Can Valve Take Legal Action Against the Bot Hosters

Nikspy

I'm sure that everyone knows about the bots in Team Fortress 2. Valve is currently (I hope) working on solving the bot problem, but could they do anything, legally against the bot hosters? They obviously can't and won't do anything against individual script kiddies, it simply isn't worth their time. But what about the bot hosters, who are hosting what appears to be hundreds of bots, that are causing pretty lasting damage to their game. Can they do anything, and if yes, is it worth their time?

You agree that You will not include in any Posted Material any information or assistance regarding software or hardware processes or functionality that may give a player an unfair competitive advantage when playing multiplayer versions of any Steam Software, other Valve products, or modifications thereof ("Cheats"), nor regarding the direct or indirect disabling, circumvention, or otherwise interference with the operation of any software designed to prevent or report the use of Cheats.

and then also

If any provision of these terms is deemed unlawful, void, or for any reason unenforceable, such provision shall be narrowed in scope or otherwise amended to the extent necessary to make such provision lawful, valid and enforceable while as nearly as possible reflecting the intent of the parties as expressed in these terms, or, if such amendment is impossible, severed from this agreement.

i mean it's like if Microsoft started a legal battle against websites where you can download hack clients from, yes, it would probably go though and they could probably win it, but someone can literally just make another website. So the entire point of stopping it wouldn't stop the problem, and the legal fees involved make it not worth it.

tl;dr for valve it isn't worth it as someone else would just host bots.

It always puzzle me, why are these fuckers doing this ?

Why ruining a lovely game like TF2 ? Why dont they go on Wazone or Battlefield, or Fortnite whatever shit kids are playing today.

27 minutes ago, Forgivable said:

Why ruining a lovely game like TF2 ? Why dont they go on Wazone or Battlefield, or Fortnite whatever shit kids are playing today.

To get reactions from people, that's all

25 minutes ago, Abstract said:

To get reactions from people, that's all

It's even pointless from a cheater's perspective, you aren't even the one getting the reaction. There's nothing to gain from hosting bots.

1 minute ago, Axo said:

It's even pointless from a cheater's perspective, you aren't even the one getting the reaction. There's nothing to gain from hosting bots.

There are dedicated Telegram channels / Discord servers that mirror the chat of servers bots are in

2 hours ago, Forgivable said:

People cheat in those games too.

2 hours ago, 0093 said:

People cheat in those games too.

That’s totally different. People cheat because it feels good to win. It’s a bad idea, but the motive makes sense. The people who host the bots are just pure evil. They take enjoyment not from winning, but from ruining the experience of others.

5 hours ago, Forgivable said:

Because there's a lot of people that find it fun to ruin people's day or to just be an asshole at other's expense, and TF2 is a free to play game where respawns are quick and maps are small, with well over a decade of coders creating cheats for it, allowing for the most impact for the least effort. Think of it this way, a lot of people like to play troll loadouts and troll/target one or two players to anger them, or a tryhard demo-medic combo that will do anything they can to make people ragequit. Cheaters are exactly like them, just they need more than the core gameplay to get their kicks. Once you have your army of bots up and running and causing mayhem then all you have to do is sit back and laugh at all the "butthurt" people making threads and posts about it and then every couple of weeks change the bot's names for whatever reason.

4 hours ago, Axo said:

No, I'm pretty sure them seeing the massive amount of "OMG FUCK CHEATERS" threads on r/tf2 and the steam community forums counts as getting reactions out of people.

10 hours ago, Forgivable said:

5 hours ago, Urist said:

That’s totally different. People cheat because it feels good to win. It’s a bad idea, but the motive makes sense. The people who host the bots are just pure evil. They take enjoyment not from winning, but from ruining the experience of others.

9 hours ago, Axo said:

They are actually there to farm scrap metal. If they were just there to annoy people, the bot hosters would be deep in debt.

7 hours ago, AliFurkan said:

They are actually there to farm scrap metal. If they were just there to annoy people, the bot hosters would be deep in debt.

Different kind of bots?

18 hours ago, Forgivable said:

My personal take on it is this:  Aside from farming scrap, they are for the most part doing it in Casual mode, not so much on community servers.  The reason I believe is that they are against Casual mode and the way it fractured the community into two halves.  Either they are trying to force more people onto community servers or they hope to put an end to Casual mode.  I personally don't agree with their method.

If you are not aware, there are still methods for idle farming like there used to be and they are still being developed and kept current.  I know of this because I used to be one of those idle farmers a long time ago until Valve asked us to stop, which I did.  I am still hold a mild interest in it so I still try to keep up to date as to what's happening.  If a bot owner is using bots to farm metal, they are likely aware of the other simpler methods which still allow for mass idling and are way less resource dependent.

10 minutes ago, Ranx said:

My personal take on it is this:  Aside from farming scrap, they are for the most part doing it in Casual mode, not so much on community servers.  The reason I believe is that they are against Casual mode and the way it fractured the community into two halves.  Either they are trying to force more people onto community servers or they hope to put an end to Casual mode.  I personally don't agree with their method.

If you are not aware, there are still methods for idle farming like there used to be and they are still being developed and kept current.  I know of this because I used to be one of those idle farmers a long time ago until Valve asked us to stop, which I did.  I am still interested in it so I still try to keep up to date as to what's happening.  If a bot owner is using bots to farm metal, they are likely aware of the other simpler methods which still allow for mass idling and are way less resource dependent.

Cheaters farming scrap would be useless because when they get caught and VAC banned, all their items will be locked so they won't make anything out of it

any proof af vac banned bots? most bots i see are able to votekick and micspam (that means they are not f2p)

lot of them reaching 3000 hours too, would love to see some profiles with vac bans tbh

So cathook is detected?

i guess i missed the cathook 2020 vac wave l0l

Archived