So how in hell?

Some lucky guy

Imma keep this short and say that someone traded me a peppermint swirl revolver for 8 ref. Pretty normal to me, a revolver for 8 ref, while more then i expected still a fine price to me. So anyways a few days later (today) i find its selling for over 1k IRL dollars. What is tf2 and how is this a thing?

Screenshot_20210322-202134_Steam.jpg?wid

It is only listed for that. No way it sells for some silly price unless someone is using it to transfer funds between accounts.

If you look at community listings, you will see how much the last few have sold for. If you want to sell yours, I suggest starting a little higher than the last average selling price and seeing how you go from there.

You can list anything for any price on the SCM from a range of $0.03 to $2,000.00 (assuming your currency is set to USD). For example, you could list a rare 1-of-1 spelled burning flames unusual for $1,500 if you think some collector will be interested in it one day and snag it off of the market for that absurdly high price, despite the fact that people are selling that unusual hat for much lower prices, such as $25. The reason the Peppermint revolver is showing up as "Starting at $1,797.50" is because, like other skins, you are very unlikely to be undercut when listing skins. The reason for this is that there are just so many different skin varieties! The reason there are so many different varieties of skins is because there are a lot of skins that can be war-painted, and there are 5 different wears. 45 different paintable weapons * 5 different wears = 225 different varieties of a skin that can be listed on the SCM FOR A SINGLE WAR PAINT! And this is without taking into account the fact that skins can be Strange, Killstreaked, and/or Unusual!

As for why this user has it listed for this absurd price, there are two possibilities I see: they're fishing for some poor rich whale to dump a ton of cash on this game because they don't know how skins should be priced and they don't know that they could just buy a war paint to make the skin to save themselves over $1,600. Or, reason two, they just have it listed as a way to quickly move Steam funds across accounts. There's several reasons why a person may want to move Steam funds from one account to another, but one common one is that they're a scammer and they need to move funds away from an account they've just burned. Moving funds this way takes away about 13%, but that's much better than the alternative of losing 100% once your account gets trade-banned.

1 hour ago, Mariogeek2 said:

You can list anything for any price on the SCM from a range of $0.03 to $2,000.00 (assuming your currency is set to USD). For example, you could list a rare 1-of-1 spelled burning flames unusual for $1,500 if you think some collector will be interested in it one day and snag it off of the market for that absurdly high price, despite the fact that people are selling that unusual hat for much lower prices, such as $25. The reason the Peppermint revolver is showing up as "Starting at $1,797.50" is because, like other skins, you are very unlikely to be undercut when listing skins. The reason for this is that there are just so many different skin varieties! The reason there are so many different varieties of skins is because there are a lot of skins that can be war-painted, and there are 5 different wears. 45 different paintable weapons * 5 different wears = 225 different varieties of a skin that can be listed on the SCM FOR A SINGLE WAR PAINT! And this is without taking into account the fact that skins can be Strange, Killstreaked, and/or Unusual!

As for why this user has it listed for this absurd price, there are two possibilities I see: they're fishing for some poor rich whale to dump a ton of cash on this game because they don't know how skins should be priced and they don't know that they could just buy a war paint to make the skin to save themselves over $1,600. Or, reason two, they just have it listed as a way to quickly move Steam funds across accounts. There's several reasons why a person may want to move Steam funds from one account to another, but one common one is that they're a scammer and they need to move funds away from an account they've just burned. Moving funds this way takes away about 13%, but that's much better than the alternative of losing 100% once your account gets trade-banned.

It's not just hoping someone will buy it off the SCM (@ the first possibility), it's a common scam to try sharking less-knowledgeable traders via showing that X item is listed for some super-high price on the SCM.  From my memory, it used to be pretty common in dota 2 trading.

Gonna be funny when that skin somehow sells for 1000 US and a scam similar to Pina Polished pops up again.

1 minute ago, karma miguel said:

pina polished scam?
link?

Sadly, I can't find the links for that anymore.

Basically what happened is that someone bought a pina skin for a very high price, and since BP uses average steam sales as pricing, it shows as an extraordinary number on the item page (like 20+ keys or something), some traders use this as an opportunity and use it shark newer traders (scam is the wrong term sry). For awhile, you can see a couple of listings that people are selling their pina flamethrower for like 10 keys (either he thought it could get 10 or he is a victim of a shark). 

Hope I explain well

4 hours ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

Sadly, I can't find the links for that anymore.

Basically what happened is that someone bought a pina skin for a very high price, and since BP uses average steam sales as pricing, it shows as an extraordinary number on the item page (like 20+ keys or something), some traders use this as an opportunity and use it shark newer traders (scam is the wrong term sry). For awhile, you can see a couple of listings that people are selling their pina flamethrower for like 10 keys (either he thought it could get 10 or he is a victim of a shark). 

Hope I explain well

that's why automated Backpack.tf price estimations using SCM sales isn't always accurate, it's a common problem for Killstreak Fabbers/Kits/Weapons too unfortunately

Yeah I don't know if this is still being used to shark people but I see a lot of new traders selling their awful skins for inflated prices simply because they saw its estimated value in their backpack.

Archived