Why are killstreak kits worth more than killstreaked weapons?

[RCR] The Red Cross

You can actually use the kit on whatever variant of the specified weapon you want, rather than be stuck with whatever the kit's already been used on.

On the demand side you have a very limited amount of people who are ok with a new [weapon] that has any KS, however there will be many people who have a [weapon] already that they want to keep and add a specific KS to. Thus applied KS demand is low and unapplied KS kit demand is high.

On the supply side there is a large amount of various KS [weapons] out there due to people wanting to upgrade/cash out, whereas the amount of [weapon] kits, especially professional ones, is usually pretty low because most of the mvm grinders that get the fabs won't craft them unless they are over $X. Both of these are feed by the demand side as less people who want applied KS items is lower than the supply input and the demand for kits is almost always higher than the supply side of kits.

And thus we get our classic supply/demand graphs where the equilibrium makes applied KS weapons lower cost than unapplied. Thank you for coming to JH econ 069.

Please note that special items may have exceptions to these general rules such as untradeable achievement items and the invasion weapons etc...

I will say that for very expensive and popular killstreak kits, the killstreaked weapons sell for a good amount too.

(e.g. the Iron Bomber.)

Think of it like paints, its worth more when unapplied because you can choose the cosmetic you wish to put it on, but selling a painted cosmetic is usually less expensive than selling the paint itself since it is stuck on said item

On 3/3/2021 at 10:47 AM, Flamentrio said:

Think of it like paints, its worth more when unapplied because you can choose the cosmetic you wish to put it on, but selling a painted cosmetic is usually less expensive than selling the paint itself since it is stuck on said item

Well paints don't have other inputs. It would be like if you needed a paint can (kit) and then gallons of paints (robot parts) and you went to all the effort to amass them and use the worlds worst crafting system to put it together, then your reward is you lose profit...

1 hour ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

Well paints don't have other inputs. It would be like if you needed a paint can (kit) and then gallons of paints (robot parts) and you went to all the effort to amass them and use the worlds worst crafting system to put it together, then your reward is you lose profit...

I get that you're dissappointed about your 'big brain profit strategy' didn't work out, but that's got nothing to do with the post...

A paint can is a single use tool which can be applied to a number of items

A killstreak kit is a single use tool which can be applied to a number of items

They may not come from the same source but that's not relevant

Replying here to this ^ so as not to derail the other thread.

It is just that simple actually.  If you read through the comments they're pretty much all in agreement or don't disagree with the initial couple responses. 

The comment after mine affirms what I said with an added explanation that this is a demand-side reason, then adds a supply-side reason.

The comment after chimes in with a tangential point, not germane to the main discussion.

The comment after gives some 'food for thought' about specialized and professional killstreak stuff.

The comment after uses paint as an example to try to illustrate what my comment and the first "comment after" were saying.

To respond to your new point saying "many of the skinned weapons with killstreakers are again cheaper than stock.",  skinned weapons are not stock weapons so this is not an equivalent/fair comparison.  And as others have already said, the cost of the parts you need to make higher-tier kits is irrelevant.  If we use the paint example, the 'input' cost for paints would be the cost to buy them from the ingame store or the luck in getting one as a drop.

As for your "1)", yes it is.  These are generally accepted principles in tf2 trading.

As for your "2)", you're making a baseless assumption about the people reading the thread.  I'd say it's more likely that people are just curious about what's being said and don't comment so they don't get sucked into a discussion about this like I have. 

Archived