Any way to dodge price suggestions?

shady_

It seems like whenever I buy a 1/1 hat above 200 keys, someone immediately finds the sale and makes a suggestion on it. In my experience this makes it quite a bit harder to profit on since anyone with half a brain can see what I bought the hat for. Any way I can stop this from happening in the future, or am I out of luck?

Screenshot_20210402-163329_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20210402-163301_Chrome.jpg

There isn't really any way to "dodge" this even if you trade using things that aren't keys, unless you buy said items via paypal and neither you nor the seller discloses how much was paid.

If your BP was private, I don't think they could piece together the suggestion.

Also, whether the price was known or not, I don't think it is usually easy to immediately make a profit, as the hat was just out there for anyone to get.

But after a few months, the price paid becomes irrelevant, and it only matters what similar items are currently selling for.

50 minutes ago, ShadyLampPost said:

someone immediately finds the sale

if you feel like someone is targetting you with price suggestions, then perhaps talk to mods regarding that matter.

as far as "evading" people making price suggetions. well a lot of the time it cannot be helped if items need to be mini-ed and used in other suggestions.

Also, I want my 5 tickets!!!

35 minutes ago, ajdislikesyournamingpolicy said:

if you feel like someone is targetting you with price suggestions, then perhaps talk to mods regarding that matter.

as far as "evading" people making price suggetions. well a lot of the time it cannot be helped if items need to be mini-ed and used in other suggestions.

Also, I want my 5 tickets!!!

Wait, is it punishable to like, "target" people with price suggestions? With the bread head, the suggestor did it out of spite because he wanted the bread head, and I had made a better offer than he did. I was in vatican at the time, and immediately after I bought it he asked me what I paid, and when I wouldn't say, he !bp'ed me. Later I found out he had offered like 200 in unusuals and was upset that the seller had chosen my offer over his. 😕

I don't know if that's really your decision to make, if I'm being honest. Generally I do think the buyer has the right to know what was paid. But I also know what traders can be like, and they'll insist on trying to weasel their way out of paying the asking price over a high-tier like this.

That being said, the context here is a dick move. It might be worth sliding the mods a message over this, since it sounds like targeting.

1 hour ago, Norah said:

I don't know if that's really your decision to make, if I'm being honest. Generally I do think the buyer has the right to know what was paid. But I also know what traders can be like, and they'll insist on trying to weasel their way out of paying the asking price over a high-tier like this.

That being said, the context here is a dick move. It might be worth sliding the mods a message over this, since it sounds like targeting.

Even if it is, does it matter? There’s nothing inherently wrong with the suggestion. Just adding new data to the site, all it should be to anyone else 

Setting your inventory to "friends only", or sending the item to a private storage account and continuing trading for a few days would scramble compares, at least on your side. I find sometimes the buyer can be especially emotional about whatever you may have paid, and in rare cases they back out from offering entirely. I think item prices are more destructive when it comes to dealing with these kinds of buyers, not that they don't deserve to know, but that they hold their own pricing abilities to low regard in comparison, and obviously you miss out on a deal.

I don't think presenting valid sales can be considered "targetting" though.

Its either targeted or its people wanting to farm price suggestions to justify being appointed as a price moderator, or just really unlucky.  Aside from that not much you can do its a free market we live in brother.

1 hour ago, Goldman Sachs said:

Its either targeted or its people wanting to farm price suggestions to justify being appointed as a price moderator, or just really unlucky.  Aside from that not much you can do its a free market we live in brother.

For the Vive, It definitely isn't farming suggestions, because the dude hasn't actively made suggestions in 3 years (except once last year). I also noticed he has buy orders for a few other SFB hats, maybe he had his eye on this one? 

7 minutes ago, ShadyLampPost said:

For the Vive, It isn't farming suggestions, because the dude hasn't made suggestions in 3 years (except once last year). I noticed he has buy orders for a few other SFB hats, he had his eye on this ? 

Yes he was trying to buy one and you bought it before him so he just repriced it. Understand that single/two sale suggestions are easy pickings and people go out of their way to do them because its super easy, even if they don't regularly do them. If you don't want your stuff getting updated, the only way is to be private bp. Or buy stuff that has lots of sales so that you are not picked out (only good suggesters really tackle 10+ sale hats)
Normally I only buy stuff Im willing to have repriced (usually repriced by myself).

And even if you are "targeted", there isn't anything wrong with someone just making a suggestion for your hats with completely valid sales. Besides, it's a price suggestion. Not the bible. And even if your stuff doesn't get repriced, it's not hard to find the sale in the compare.

short answer: you can't do anything about it

long answer: you can make a complete report that shows how theyre targeting you and the mods will look into it (xd)

12 minutes ago, ShadyLampPost said:

For the Vive, It definitely isn't farming suggestions, because the dude hasn't actively made suggestions in 3 years (except once last year). I also noticed he has buy orders for a few other SFB hats, maybe he had his eye on this one? 

Lmao not particularly. I've owned unusual vives before and not interested in getting one anytime soon. Just been looking out for hween effects and saw that it exchanged hands so I looked into it and found an easy price suggestion to do that didn't require minis.

1 hour ago, Crog said:

Lmao not particularly. I've owned unusual vives before and not interested in getting one anytime soon. Just been looking out for hween effects and saw that it exchanged hands so I looked into it and found an easy price suggestion to do that didn't require minis.

fair enough mate, that doesn't seem too unreasonable

But that's a good thing though? it keeps hats priced IN date on backpack. Why would you worry about that? you buy a hat for pure, that becomes its new price, and someone gets to make a suggestion. 

