Feature: Trade Tester

JayTuut

Basically how it would work is it would allow the user to add items using the backpack.tf history link

v6ZGOY7.png

It is similar to how "calculator" works now but better, you can input multiple things on each side, see the history, get hyperlinks (which for some reason calculator doesn't have? Can't go to the item pages or hover over and get marketplace.tf stats or anything) and more. It is super annoying in calculator to input an item and then you have to select the item name... then the quality... then find the unusual effect which is kinda hard even though its in alphabetical its just a lot of names and no easier way to search other than with your eyes.

I mean, this would require pretty high clearance so I doubt this would be added but another solution would be to input trades. Just like import from chat used to do, except input from a trade offer window, if backpack.tf could put all incoming trade offers in a "trade tester" automatically that would be cool.

As well as have the ability to add spells to the items, list them as duped, (which if you could input off an item history link it would be automatic), etc.

Backpack.tf prices are outdated - the calculator is barely used even now. People just use basic math and prices between buy and sell orders to calculate profit in trades. This doesn't accomplish anything new, just adds another method to a problem we have the solution for. 

To sum it up: "Wow, there's a calculator?"

Never even bothered noticing it--let alone using it-- in the years I was trading until I specifically looked now.

It sounds nice if it was implemented 8 years ago, but people slowly figured out that they have calculators on their phones.

Though tbh suggested prices are not accurate and the market can fluctuate

On 5/17/2021 at 2:39 AM, rndmchrs said:

who uses the calculator in 2021

On 5/17/2021 at 3:29 AM, Alex_ said:

Backpack.tf prices are outdated - the calculator is barely used even now. People just use basic math and prices between buy and sell orders to calculate profit in trades. This doesn't accomplish anything new, just adds another method to a problem we have the solution for. 

47 minutes ago, AShyRag said:

Just do the math dumbass

8 hours ago, Adolf Storms said:

I think you guys missed the point a lot, but most of you are new except Adolf and he's not even in highschool so that's fine.

The trade tester would be better BECAUSE backpack.tf prices aren't accurate. Ashyrag says "just do the math dumbass" but in this scenario, 300 is better then 102.5 right? So if I "did the math" then I would easily take the BOA.

In reality, the Thirst blood is not only worth more than that for a normal one (about ~150), a double spelled strange one is worth up to 200-250 keys. Obviously you could say still you'd take the BOA but this is not counting for if its duped, or in this scenario which was real, the thirst blood added an aussie sniper + an unusual scatter not shown.

The problem with "doing the math" is that unusual trading isn't that simple. A lot of things come into effect, such as time of last suggestion, effect tier, class, hype, demand, number in existence, halloween effects, numbers of them on market etc. I assume the ones responding (not u beaser) only do low tier trading and possibly it is easy to do the math that way.

Basically, I was trying to make it simpler for people who come to me, which I get a few a day, such as @karma miguel yesterday saying "what do you think of this trade" and sending me this image0.png

It basically makes it much simpler if you could input this in to check all the histories and etc, rather than Karma Miguel going "oh its a burning thirst blood btw, and the scatter blah blah blah" naming all the effects and etc. Then me having to open probably 8 tabs (1 for each item history and 1 for each backpack, thats if karma provides me the backpack of the person offering and its not private). It would be much nicer to just have a trade tester that essentially showed all these items, their "backpack price", when it was last updated, # in existence, histories for each item, the lowest seller for each item and more, as well as spells/etc. This also makes it WAY easier to share your trade, as karma may want to ask 7 people, rather than 7 people opening 8 tabs each, he could just send them this and makes it way easier to share the trade and ask for advice. As you would share a pcpartpicker build, etc.

2 hours ago, JayTuut said:

I think you guys missed the point a lot, but most of you are new except Adolf and he's not even in highschool so that's fine.

The trade tester would be better BECAUSE backpack.tf prices aren't accurate. Ashyrag says "just do the math dumbass" but in this scenario, 300 is better then 102.5 right? So if I "did the math" then I would easily take the BOA.

In reality, the Thirst blood is not only worth more than that for a normal one (about ~150), a double spelled strange one is worth up to 200-250 keys. Obviously you could say still you'd take the BOA but this is not counting for if its duped, or in this scenario which was real, the thirst blood added an aussie sniper + an unusual scatter not shown.

The problem with "doing the math" is that unusual trading isn't that simple. A lot of things come into effect, such as time of last suggestion, effect tier, class, hype, demand, number in existence, halloween effects, numbers of them on market etc. I assume the ones responding (not u beaser) only do low tier trading and possibly it is easy to do the math that way.

Basically, I was trying to make it simpler for people who come to me, which I get a few a day, such as @karma miguel yesterday saying "what do you think of this trade" and sending me this image0.png

It basically makes it much simpler if you could input this in to check all the histories and etc, rather than Karma Miguel going "oh its a burning thirst blood btw, and the scatter blah blah blah" naming all the effects and etc. Then me having to open probably 8 tabs (1 for each item history and 1 for each backpack, thats if karma provides me the backpack of the person offering and its not private). It would be much nicer to just have a trade tester that essentially showed all these items, their "backpack price", when it was last updated, # in existence, histories for each item, the lowest seller for each item and more, as well as spells/etc. This also makes it WAY easier to share your trade, as karma may want to ask 7 people, rather than 7 people opening 8 tabs each, he could just send them this and makes it way easier to share the trade and ask for advice. As you would share a pcpartpicker build, etc.

This is a pretty good idea, but your initial explanation was not clear at all. I didn't understand that this is what you had in mind, and I'm guessing, judging by the response, that the others didn't either.

Assuming I now understand the idea correctly, I think it would be nice if there were some sort of script for this theoretical trade-displayer that would automatically create a shareable trade display with the press of a button on the steam trade offer page. All the information on exact item characteristics and item IDs is already there, so it wouldn't be too difficult to implement, I hope.

edit: just noticed my idea was already in the original post, sorry. Another point: sharing trades with people seems to me to be a bit of a niche market, but if this tool enabled easy opening of various info on trades, it would be useful just for that. As it is, it's tedious to have to open backpack.tf stats page, item history, and SCM on every item when weird offers come in.

13 hours ago, MeFigaYoma said:

your initial explanation was not clear at all

+1

Tbh I still dont see how it'd be necessary because if you need advice with all your trades, maybe you shouldnt do it in first place... way better site priorities than that

Archived