How to Price Check (unusuals/warpaints/etc)

[RCR] The Red Cross

Here are some tips to go through before you make another thread asking for a price check. Also check the comments as I am sure other people will contribute. 

=============================================================================================================================

1. Use Backpack.tf (effectively)

• Open the home page
  • Trading -> Classified listings
  • Use the search filters (the more specific, the better) to find your item

or

• Navigate to your backpack
  • Hover the item
  • Visit BOTH stats page and classifieds (stats page will let you see how many of this item exist, how old the price is, etc)

Do NOT

• Type the name in the search bar and price based of the drop down prices. They may be old or outdated.
  • Forget to look at paints, parts and killstreaks 
  • Forget to check levels, craft numbers and craft/uncraft

=============================================================================================================================

2. Use the Steam Community Market

• Open steam
  • Community -> Market
  • Browse by Game -> TF2
  • Search item name then apply all the filters you need
  • Remember, if there is only a couple of listings, the price is probably inflated. This is common with new items and will settle over time. Always look at buy orders
  • You can also look at your inventory and select the item -> View Community Market Listings

3. Use common trading sites. (these will change so please research before using these example sites to find up to date sites

• Visit marketplace.tf / mannco.store / etc
  • Search for items using filters
  • Take the dollar value as is or divide it by the price of keys ON THAT SITE (do not use the SCM key prices on marketplace.tf or vice-versa) to obtain key price of the item
  • Again, if there is only one seller, the price may be inflated

4. Use bot sites (again, these change, do some research)

• Visit the TF2Autobot discord and search in the #community & #community2 discords for your item to see if it has been traded recently
  • Search for your item on gladiator.tf
  • Remember that bots will always buy at quicksell prices and the actual value may be a little higher, use this as a guide of what people are willing to pay and receive for the item

5. Use baazar.tf (last resort)

• Visit bazaar.tf
  • Use the search tab to add items, the use the drop down on the items to add the filters. 
  • Check both buyers and sellers
  • For warpaints, visit your backpack (drop down on top left, over your profile picture), click on your item and select "Find Buyers" or "Find Sellers"

or

• create a listing (5 free for non-members) then on the listing, click on your item and select "Find Buyers" or "Find Sellers"

General other tips:

• Use more than one source, especially if there aren't many sellers on your primary source
  • You may be the first to have this item, look at items of a similar wear or effect and just put the price up and wait it out. If you followed these tips and still can't price, don't expect someone out there to have a magical answer. Someone might offer you a reasonable price that's less than your jacked up price, take it if you want or wait. But remember, prices fall as more of the items hit the market.
  • If someone tries to shark you, direct them here and maybe they will understand that you have done some research
  • Check back here to see what other users have written/updates/more advice. These things change, websites close, bot sites migrate
  • How much you paid for the item isn't generally relevant. Maybe you got ripped off and paid 10 Refined for an Ellis' Cap. That's on you. Sell it for 1.33 and learn from your mistakes.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

too many words zzz

tl;dr for classifieds:

classifieds search -> for weapons type the weapon, for unapplied paints type in War Paint -> add filter for effect of choice (hot, cool, isotope, energy orb) -> search.

for example, i want to look at hot miniguns i just type in minigun and go under effect filter and add hot.

and like magic, here it is

if i want cool war paints i just perform this sorcery

from there you also get to see generic buy orders for ANY weapon/war paint of that effect regardless of the condition its in.

you could get more thorough with it by using the Texture & Wear filter but it's case sensitive. so if you're looking for something like Totally Boned you have to type it exactly like that otherwise you aren't gonna get anything out of the search.

• 2 weeks later...

How do you check prices for killstreak kits? On the classifieds all killstreaks are clumped into one item so I have no idea how to find specific kits. Lets say I want to look at all listings for standard killstreak medigun kits, how would I find them? The stats page filters listings properly for that specific kit but I can't figure out how to do that filtering myself. 

[RCR] The Red Cross
1 minute ago, Lach said:

How do you check prices for killstreak kits? On the classifieds all killstreaks are clumped into one item so I have no idea how to find specific kits. Lets say I want to look at all listings for standard killstreak medigun kits, how would I find them? The stats page filters listings properly for that specific kit but I can't figure out how to do that filtering myself. 

While it is a little annoying. Open up Classifieds -> Three dots next to search bar -> "Item" -> The first bar in the item tab is where you search for an item, under that is a drop down that should be changed to "Find recipes where the output item is used on this item". Then put the name of the weapon in the search bar.

6 minutes ago, [RCR] The Red Cross said:

While it is a little annoying. Open up Classifieds -> Three dots next to search bar -> "Item" -> The first bar in the item tab is where you search for an item, under that is a drop down that should be changed to "Find recipes where the output item is used on this item". Then put the name of the weapon in the search bar.

thank you kind sir, worked perfectly