount of capital, but it's also possoble to end up in the rut of 'my item isn't selling.'

Use backpack classifieds to search for things which you know often go for less than 1/5 of the price of what stat clocks are going for (15 ref RN so 3 ref) for example Squire's Sabatons: https://backpack.tf/stats/Unique/Squire's Sabatons/Tradable/Craftable

A bunch of them there for 2.88, so buy 5 and you make 5 scrap easy.

Search for the freelance grade skins with the 'Texture and Wear' parameter.

The things you seek are out there

• 2 months later...
18 minutes ago, tehMarioShow said:

I have a question, a civilian stat clock can be applied into a night owl mk.ii rocket launcher (mercenary grade) ?

Civilian and mercenary are different grades, so you can't apply a civilian stat clock to that rocket launcher.

ok, but exists a mode of doing the same, like a mercenary stat clock?

15 hours ago, Abstract said:

Civilian and mercenary are different grades, so you can't apply a civilian stat clock to that rocket launcher.

1 minute ago, tehMarioShow said:

ok, but exists a mode of doing the same, like a mercenary stat clock?

There isn't, but there's a strange version of your rocket launcher you can buy which does the same thing.

6 hours ago, Abstract said:

There isn't, but there's a strange version of your rocket launcher you can buy which does the same thing.

Am I missing something? Only Strange Night Owl skin you'll find at a reasonable price is the Mk.I Sniper Rifle.

Making Strange Night Owl Mk.II requires 100 Civilian stat clocks + 100 Civilian grade skins to trade up to. That'll at minimum put you in the ballpark of 30+ keys (which most people who ask this sort of question would not be willing to pay for a strange rocket launcher) 
Even then if all your skins are from the correct collection you have a 33% of getting the Night Owl Mk.II (ie the only result which is a net profit)

Strange Night Owl Mk.II is expensive and rather uncommon to come by.

3 minutes ago, Alecto said:

Am I missing something? Only Strange Night Owl skin you'll find at a reasonable price is the Mk.I Sniper Rifle.

Making Strange Night Owl Mk.II requires 100 Civilian stat clocks + 100 Civilian grade skins to trade up to. That'll at minimum put you in the ballpark of 30+ keys (which most people who ask this sort of question would not be willing to pay for a strange rocket launcher) 
Even then if all your skins are from the correct collection you have a 33% of getting the Night Owl Mk.II (ie the only result which is a net profit)

Strange Night Owl Mk.II is expensive and rather uncommon to come by.

Not missing anything, they just wanted to know if there was a Mercenary stat clock but afaik they don't exist.

They want one so they can apply it to their Night owl mk.II rocket launcher. The closest thing to that is buying the strange version directly

Archived