Team Fortress 2 may be getting a bot-fix update? + Valve games on console?

JayTuut

The full interview was put up (now taken down by the school) where he firstly said:

Newell was asked, "Will Steam be porting any games on consoles, or will it just stay on PC?" The answer, as recorded by Reddit user Odysseic, was a vague gesture at unspecified plans. "You will get a better idea of that by the end of this year... and it won't be the answer you expect," Newell said. "You'll say, 'Ah-ha! Now I get what he was talking about.'"

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1j7cOWzTUX6_QVEux3LNy6ZgNqmeLWf_0/view

^ Link to interview after it was taken down on YT

Audio only version taken by another person:

Gabe states: "I'm very aware of the problem (the bot issue) and I think we have some pretty good solutions to fix it" and that "Yes we have updates for Team Fortress 2"

20 hours ago, Abstract said:

Valve already has all the tools necessary to ban bots, they just have to use them. Simple

From what I heard, they couldn't do anything because the better version of their anti cheat (VAC) was on later source engines (1.5 for CSGO, 2 for dota 2) and they wouldn't bother porting tf2 to 1.5/2

So it'll be interesting to see what they do

Even if this gets fixed, I hope people will not run to Valve and Gabe as the 'saviors of PC gaming' again. They need to be held accountable for the absolute dogshit job they did. They don't deserve your money just for existing, make them earn it.

11 hours ago, JayTuut said:

From what I heard, they couldn't do anything because the better version of their anti cheat (VAC) was on later source engines (1.5 for CSGO, 2 for dota 2) and they wouldn't bother porting tf2 to 1.5/2

So it'll be interesting to see what they do

Nothing stops them from manually banning the bots considering they already community ban scam bots on a regular basis and have the ability to find alts quickly based on multiple unique identifiers.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/15/2021 at 11:37 AM, Abstract said:

Nothing stops them from manually banning the bots considering they already community ban scam bots on a regular basis and have the ability to find alts quickly based on multiple unique identifiers.

Manually banning the bots how? They don't really have a working report system.

What I thought they could do (even tho tf2 is free and this probably wouldn't even work since there are SOOOO many) is that they could use the overwatch system they have in CSGO, a player gets reported a lot, so viewed by a trustable member of the community who will watch a demo clip of them and decide whether they're cheating or not but yeah, theres so many that even if that was there and they did manually ban them, another would just pop up in its place anyway.

On 5/30/2021 at 6:58 AM, JayTuut said:

Manually banning the bots how? They don't really have a working report system.

What I thought they could do (even tho tf2 is free and this probably wouldn't even work since there are SOOOO many) is that they could use the overwatch system they have in CSGO, a player gets reported a lot, so viewed by a trustable member of the community who will watch a demo clip of them and decide whether they're cheating or not but yeah, theres so many that even if that was there and they did manually ban them, another would just pop up in its place anyway.

Bots are hosted on the same hardware and IP address combinations, so it's not very difficult for Valve to step in and ban the accounts. They also have tools to automatically ban accounts associated with a "bad actor" and restrict account creation of that "bad actor".

They've done it for Twilight Sparkle, Elder God Heavy and many other well known cheaters. It just takes a lot for Valve to step in and take action despite all the tools at their disposal.

Archived