7 hours ago, Brown said:

emotional about whatever you may have paid

What? Of course people want to know what you payed, that makes sense. No one wants to blindly buy items right?

10 hours ago, ShadyLampPost said:

Wait, is it punishable to like, "target" people with price suggestions? With the bread head, the suggestor did it out of spite because he wanted the bread head, and I had made a better offer than he did. I was in vatican at the time, and immediately after I bought it he asked me what I paid, and when I wouldn't say, he !bp'ed me. Later I found out he had offered like 200 in unusuals and was upset that the seller had chosen my offer over his. 😕

6 hours ago, raZ said:

Yes he was trying to buy one and you bought it before him so he just repriced it. Understand that single/two sale suggestions are easy pickings and people go out of their way to do them because its super easy, even if they don't regularly do them. If you don't want your stuff getting updated, the only way is to be private bp. Or buy stuff that has lots of sales so that you are not picked out (only good suggesters really tackle 10+ sale hats)
Normally I only buy stuff Im willing to have repriced (usually repriced by myself).

I'm the suggestor for the Bread heads and both of these are mostly right. I offered on the bread heads, got rejected, then saw the sale around an hour later when I had my links up for the bread head still open. Easy suggestion with no other sales. If there was any problem with the suggestion, a mod could have closed it. I talked to multiple mods about the suggestion and whether I should close it. Both mods said to wait it out. I don't see a problem with putting up an easy suggestion on an item I am currently viewing and see a valid sale for. Idiots might say its targeting, but its honestly just an easy suggestion to make. Even if it was targeting, a valid suggestion should still be accepted, as it was.

If you dont want people to suggest your buys here are a few tips

#1, Buy with paypal / cash directly

#2, Buy with items that dont get logged in your bp or hope the user instantly uses said items (not a guaranteed method)

#3, Buy with other game items or a mix of both tf2/csgo for example

#4, Buy with non updatable items (items that cant be priced resulting in both not being updatable (this requires the other user to not resell said item))

#5, Private your bp before you receive the item (this requires the seller to not give out the sale) (this also requires you to not unprivate your bp for a few months)

----

Overall its always a pain to hide sales for suggestions but it is possible.

2 hours ago, MFB Goobie said:

What? Of course people want to know what you payed, that makes sense. No one wants to blindly buy items right?

You mean what others paid. Most serious traders dont reveal any info and its up to a buyer to do the legwork themselves. Lazy, bad traders (that espouse the most) will ask me outright what I paid, because they are lazy they get "my" price. 

@OP,

had I listened to any of this or any of these people (love bp.tf been here since the start even been added by mods years ago threatening to end my trading career if I didn't produce evidence of my legit trades. lol. Glad those days are wayyyy behind us, it ruined tf2..but I digress) my backpack would be worth 1/5 of what it is now.

8 hours ago, raZ said:

And even if you are "targeted", there isn't anything wrong with someone just making a suggestion for your hats with completely valid sales. Besides, it's a price suggestion. Not the bible. And even if your stuff doesn't get repriced, it's not hard to find the sale in the compare.

The issue here is mostly the fact that if you buy a hat at a rather low price with the intention of selling it on for profit, people will see the price suggestion on the page straight away and look at what you have it listed for, laugh and walk the other way. Example: Here's my Distant Dream Globetrotter: https://backpack.tf/stats/Unusual/Globetrotter/Tradable/Craftable/168

I bought this from a scrap auction. This was within 1 or 2 weeks of the smissmas update dropping, Scrap didn't have pictures of the new unusual effects and not a lot of people seemed to know what the new effects were like (or were just more interested in the cloud effects.) 50 keys for a pretty reasonable, all class, 1 of 2 (1 of 1 at the time), not from the same case as the effects hat. Now if we look the effect's page, you'll see the next 3 hats priced above mine are generally cheaper hats than mine. Had mine listed at 100 keys, then later 90 for quite a while before deciding I might as well keep it, I felt my listing was certainly reasonable/in line with the market for Divine Desire/Distant Dream. Problem is everyone sees the suggestion for 50 keys and has no interest paying anywhere in the realm of 90 for it. 

So yes, while it's a suggestion, a low suggestion on a nice hat can make people think you're an extortionist for listing it so far off the suggestion.

1 hour ago, Alecto said:

The issue here is mostly the that if you buy at a rather low price with the intention of selling it on for profit, will see suggestion on straight away and look at what you have it listed for, laugh and walk the other way. Example: Here's my Distant Dream Globetrotter: https://backpack.tf/stats/Unusual/Globetrotter/Tradable/Craftable/168

I bought this from a scrap auction. This was within 1 or 2 of the smissmas dropping, Scrap didn't have pictures of the new unusual effects and not a lot of seemed to know what the new effects were like (or were just more interested in effects.) 50 for a pretty reasonable, all class, 1 of 2 (1 of 1 at the time), not from the same case as the effects hat. Now if we look the effect's page, you'll see the next 3 priced above mine are generally cheaper than mine. Had mine listed at 100 , then later 90 for quite a while before deciding I might as well keep it, I felt my listing was certainly reasonable/in line with the for Divine Desire/Distant Dream. Problem is everyone sees the suggestion for 50 keys and has no interest paying anywhere in the realm of 90 for it. 

So yes, while it's a suggestion, a low suggestion on a can make think you're an extortionist for listing it so far off the suggestion.

Even if your hat didn't have a suggestion, it wouldn't be hard to just check what you paid for which is what I said at the end of my post - it's not hard to find the compare. It's no one else's fault if you buy something for cheap and then no one wants to pay 2x the amount 

Archived