TF2 Summer Update + Poll

Erik

Favourite new effect?  

62 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite new effect from the Summer 2020 Update?

• Smoldering Spirits (+variants)
    • Prismatica (+variants)
    • Kaleido-Scope
    • Bee Swarm

Link to the official Valve blog: https://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=63310

Update includes a new case, 22 new items, 4 new unusual effects and a few patches including fixing the australium medigun/wrench drop rate. 

The new unusual effects include:

-Smoldering Spirits (+variants of this effect)
-Prismatica (+variants of this effect)
-Kaleido-Scope 

-Bee Swarm
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/browse/?appid=440&searchtext=&childpublishedfileid=0&browsesort=accepted&section=mtxitems&requiredtags[]=Unusual+Effect

Thoughts on the new update and the new unusuals effects? 

neweffects3.png

Had a look at them in game:
Spirits (+2 variants) are nice but a bit small
Prismatica (+3 variants) are absolutely sick, want

Kaleido Scope is very bright but doesn't seem to actually line up with the head? As you move around the person wearing it the effect moves. I can't say I really like the colours of it

And bees is definitely a lot more visible than flies but still I don't see myself ever owning it by choice lol

And I'm not really stoked on any of the hats tbh...

I love the effects but the fact that these effects are case locked is just so disappointing and depressing. I was so excited to be able to see things like, a Prismatic Head prize, or some new effect quickswitch miscs but, guess not this update :(

Lets get a F in the chat for ACTUALLY god-tier hat/effect combos.

1 minute ago, ⇄ | Pollen said:

Apparently you can only unbox these effects on the same Summer 2020 Cosmetics. It will make most of them low tier 100%

Tell that the gargoyle cases, and these can be unboxed with gen 1-3 effects too. I think all these hats will end up being on the rarer side. Shame that most of the hats are mediocre.

Prismatica is going to be the best out of the 4 and is going to be very expensive as it comes in team shine variants, I wonder if it would change color with team or you have to have 2 different variants  

4 minutes ago, « SɱokEy » said:

Prismatica is going to be the best out of the 4 and is going to be very expensive as it comes in team shine variants, I wonder if it would change color with team or you have to have 2 different variants  

It's blue when on red team so I presume it's not team coloured

4 hours ago, fenfen said:

Lets get a F in the chat for ACTUALLY god-tier hat/effect combos.

This.
Any chance of this being a memorable update got squashed when it comes down to what these effects are locked to. You'll be lucky to unbox something that doesn't look like absolute dogshit as a hat, and even if it IS unusual you could get boned with something like Nutz & Bolts still.

Seems like Valve is testing out case specific unusuals with this one again... kind of like The Invasion update. 

11 minutes ago, TraceofCakes said:

This.
Any chance of this being a memorable update got squashed when it comes down to what these effects are locked to. You'll be lucky to unbox something that doesn't look like absolute dogshit as a hat, and even if it IS unusual you could get boned with something like Nutz & Bolts still.

Seems like Valve is testing out case specific unusuals with this one again... kind of like The Invasion update. 

Personally I think that there'll be a time elapsed before they allow regular effects to be unboxed, personally.

1 hour ago, Zoinks said:

Kaleidoscope is too messy. There is way too much going on with that effect.

That's what people thought at first about Bonzo...

IMO this will be the highest tier effect here

I really like Prismatica, and I can easily see it becoming the most sought out of all the new effects. Kaleidoscope and Smoldering Spirits are pretty nice too, though it's a little disappointing to see yet another unusual effect that's just fire. Bee Swarm is probably my least favorite. It's not as flashy as the others, and it would probably only look good with a few specific cosmetics. Still though, it's a great release overall, and it's sure to set the bar high for any future unusuals.

15 hours ago, BlazingHailfire said:

Tell that the gargoyle cases, and these can be unboxed with gen 1-3 effects too. I think all these hats will end up being on the rarer side. Shame that most of the hats are mediocre.

The Gargoyle case had much better hats like the Prehistoric Pullover and Duck Billed Hatypus, and you can clearly see that the only expensive versions of these hats are the 1st gen, Smissmas or Scream Fortress effects. 

The case effects on the Gargoyle Hats are just extraordinarily over saturated, it will no doubt happen here as well. Too many people unboxing for that to not be the case. I do think the effects are generally better than Gargoyle ones though

On 8/21/2020 at 10:38 PM, RockSolidWood said:

Personally I think that there'll be a time elapsed before they allow regular effects to be unboxed, personally.

What do you mean? You already can. 

https://steamcommunity.com/market/listings/440/Summer 2020 Cosmetic Case

Look at the case, and then take a look at the effects you can get alongside it. 

Archived