Scam Attempt or am I overreacting?

Purple Smart

Context:

Frendo, out of the blue, sent me a message that he accidentally reported me because me mistook me for someone who scammed him and has possessions of duped items, and now he wants to make me add this "Steam Admin" (Though I asked him if its Steam Moderator and not admin, he said yes).

Screenshot

unknown.png

Checked his SteamRep.tf, I'm not sure if there's any special rep (or badge) for "Steam Mods"

"Steam Mod"'s Profile in question:

unknown.png

Sus? Or am I really just overreacting?

There is no such thing as Steam Admin or Steam Moderator. There is only Valve Employees and Steam Community Moderator.

Valve employees are people who work in the valve company while SCM are people who mainly work on the steam discussion page.i still have no idea why these scammers make utter stupid statements of 'steam admin/moderator' when it doesnt even exist...

Also, Valve employees will contact the consumer via email only.they will never contact on the steam platform itself. For the SCM,they will contact on the steam platform but you will get a notification on your account that shows 'new community message' or something like that

3 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

Also, Valve employees will contact the consumer via email only.they will never contact on the steam platform itself. For the SCM,they will contact on the steam platform but you will get a notification on your account that shows 'new community message' or something like that

This is not entirely true, steam support tickets can also be viewed and opened on the steam application

Your friends account has more than likely been hijacked (they must've logged into a phishing website) and a scammer now controls their account.

Steam administrators will never contact you through steam friends chat, and there is no such thing as item verification or checking if something is marketable etc. All item information you need can be viewed from your own inventory.

1 minute ago, Zeus_Junior said:

This is not entirely true, steam support tickets can also be viewed and opened on the steam application

Your friends account has more than likely been hijacked (they must've logged into a phishing website) and a scammer now controls their account.

Steam administrators will never contact you through steam friends chat, and there is no such thing as item verification or checking if something is marketable etc. All item information you need can be viewed from your own inventory.

ahh right,forgot about the steam support as well

• Purple Smart locked this topic

Archived