Banned for creating buy orders for spelled items

Led

I am confused. Why is creating buy orders for spelled items not allowed? In this cut-off message, it says something about "skipping the line," but this isn't kindergarten. Can somebody explain? I think this is pretty stupid.

Capture.PNG

Presumably you put up a buy order for an unmodified version of the item and declared in the notes you'd only pay for a modified version of the item.

The full ban reason states: "Line cutting - buying items with spells only. Your list price must be what you are willing to pay for a generic, unspelled item. You may state a higher price for ones with spells applied in the notes."  The reason you can't see that anymore is because your ban expired yesterday.

So why are other people allowed to do this with no penalty whatsoever? Their listings literally pop up for any strange item and they note in the description that they are only looking for strange parts/spells? Here are a couple of examples:

1.PNG

3.PNG

For a very long time the site only had so called "generic" Buy Orders where you're supposed to accept any item offered.

Then in October 2018 fisk (website dev) added the ability "to customize an item in a buy order a little more than before". You can do it on Buy Order dialog page by using the pencil icon.

I don't know if this feature was previously discussed at all. In any case, admins had to edit the site rules after this. Let's look at https://backpack.tf/rules section Buy Orders:

• Point (4) which previously was about all Buy orders now says "a generic".
  • Point (2) is a new one and it describes these new Specific Buy Orders.

Of course there is no clear explanation about all of this, our admins don't like those cause everyone should figure out everything by themselves. Just like with Fake Trade Offer URL on the same BO dialog page

Well, anyway, these new Specific Buy Orders are allowed to be on top and many people (mis)use them to be on top to advertise that they buy Spelled items in the notes. Join the team and do the same. When a lot of people use these maybe admins finally decide to fix this "loophole".

As for your screenshot, just hover on the item to see that these Buy Orders are Specific and thus allowed. Except for Buy Orders from user packsomepuppies. Those are invalid and should be removed. Feel free to report them using the "flag icon" and then wait maybe 2-3 days until Mods actually do something about them.

As you can see by the pictures you are showing, they are listing their items at the LOWER price of what a normal one would cost, and in the NOTES, they are specifying that they are willing to pay more.  In your ad, the one that got you banned, you listed it for 6 keys, which is not what a normal one would go for. That caused your item to be put at the top of the que, which is why it was considered line cutting. 

On 2/26/2021 at 5:10 PM, Led said:

So why are other people allowed to do this with no penalty whatsoever? Their listings literally pop up for any strange item and they note in the description that they are only looking for strange parts/spells? Here are a couple of examples:

-snip-

https://imgur.com/PzmfKg0

The red box is not allowed because their item does not have any customization on it* however the green boxes specify specific ones with specific parts and thus are allowed.

*Yes I went to double check and it doesn't have spells when you hover over it, pretty sure you can't add spells to the customized listings. And since it wasn't allowed I have reported it with that little flag.

What's with this recent spat of bp.tf staff going "I can't figure this out so I'll ban anyone who tries to do so"?

6 hours ago, Spyromancer said:

What's with this recent spat of bp.tf staff going "I can't figure this out so I'll ban anyone who tries to do so"?

Given your recent comments i'm not so sure you quite understand all our rules.

What do you need or want clarification on?

8 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

Given your recent comments i'm not so sure you quite understand all our rules.

What do you need or want clarification on?

Did Brad leave because of the rules lawyers, or did the rules lawyers come out after he left?
It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

Archived