can we have a talk about the '29-30 refined for a key' auctions in Scrap.TF that's basically a scam?

splo.ode

I want to make this quick as I see people entering these auctions. These auctions are complete rip-offs. So, Scrap.TF, when you bid an item, reduces it's value by half, meaning that a 30 ref value item will now be worth 15 ref. So, some new trader stumbles upon these auctions and bids on one, They'll get scammed out of atleast 10-20 ref. The only thing Scrap.TF doesn't reduce the item value on is refined metal; But the people running the auctions know that, which is why they remove these items from being able to be bidded.

I know some people in the trading scene are fairly experienced and know what are rip-offs and what are not, But new traders don't. So I'm informing you, when you see one of these auctions, just stay away. It would be better to inform people in the comments of the auction to not go to these auctions and bid on them, but the least you can do is just stay away and inform newer traders about this. It's a complete waste of money and items.

Example for proof. (I saw an auction that was wanting over 35 ref of pay, sadly I couldn't find it.)

1791579450_picproof.png.1ae52351a00de84f708aa8d2924c9d52.png

The thing is every auction lists what level of item factor the auction is set at, so it should not be a surprise. Most don't do 100% item factor as backpack.tf's prices can be out of date, with the item no longer selling at that value.

And you're also missing the main point of these style of auctions: They're meant to be used as dumping grounds for people who have been having a hard time selling particular items. It allows them to sell of the item at only a moderate loss, thus getting pure back so they can try making profit with different items.

scrap.tf doesnt "reduce an items value by half". it sounds like you have no clue what you are on about. its all up to the auctioneer and people know why they are like that.

• 1 month later...

Not a scam, it's called looking for overpay for a key, a common practice in higher tier trades. Many people on scrap act as if auctioneers making profit is a scam, when it is anything but. If anything, auctioneers get scammed, as most commonly high value items only ever go for barely above buy orders. The key auction is perfectly reasonable, and even if it is a bad deal, it is no scam. Traders need to educate themselves before bidding, and if they don't, they will suffer the consqeuences, that is all.

• 2 months later...

Really old post but I'll give my position.

I sometimes do these types of auctions to bulk buy some rubbish that someone wants to get rid of.  It gives them an option to sell to me at once 5-10 keys worth of goods rather than one at a time to backpack buyers (usually equal to or slightly higher than the buylist price) but usually higher than what scrap would pay, and in some cases scrap doesn't buy them or is overstocked.  They aren't always scams some people just want to do a quick sale without going one at a time to backpack.

And yes as Excentric mentions I sometimes get rekt on them especially if I include skins in the trade.  There is some risk to me when I do them.

Archived