Help Me Understand...

[RCR] The Red Cross

Okay so take this example:

You buy a Killstreak Bazaar Bargain (KS BB) for | $1.39
You buy the parts to upgrade it for             | $2.05 ($0.06+$1.99, parts plus kit)
You now have a SP KS BB and have spent		| $3.44
You then do this again for another		| $3.44
And buy a PRO KS Fab for 			| $15.95
And the parts for 				| $1.72
Your total is now				| $24.55 (3.44+3.44+15.95+1.72)
You craft and the kit is worth			| $24.54
However after commission, you recieve		| $21.35
For a total loss of				| -$3.19

I have repeated this with a couple of weapons and found that you cannot profit using SCM to create KS weapons.

What am I missing? Why would anyone bother?

Notes:

• Used AUD figures
  • Have not looked at purchasing from other sites, only SCM
  • You need to Spec KS weapons to make a Pro KS (with parts)

If you buy the parts (kit, fabricator, item itself) and complete all, therefore, you'll get a prof. ks. kit, does not mean that this kit will worth exactly the same as the constituents you bought. Because of the fee and the price differences there can be a small or even huge difference between the prices. Sometimes it is better to buy the spec ks. weapons itself (probably from another site). The total loss is exactly the difference between the amount you receive after commission and the value of the kit.

1 hour ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

Your total is now				| $24.55 (3.44+3.44+15.95+1.72)
You craft and the kit is worth			| $24.54
However after commission, you recieve		| $21.35
For a total loss of				| -$3.19

If I got it right, you spend 24.55 to make a 24.54 kit. And the loss is the fee. It means that it does not worth to craft it and sell on SCM. I usually complete only those I really like and try to buy the things for a lower price. If it is expensive then I also check SCM, other sites to know where would be the cheapest to buy. You know, there are some really low 1-3 ref buy order for prof ks fabricators that is worth a lot more. If you can buy any of them a lot cheaper than its usual price then you can make profit. 

2 hours ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

... you cannot profit using SCM to create KS weapons.

I think this is the gist of the conversation.

Tell me if I happen to misunderstand your first post.

2 minutes ago, yoghur7 said:

If I got it right, you spend 24.55 to make a 24.54 kit. And the loss is the fee.

Yes, the fee and also the time it took to do all the rest. I feel as though, acknowledging that steam cannot exactly do anything about it, players should have ways to invest time to create profit without arbitrage. It irks me that you can buy tickets and spend time crafting and you are more likely (by a large margin) to lose than to make profit or even make back what you spend. 

So for starters idk why you're paying over $1 for your ks item, the cheapest usable ones are around 40-50 cents.

Good combos will sell for more than the lowest price, especially any FH or TS/Violet non-hypno.

3 reasons why someone would craft kit to sell:

1) Noob mvmer gets it on their 3rd tour, and for whatever reason crafts it.

2) Anyone getting kits from buy orders has a high chance of it being worth it to craft, especially if the seller was a clueless noob mvmer who, like you, thought the lowest seller was all they could get for their TS-FH Rocket launcher fab.

3) 2c grinders who's inventories are filled with parts do not need to care about your part price, for us the (battle-worn) part* price on scm is 4 cents because that's what we would get after the seller fee. Taking into account our discounted parts it's only $2.90 in parts to craft a pro fab. Our worst usable ks kits only give us 40 cents so 0.8+2.9 = $3.70 crafting cost for pro ks kits. Divide by .85 to account for the fee and any kit selling for over $4.36 would be a "profit." Now personally I'm also paying extra fees on ticket prices from steam so I generally only craft my pro fabs if I think it's gonna go for over $7, everyone is different based on where they are selling kits and buying tickets.

*It also appears you're using battle-worn price for everything when there's 16 reinforced parts that all cost 3 cents/1 cent).

54 minutes ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

So for starters idk why you're paying over $1 for your ks item, the cheapest usable ones are around 40-50 cents.

Good combos will sell for more than the lowest price, especially any FH or TS/Violet non-hypno.

2) Anyone getting kits from buy orders has a high chance of it being worth it to craft, especially if the seller was a clueless noob mvmer who, like you, thought the lowest seller was all they could get for their TS-FH Rocket launcher fab.

3) 2c grinders who's inventories are filled with parts do not need to care about your part price, for us the (battle-worn) part* price on scm is 4 cents because that's what we would get after the seller fee. Taking into account our discounted parts it's only $2.90 in parts to craft a pro fab. Our worst usable ks kits only give us 40 cents so 0.8+2.9 = $3.70 crafting cost for pro ks kits. Divide by .85 to account for the fee and any kit selling for over $4.36 would be a "profit." Now personally I'm also paying extra fees on ticket prices from steam so I generally only craft my pro fabs if I think it's gonna go for over $7, everyone is different based on where they are selling kits and buying tickets.

*It also appears you're using battle-worn price for everything when there's 16 reinforced parts that all cost 3 cents/1 cent).

As I said in the notes, I used AUD. The cheaper KS weapons end up being cheaper Pro KS weapons. I have a spreadsheet going and the more I add to it, the more I am convinced its not worth

1 hour ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

As I said in the notes, I used AUD. The cheaper KS weapons end up being cheaper Pro KS weapons. I have a spreadsheet going and the more I add to it, the more I am convinced its not worth

40 cent USD still only 51 cent AUS, over half of your 1.39. You do not need a bazaar KS to craft a pro bazaar fab it's any UNIQUE CRAFTABLE spec/normal ks item.

7 hours ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

(...) It irks me that you can buy tickets and spend time crafting and you are more likely (by a large margin) to lose than to make profit or even make back what you spend. 

if there was a profit to be made, everybody would craft killstreak kits constantly until the profit margin would be so low it wouldnt even worth it. In fact it already happened. Why do you feel there would be profit to be made by buying and selling the same kit instantly on SCM?

If you want to make profit, you have better chances looking for deals on kit fabricators, indivitual parts (specialized killstreak weapons). 

Just chiming in here as I've commented on a couple of your other threads,

The market often closes gaps relatively quickly where there are arbitrage moves to be made.  You should be doing the math before going through all the work to see if there's profit to be made.  There can be profit if you get the inputs/fabricators for cheap enough (as others have said), but, assuming your example is a real one, you're definitely overpaying for the inputs.  Arbitrarily limiting yourself to only using the SCM as a source for inputs also does you no favors.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:01 PM, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

4. reason: its sometimes cheaper to craft a pro ks fabricator then buying the pro ks kit. At a level the sheen and the effect also matters and can be sold for more. I got somehow (probably bought an inventory) a cool pro ks fabricator, then completed it and used it because I like that on my weapon. Ocf in this case I did not pay the full price for the fabricator so it was worth it to craft. (like I invested 2 keys for a 6 key kit/weapon)

Personally I buy fabricators whenever I'm running short on money and feel like I can horde a good potential kit for cheap. Crafting materials are always there, a great killstreak effect/sheen are not always.

• 1 month later...

I made good money With this method years ago. Checked a couple months back and it's not worth it anymore

Archived