Selling old Scorched Key but Buyer accuses me of wrong Key (which is not true)

Riva Bechtol

So I'm selling an old scorched key, and the buyer doesn't understand that it's only viewable as Scorched on 3rd party sites like backpack.tf. So I send the trade and then the buyer accuses me of selling the wrong key and screenshots the "Regular" Key being offered as a trade, and then is threatening me with having me trade banned by backpack and other sites. Basically setting me up and then blackmailing me. How do I let Mods and the right people know this guy is out trolling and is trying to get honest people screwed over. I don't want to have an issue and I'm an old school trader that mostly collects for myself. So it's important to me that my Rep is good. Here is his profile: https://steamcommunity.com/id/Jack2002/ . And here is the Chat Log:

[2:31 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    Hi, Whats up?
    Post a comment on my profile if you need to discuss. cya!

[2:35 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    hi
    are you selling Scorched Key?
    i saw your post on 
    Pricing, Trading and Statistics for Team Fortress 2
        backpack.tf: statistics, prices, and a whole lot more for Team Fortress 2,
        Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and other Steam games.

http://backpack.tf

[2:37 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    yup, yup.  2 Keys + 10 Refined.

[2:40 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    so we have a trade?
    2 keys + 10 ref

[2:42 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    sure. let me get it organized from my BP and I'll send a trade.

[2:42 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    ok

[2:49 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    I had to Re-add you as a friend
    accept and I'll send trade

[2:50 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    sure

[2:51 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    You sent Babi Gordans a new trade offerView trade offer

[2:51 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    lol
    u are funny mate

[2:52 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    huh?
    you not want the collector key?

Babi Gordans:
    this is not collector key

Riva Bechtol:
    yeah it is, I double checked on backpack and everything

Babi Gordans:
    yha yha
    i checked too
    nice try

Riva Bechtol:
    it shows as a reg key accept on backpack
    huh?
    it's the correct key

[2:53 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    no its not
    u dont have Scorched Key in ur inventory
    what do you really want?

Riva Bechtol:
    ok then, I'll cancel trade and you send one and pick the key yourself

Babi Gordans:
    i will report you

Riva Bechtol:
    nothing to report
    are you trying to scam me?
    your wierd

[2:55 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    you try to scam me
    thats a problem

[2:55 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    nope
    I'm a good person and experienced trader
    I did nothing wrong at all
    I've dl'd this chat and taken the screen shots

[2:56 PM]
Babi Gordans:
    Screenshot
    Captured with Lightshot
    http://prntscr.com/105zdve

no?

[2:57 PM]
Riva Bechtol:
    everyone in the whole world knows that the collectors keys are only viewable as their original key on 3rd party site like backpack.tf. Collectors keys don't display thier original properties in steam
    go to my backpack right now
    the key is in my 1st slot
    Riva Bechtol's TF2 Backpack
        Riva Bechtol has about  items in their TF2
        backpack, with an estimated value of 64,280.33 ref, 1,259.04 keys, $2249.81.
        View Riva Bechtol's backpack on backpack.tf.

https://backpack.tf/profiles/76561197971552691

maybe you don't understand collectors keys

Have they actually filed a report against you here or anywhere else?  Also, 3rd party sites like this one cannot issue a trade ban as they're not run by valve.

I haven't seen anything so far, this just happened a couple hours ago. I'm not really sure what to do and I was concerned he would post something on my Rep here, or try and complain falsely to someone else, like Valve. That's why I posted here for assistance. I'm a pretty low volume trader these days and it kinda freaked me out, that this guy would contact me about an item I had for trade on backpack. Then offer the selling price, then not understand what he was buying, and then accuse me of somehow falsifying the Scorched Key. It was really weird and totally unexpected.

13 minutes ago, Riva Bechtol said:

I haven't seen anything so far, this just happened a couple hours ago. I'm not really sure what to do and I was concerned he would post something on my Rep here, or try and complain falsely to someone else, like Valve. That's why I posted here for assistance. I'm a pretty low volume trader these days and it kinda freaked me out, that this guy would contact me about an item I had for trade on backpack. Then offer the selling price, then not understand what he was buying, and then accuse me of somehow falsifying the Scorched Key. It was really weird and totally unexpected.

People are dumb everywhere.  You should see some of the messages I get on eBay.  If he's not actually filed any reports then there's nothing for you to do.  I don't think Valve cares about scam accusations unless cash is involved, and even then they don't often issue trade bans.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If he reports you on Steam, there's not really much you can do, but Valve aren't really going to do anything either. As far as I'm aware, Valve doesn't ban/restrict people from reports alone. You have to do some really seriously messed up stuff to get banned off Steam, and by then it's usually too late for the scammed. As for bp reports, I'm not too sure about that; I've never had to dispute a report on my profile.

I really appreciate the feedback on this one guys. It was just so weird and from out in left field that this came up. I figured if the buyer found the item on backpack.tf, they would understand what it was before they offered on it. I've changed my seller description on the Scorched Key to indicate exactly what it is and how it's viewed, so that this weirdness doesn't happen again. I'll reply here later if for some reason "Babi Gordans" ( https://steamcommunity.com/id/Jack2002/ ) tries to pull anymore shenanigans. I'd suggest anyone trading Collectors Key's take note of this guy and keep an eye out. They may also want to update their descriptions to indicate how the Key's are viewed on backpack.tf and in Steam. As it appears too much to expect that people know what these Collectors Keys actually are.

Archived