Was there ever a big cheating problem?

Urist

I’m reasonably new to the tf2 scene (started in late 2018), and I was wondering if there ever was a big cheating problem. Not bots, cheaters. People who were actually behind a keyboard but used cheats (and tried to hide it). The only cheater I’ve ever experienced of this type was a guy who had crit hacks.

It seems to me like cheating in tf2 wouldn’t even give you much of an advantage accept for aim hacks on sniper or scout. It’s not like there’s much point in wall hacking or using some sort of anti aim. Even with aim hacks, if a scout is hitting his shots perfectly but he has garbage movement, he shouldn’t be much trouble. Skill in tf2 is very movement based, and I don’t know of any cheats that can give you good movement.

So has there ever been a major cheating problem?

Cheating has a pretty big community on TF2 but in pubs unless you are involved or get unlucky you won’t see anything most of the time since, as most Niche communities are on tf2, is relatively small compared to the normal playerbase.

I don't recall a single time we had a big cheating problem. For the past idk how many years I haven't spotted a cheater once so I dunno what you're talkin about

There's always people around doing it but aside from the recent mygot (and other) bots I don't think it's really been that frequent in my 3 years. There is a small clan of them you see once in a while (LW) but there seems to be a lot less of them than there was in the past. There is of course new individuals showing up all the time doing it but I wouldn't say they're a huge problem, it seems like they have a lot less power than they used to - I've previously seen cheaters noclip all across the map, crash servers, all that sort of stuff but I can't say I have for a while

lmfao walling gives you an ridiculous advantage, if you think otherwise you're noob af, aimbotting, having silent aim or shit like that as a sniper makes you  invicible. I'd say there's a huge amount of people cheating in comp, much more than in csgo because valve actually cares about an working anti cheat there, they dont give a shit about tf2. and csgo is filled with cheaters so think about it

1 hour ago, ;human said:

lmfao walling gives you an ridiculous advantage, if you think otherwise you're noob af, aimbotting, having silent aim or shit like that as a sniper makes you  invicible. I'd say there's a huge amount of people cheating in comp, much more than in csgo because valve actually cares about an working anti cheat there, they dont give a shit about tf2. and csgo is filled with cheaters so think about it

yeah around 2-3 people get banned on rgl a month for cheating

On 9/9/2020 at 1:00 AM, hyro said:

I don't recall a single time we had a big cheating problem. For the past idk how many years I haven't spotted a cheater once so I dunno what you're talkin about

I thought that was the case.

On 9/9/2020 at 9:18 AM, ;human said:

Ridiculous advantage? Over players of similar skill level maybe, but no one is going to dominate of off just walls. In csgo a noob with no skill but wall hacks can kill everyone. In tf2 it’s not going to take you far unless you are already at a reasonably high level, which has nothing to do with my question.

13 hours ago, Urist said:

Ridiculous advantage? Over players of similar skill level maybe, but no one is going to dominate of off just walls. In csgo a noob with no skill but wall hacks can kill everyone. In tf2 it’s not going to take you far unless you are already at a reasonably high level, which has nothing to do with my question.

you dont know shit lmao

I remember when cheating was pretty bad. Crit hacks, speed hacks, crits + speed, walls, the whole nine yards.

You didn't live until you saw the turbo spinbotting heavy with his infinite crits and no spread

I haven't touched Valve's official servers in a very long time, months, maybe more, so I don't see cheaters at all when I play.

I find it funny to find a cheater in a lobby who is top fragging for a few rounds, then I spend the next round just spectating them (there are spectator detection systems built into most cheats these days) then you watch their score plummet for a round or two before they leave.  It's pretty much a true indication of their worthless talent and more than enough for me to confirm they are a cheater so I will report them, usually they also don't turn off stuff like walls so that's also a good indicator.  Enough reports and steam should investigate their account.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so fed up with these Snipers cheaters everywhere, there were like 10 in a single game the other day WTF.

Now on top of this you come accross a Russian kid using cheat to see invisible spies damn it Valve do something, every single game got cheaters now 

• 1 month later...
On 9/29/2020 at 6:05 AM, Forgivable said:

I am so fed up with these Snipers cheaters everywhere, there were like 10 in a single game the other day WTF.

Now on top of this you come accross a Russian kid using cheat to see invisible spies damn it Valve do something, every single game got cheaters now 

Lol did you even read the question?

Archived