Help me getting into unusual trading

HypnoCat

Yo, i have been trading since i became a premium user a while ago, i got scammed a couple of times when i was new on the trading world but that's another story, the point is that i have been trading normal hats the whole time and i think it's time to get myself an unusual, i know i am not the best trader, but i can get like 2 keys of profit every week or so (slow i think) and i want to start saving keys for an unusual. but the real questions are:

-What unusual should i pick to start trading? because i heard that low tier unusuals are really, really hard to trade and get some profit

-How can i tell if an unusual is duped? i know that those unusuals are worth waaaaay less their original price

-Any tips to get even more profit weekly? i mean, to get keys faster, and thus, get the unusual faster

I know these questions may sound a bit to stupid, but i dont feel ready to unusual trading, so i want to learn as much as i can before getting directly into it.

dont be rude >.<!

Avoid 3rd gen and robo effects as they're cancer. 

3rd gen effects: Miami, Disco, Aces, Dead Pres, Terror watt, Kill a Watt

Robo: Time Warp, Green black hole, Electrostatic, powersurge, anti freeze, roboactie, memory leak, over clocked, sulphourous, phosphorous.

Duped doesn't matter. 

You don't really want to get into unusual trading, it takes a toll on you. You may think that's stupid. Everyone told me that, and I didn't believe it until I experienced it. But if you insist:

By personal experienced, just sit on a hat and wait for a great offer to come by.

Collects are willing to pay a lot for your hats, I've had massive overpay given on my cloudy moon hat and fetti hat because the owner wanted it so badly.

Avoid trading your hat for killstreaks, vintages, and low crafts, those are almost impossible to get rid of.

Use backpack.tf as a baseline, not as a bible.

Try to be firm, but don't scare the buyer/seller off.

Don't be afraid to offer on anything, the worst they can do is reject, or call it a lowball.

Try to avoid the newer effects as AwesomeMcCoolName had said, they're declining, and almost every trade has "No new effects" In the notes.

Never quicksell.

This is just a thing I do, but I usually check the buyer's playtime with a class before offering to see if they'd desire that specific class' hat.

As Awesome said, don't worry about duplicated hats at this stage. That difference is negligible at your stage. You'll likely be able to only flip Steaming/N&B at the moment. You'd likely be better off flipping around those keys and that metal a bit more. Once you have 13/14/15 keys, you'll be able to get into the safer Confetti area. The worst thing that you can do with unusuals is buy a Steaming Heavy hat for 10 keys just because it sells for 12 keys (once every three months).

When you make a trade, put as little in the notes as possible, as large paragraphs detailing everything you do and don't want offered makes people skip your trade. Also, not putting a B/O in the trade makes you get more offers, but does open the way for MASSIVE lowballers. Additionally, keep your trade active and hide all declined offers to show viewers that you're active on the trade and respond quickly. Lastly, even if it's the lowball of the century, just hide it and move on, don't be that asshole that insults bad offers, as again, that scares potential buyers.

thanks to everyone for the info. i think i will stick to my normal hat trading untill i have enough keys to start in the  "safer confetti area" as Julia said.

i will come here again (soon i hope) and bother all of you guys with my dumb questions when i get enough keys to get an unusual. but i will be here in the forums reading any new reply though.

thanks again to everyone who posted. it really helps me a lot

Personally, I really love 3rd Gen effects, but I kinda (for some reason) like the things that others don't.

Anyway, back to ur question, it's really what the others have mentioned, Don't take craft #s, Vintages, Odd Level Items, Collectors, Killstreaks. And if u want to trade unusuals, heavy and engineer hats can be a pain in the butt to sell. 

Best of luck :D

if u want to get into unusual trading, avoid nuts&bolts, massed flies, orbiting planets and bubbling, along with most of the robo-effects exept for the black holes and sulphorous, those are fine. also, avoid most of the heavy hats, there mostly cancerous unless burning flames or green black hole.

if u want to get into unusual trading, avoid nuts&bolts, massed flies, orbiting planets and bubbling, along with most of the robo-effects exept for the black holes and sulphorous, those are fine. also, avoid most of the heavy hats, there mostly cancerous unless burning flames or green black hole.

Actually, N&B sells fairly quickly if done right.

nb, flies, planets, and bubbling all sell just fine with planets and bubbling being the hardest of those 4. ALL robo effects are crap--including Green black hole/time warp/sulph/phos. No one really wants to touch them due to their unstable nature.

Avoid 3rd gen and robo effects as they're cancer. 

3rd gen effects: Miami, Disco, Aces, Dead Pres, Terror watt, Kill a Watt

Robo: Time Warp, Green black hole, Electrostatic, powersurge, anti freeze, roboactie, memory leak, over clocked, sulphourous, phosphorous.

Duped doesn't matter. 

Disco and Miami Sells quite nicely from experience.

Also, I have 2 bubbling hats I get great offers on, a Bubbling Beak and Bubbling TC Got offers of 5+ in unusuals on the tc, and 4 on the beak.

Disco and Miami Sells quite nicely from experience.

Also, I have 2 bubbling hats I get great offers on, a Bubbling Beak and Bubbling TC Got offers of 5+ in unusuals on the tc, and 4 on the beak.

2nd gen effects are easy sells. But, you got really lucky then. 3rd gen/robo effects are utter cancer unless you go on a server and even then there blegh. 

Archived