[Question] Are video recordings accepted as evidence against scammers?

FanTir

Hello everybody, I am kinda new around this site, so I have a few doubts I would like to resolve.

Around a week ago, I have picked up low-tier trading, as I was interested in trying it out and learning a bit how to make profit. It seems that I am doing quite well thus far.

However, recently I have encountered a scammer on a minecraft trade server that, upon joining, wanted to start trading.

They wanted to sell me roughly 20 Refined Metal worth of taunts at a price of my 2 Keys. Of course, I have cancelled the trade with the scammer immediately, blocked them and reported them on steam.

I tried my best to report that scammer on this site, too, but unfortunately, as this was the first time I have encountered a scammer and had a need to report them, I failed to gather valid, decisive evidence against them (Note: I can't present friend chat window as evidence, as I have never added them, and the only interaction I've had with them was on the trade server, and the trading window chat).

I want to make sure that the next scammer I encounter will not get away without any consequences.

So, here is my main question; are video recordings (aside from the screenshots as the guide on reporting users says) of scammers attempting to scam accepted as valid evidence when reporting users?

Thank you for your time.

8 minutes ago, Scott Bakula said:

Not really seeing evidence of a scam here, just a lowball offer.

I am unsure how I am meant to describe that. The best term that seems to be the most applicable here would be a sharking attempt and lying about item prices.

Of course, if none of these things is a reason for a penalty of any kind, then I will refrain from reporting these kinds of acts.

Not really a scammer from the way you described,  most likely just a kid that thought his taunt that he bought from the in game store for 5$ is worth that much. Either way, not a scam, just a very uneven trade that didn't even occur, don't know why you went so far to reporting him.

29 minutes ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

Not really a scammer from the way you described,  most likely just a kid that thought his taunt that he bought from the in game store for 5$ is worth that much. Either way, not a scam, just a very uneven trade that didn't even occur, don't know why you went so far to reporting him.

He has been using the backpack.tf site to report me in direct response for calling him out. He has been reported by other members of steam community, being accused of scamming. He has received a VAC ban. If you would like to get more details about the incident, I can provide a link to my report.

Here it is: https://backpack.tf/issue/5f3ad41717ca0515770c8e7a

As for the scammer, I seriously doubt that he was just a kid trying to sell the taunts he bought from the mann co. store.

He gave me a false negative trust rating, stating that I have been overpricing items, and that I have been asking him to give me conga for 1 Refined metal. I have reported that, so it has been removed.

Either way, that is not the point of this thread at all. Case has been closed, and I didn't have enough proof for staff to be able to do anything about it. I just mentioned it to provide some context to me asking the main question.

The actual point of this thread is me asking if Video Recordings are accepted as evidence in reports.

I would be grateful if anybody would be actually willing to answer my question, instead of going deeper into this outdated incident.

to answer your main question, this website does not accept videos because:

1.they are affiliated with steamrep so if they accept video evidence,steamrep will not give a ban on them depending the type of scam done so it could create a confusion

2.they probably are scared that when you put the evidence on the video,it could be a crop/photoshopped/edited picture and they have no way to identify if the picture/evidence shown on the video is raw or not. They use a particular kind of website that can detect a picture if it is changed or is raw printscreened hence videos cannot be accepted

Pertaining about your 'scam', it is not a scam because i too did the same thing by using the mann co store price as real price though he is pretty weird because he attempted to report you on bp.tf which means he knows the price of what 99.9% of people uses so I am assuming he thinks the world revolves around his mind. If he continues to do the same thing, just block him and move on.

2 hours ago, TriggermannGuy_ said:

So, here is my main question; are video recordings (aside from the screenshots as the guide on reporting users says) of scammers attempting to scam accepted as valid evidence when reporting users?

We do not accept video evidence and require screenshots.

Video evidence used to be only accepted when we handled a spycrab runner report, which we stopped doing. (Should report spycrab running to the community it happened on, not here)

Archived