Am I in the wrong?

Dmsnaz

If youve seen my previous post im literally new to trading and unboxed a bread heads unusual with the gravelly ghoul effect. Thankfully most of the community has been super helpful and i now mostly know red flag. For some context this man messaged me right after he saw my previous forum post and he was ok and i asked for 800 keys because i was told that was a lower but not too low amount my hat could go for. But today he messaged me about a vamp vanquisher unusual and i said no because i just wnted pure because i have no idea what unusuals are valuable or not. But then i looked i up and it was worth under 100 keys. and i then said hell no again because its such an undercut then we got into a small argument and he then blocked me. I just am asking am i in the wrong for what i said and believed? Here some images of the convo891342949_Screenshot2020-10-05at10_43_42PM.png.6aadd981ee8c4c6022c901885160db90.png576272872_Screenshot2020-10-05at10_43_54PM.png.5a2b91a4e24af71ce41c848823f9cdcf.png2106670984_Screenshot2020-10-05at10_43_26PM.png.36ef2c274890144406db98ba7420bd24.png

Nah, you're not in the wrong. The dude was trying to take advantage of your lack of trading knowledge and lowball the hell out of you. He got defensive because you caught him and called him out on that.

Any serious or reputable trader would know you have every right to be cautious and defensive with your items, especially since we're talking a 4-figure value here. Besides, if the offer was mixed like he claimed it was going to be, he could've easily led with something like "I can't do 800 pure, would this hat + X Keys work?"

you need to understand

most people adding you to try and buy that thing are going to try and sell it for double or triple what they wanna pay you

no is a valid answer

you're doin alright

You did good. As I said in your previous post, hold on to your unusual tight because you'll get tons of greasy little fuckers like this guy trying to shark you due to your lack of knowledge. Don't feel bad. In fact you should feel good that you didn't buy into it, because I know tons of other inexperienced traders like you tend to get fucked by sharks. I don't know how many people have messaged you, but PLEASE post your trade  offer into here/seek advice from a trusted and experienced trader to get advice, because no one wants to see this item get sharked and listed for 5x more the buying value. NOT directly accusing, but I can see a Verdatica Breadcrab listed for 2000 keys right now which was traded for almost immediately after the update, and I almost guarantee that he paid nowhere near that. Again, not accusing. But it happens.

the only thing I have to chip in is that you're better off not wasting your time discussing anything once you see how bad of an offer it is  I would've blocked the guy then and moved on with things

Can't believe how out of hand this is getting and that admins allow a witchhunt thread to be opened.

1. The vamp vanquisher has no price, it's just released with new effect.

2. The bread head also has no price, it's just released with new effect. 

3. Saying "all g" to his initial decline should be sufficient enough to show that I wasn't being pushy with it either? 

4. I had never made an official offer - I didn't want to waste his time by offering a hat he wasn't interested in, how is that unreasonable to think of? As seen in the chat, I simply asked if he was interested, not "hey I want to 1:1 this hat for yours". 

I am totally fine with his decline that's not an issue. The issue that I have is he's made previous accusations about how anything I said was a 'scam' or 'lowball'. Like I said, I had never made an offer. 

8 minutes ago, Goobers said:

Can't believe how out of hand this is getting and that admins allow a witchhunt thread to be opened.

1. The vamp vanquisher has no price, it's just released with new effect.

2. The bread head also has no price, it's just released with new effect. 

3. Saying "all g" to his initial decline should be sufficient enough to show that I wasn't being pushy with it either? 

4. I had never made an official offer - I didn't want to waste his time by offering a hat he wasn't interested in, how is that unreasonable to think of? As seen in the chat, I simply asked if he was interested, not "hey I want to 1:1 this hat for yours". 

I am totally fine with his decline that's not an issue. The issue that I have is he's made previous accusations about how anything I said was a 'scam' or 'lowball'. Like I said, I had never made an offer. 

dude cmon.... you wanted to take advantage of him being new to the scene...

Just now, hawaiian pizza said:

dude cmon.... you wanted to take advantage of him being new to the scene...

like you damn well know that a vampire vanquisher is a straight downgrade to the bread heads

Just now, hawaiian pizza said:

like you damn well know that a vampire vanquisher is a straight downgrade to the bread heads

I feel like none of you actually read what's in front of you and jump on the bandwagon. Like I said, that wasn't the full offer. Asking someone if they're interested in xyz hat is not against any rules nor against any ethical standards this community holds itself up to. 

If I have a hat you're not interested in, why would I waste your time + my time making an offer involving that hat? 

More than happy for the kid to post up our entire chat history conversation for context rather than just a short snippet. 

You are definitely in the right here by declining. I would suggest you joining the BP discord, and asking there about any offers you get as there are experienced traders who would be more than happy to give their thoughts on any offers you get. Glad you didn't fall for this guy.

4 minutes ago, Goobers said:

I feel like none of you actually read what's in front of you and jump on the bandwagon. Like I said, that wasn't the full offer. Asking someone if they're interested in xyz hat is not against any rules nor against any ethical standards this community holds itself up to. 

If I have a hat you're not interested in, why would I waste your time + my time making an offer involving that hat? 

More than happy for the kid to post up our entire chat history conversation for context rather than just a short snippet. 

ooo ye

post up the whole chat history

I wanna see the juicy sharkin action

4 minutes ago, Goobers said:

The guy didn't even list his hat for sale and you added him to offer a mercenary grade for his elite grade. When he calls you out on it you insult and block him. Making trash offers like this won't get you banned but we all know what your doing is predatory. 

5edbd23c89f82 (1).jpg

1) We don't incite witchhunts, we close threads as soon as we can and when they're reported, we're not always online on the forums.

2) To the OP of the post, next time you post screenshots of chats, make sure to blur out the name and picture of the other party to prevent any hate going his way. 

3) To the other people on this thread, stop arguing. This isn't the place for it. 

If you wish to discuss this any further, take it to private chat on Steam/Discord or anywhere.

Note to the OP: If you wish to know what's a good offer and what isn't, join the backpack.tf discord. There are people there willing to help you.

Locking this thread to prevent any more hate and spam.

• Derpyyyy locked this topic

Archived