What if valve did another golden wrench type event to help fix the economy.

Nexalotl

So if valve did another golden wrench type event, having a small chance to get a super rare item when crafting a hat, this could help the economy. If people start essentially destroying insanely large amounts of refined metal, the value of it will go up. This could be the even we need to help get the economy back on its feet.

Because there's no way to obtain Refined Metal via a 1st party besides weapon drops, and it takes weeks to get 3 refined metal just off smelting down weapons from drops. Thus it'd rely on players trading and buying refined. Valve wouldn't be in to making an event that tells players "go buy up refined on 3rd party sites and services or via trading to participate in this event!". That immediately ends the viability of Valve making this idea a reality.

But if it did happen, you'd see the following take place:

1) The value of the special items you can craft versus the cost to create them end up looking like the risk vs reward of obtaining unusuals from cases/crates.

2) As such, anyone that really wants one would likely prefer to just wait until the event is over to pick one up for whatever price they end up as, reducing the amount of people participating.

3) Refined prices go up as high-end traders scoop up as much as they can in the first day or two to sell for a profit.

4) Once the event is over, refined prices fall back down and everything goes back to normal as they continue to be worthless due to the fact that there's no way in hell that you make a big enough dent into the millions of existing refined with an event like this given the points above.

"But what if the items obtained from the event are untradable and thus you HAVE to participate to get them?"

Then you'll see 85% of the refined that would have been burned not being burned, because the sole purpose for high-end traders who don't play the actual game to participate would have been to quickly obtain these special items and sell them while the hype is high for a profit.

2 hours ago, mikey boi said:

Because there's no way to obtain Refined Metal via a 1st party besides weapon drops, and it takes weeks to get 3 refined metal just off smelting down weapons from drops. Thus it'd rely on players trading and buying refined. Valve wouldn't be in to making an event that tells players "go buy up refined on 3rd party sites and services or via trading to participate in this event!". That immediately ends the viability of Valve making this idea a reality.

But if it did happen, you'd see the following take place:

1) The value of the special items you can craft versus the cost to create them end up looking like the risk vs reward of obtaining unusuals from cases/crates.

2) As such, anyone that really wants one would likely prefer to just wait until the event is over to pick one up for whatever price they end up as, reducing the amount of people participating.

3) Refined prices go up as high-end traders scoop up as much as they can in the first day or two to sell for a profit.

4) Once the event is over, refined prices fall back down and everything goes back to normal as they continue to be worthless due to the fact that there's no way in hell that you make a big enough dent into the millions of existing refined with an event like this given the points above.

"But what if the items obtained from the event are untradable and thus you HAVE to participate to get them?"

Then you'll see 85% of the refined that would have been burned not being burned, because the sole purpose for high-end traders who don't play the actual game to participate would have been to quickly obtain these special items and sell them while the hype is high for a profit.

Collectors/whales would likely still chase it as the cost for each 'chance' at the special item would be very little and people want bling, so it wouldn't be a bad or ineffective sink like you're suggesting at the end.  The main issue with something like this is that it's only temporary (i.e. however long the event lasts/however long it takes for all the special items to be 'crafted').

I still love the idea that someone had that you could make "New Zealandium" weapons that would be black and silver, from all the refined. They could something to make that work.

• Confused 2

My personal ideas for some good refined sinks:

1) A set of new noisemakers. Add a half dozen disposable noisemakers and make it cost 2-3 refined to make a random one.

2) Introduce a craftable tool that can be used on a skin/warpaint to give it a new random float value

3) Make an item linked to a Steam badge and Steam profile exp. The more metal you throw into it, the higher the level it goes. Could even have it instead asking for random items like the chemistry sets.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

5 hours ago, mikey boi said:

Valve wouldn't be in to making an event that tells players "go buy up refined on 3rd party sites and services or via trading to participate in this event!". That immediately ends the viability of Valve making this idea a reality.

However, this is exactly what happens for bread crate (or I can remember the name of the crate) where you can create crate with refined.

Reducing the amount of refined is not bad. But this is anothing to todo with any "fix" of any economy.

Even with key at 1000 ref, what is the diff (beside backpack storage). Free player will never get free key. But they can have free hat for each 3 ref.

Pay 1 keys, and you have 1000 ref.

I've been having a similar idea for quite a while, I think I suggested it to the TF team a couple of years ago.

Basically, add a new recipe where, with X metal you can craft an untradable keyless cosmetic "refined metal" case . In the ref case, you'll find any hat that you could craft but you'll also have the chance to obtain an unusual hat with a metal-themed effect. You could even add a strange cosmetic that lets you show how many crafts you've done.

The catch? The hat would be untradable and unmarketable.

What are the pros?

- hats are untradable, so the economy wouldn't get flooded with unusuals, so no crate depression 2.0 ;

- F2P will be able to use the metal they stocked by playing to open a case and get the chance to obtain an unscammable unusual;

- whales will spend a lot of metal to get the shiny new effects;

- having a permanent decent metal sink will help stabilize the economy;

Cons

- hats and effects are random, so a lot of people could get de-incentivized by that, but this could be fixable with a class-specific case, obtainable with the class tokens;

- no market benefit other than a metal sink, so traders would not use it, but I consider this point as a pro;

- depending on the amount of metal needed to craft the case, this could easely become another useless crafting recipe;

I know there are a lot more pros and cons, but I just wanted to list the first 3 that came up in my mind. I really hope we will get something along those lines in the game, because we really need a good metal sink

6 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

3) Make an item linked to a Steam badge and Steam profile exp. The more metal you throw into it, the higher the level it goes. Could even have it instead asking for random items like the chemistry sets.

I like this one

7 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

My personal ideas for some good refined sinks:

1) A set of new noisemakers. Add a half dozen disposable noisemakers and make it cost 2-3 refined to make a random one.

2) Introduce a craftable tool that can be used on a skin/warpaint to give it a new random float value

1) Noise makers are kinda annoying, and I don't see them a lot. 

2) A charm (purely cosmetic), like in R6 would be cool, either tradable or untradable for collection or aesthetic purposes. 

3) Refined in crafting chemistry sets would be cool. 

I like those ideas, maybe an update to crafting menus and having more craftable items, with lower value, would be cool as well. 

11 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

This please. Then I can stop cringing at all those outrageous "gem" skin prices in promoted slots.

On 12/1/2020 at 3:46 AM, mikey boi said:

They did the same thing but you could only craft hats.