h0wLze_

Question about TF2 currency in CS:GO items.

h0wLze_

Say I wanted to sell a CS:GO knife that has 445 USD buy orders, going off of Steam Community Market. Say I want to sell this knife for around 285 TF2 keys, how would I compare the buy orders of this item to my selling value? Could I say that the buy orders are at 241 keys, as 445 USD can purchase that amount on Marketplace.tf? I also can't find a website to find accurate buy orders and values of the knife, any recommendations? 

Scott Bakula

You would need to do a little more math to factor in the steam fees and such.

So, if you sold it at the buy order of 445, after Steam takes their cut, you'd be left with $378.25. Then, you would divide that by the current going rate of keys on the SCM ($2.32 currently), leaving you with a value of 163 keys. And to get a USD value of selling that directly on the secondary market, multiply that by the going rate of keys on places like marketplace ($1.85), giving you a buy out value of $301.55.

h0wLze_
19 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

You would need to do a little more math to factor in the steam fees and such.

So, if you sold it at the buy order of 445, after Steam takes their cut, you'd be left with $378.25. Then, you would divide that by the current going rate of keys on the SCM ($2.32 currently), leaving you with a value of 163 keys. And to get a USD value of selling that directly on the secondary market, multiply that by the going rate of keys on places like marketplace ($1.85), giving you a buy out value of $301.55.

So you would have to use buy orders through Comm. Market key value? Is there a 3rd party site I can use to get PayPal instead?

Beaser
1 hour ago, h0wLze_ said:

So you would have to use buy orders through Comm. Market key value? Is there a 3rd party site I can use to get PayPal instead?

You can use bitskins if you need cash, or cs.deals if you deal with crypto

Scott Bakula
1 hour ago, h0wLze_ said:

There's plenty of other 3rd party sites out there as well as selling directly to other people. The core point that I was trying to get across is that a $450 buy order on the SCM does not directly translate into $450 cash; You need to account for conversion rates and fees, as otherwise you wind up asking for too much or too little.

AJ ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Steam community market has an almost different currency to actual cash trading, since Steam funds are not able to be withdrawn, they lose a lot of power. As Scott previously said, factor in the steam fee of +15% to the amount you receive (ie. Divide the selling price by 1.15 and you get the amount of funds you receive) and then you cannot use the typical Paypal Cash ratio of $1.7/1.8 to a key as you are not able to buy keys at that price with Steam Funds.

It's dumb because if something is an actually good deal on SCM but you have to put your own money in to get it, it isn't worth it half the time as you could buy keys cheaper with that Cash. If you already have SCM funds or you can sell stuff on market for high prices, then it is.

Lots of trader try to find the margins on items that have the best ref/key to cent/dollar ratio on scm so they spend like a key but get $2.5 or so steam funds which is worth it.

h0wLze_

So if I listed the knife on a 3rd party website that had TF2 keys for cheaper, could I say that I'm asking for x amount in PayPal or 280 keys, even though the value is less than the one on the community market?

Scott Bakula

You can list a product for whatever you want. Whether it will sell or not will depend on you and your price.

As I said before, you need to do the math when converting value from market to market. $450 Steam Wallet translates into 163 keys/$300 USD. So if you think you can sell for about 200 dollars higher than that, go for it.