Tips for price suggestions?

Wade loves keys

So, I'd been away from TF2 and its trading community for a couple years and I am wanting to start creating price suggestions on bp.tf, but I'm just not sure of the best way to go about it without getting a shit ton of downvotes, thus the suggestion being rejected.  Is there any experienced traders/market goers that could perhaps help me out and/or lend me a few tips on suggesting prices for items?

Right, I've never been a huge suggester, but the ideal ways to allow for the reprice for an item is as follows (to my knowledge) You need several sell examples. Having just one example for a reprice isn't substantial enough evidence at all, as majoritively you'll need more than just one significant sale. As well as this, look into marketplace sales on the item/unusual and steam market if possible. Certain programs allow the user to see sales and values on steam inventory etc, but this shouldn't be needed here. Any marketplace sales should be translated into money, then into the cheapest key option, ie marketplace cheapest sales for keys. From there, you'll need an accurate reprice, from the collation of all the different proof of sales, so if there are only a sale at 20 keys, and another at 25, then the low end would be 20, high being 25, makes sense, right? Minis for other items are difficult if items are fully unpriced, but if something unpriced is sold with no other suggestions, use the current roundabout value of the item you traded for. So if the item you trade the unpriced item for is worth 32 keys but has sellers for around 23 then I would look to adjust the price to the selllers currently price item. I might be wrong here n there, but if you want to add me I'll do my best to explain any further if possible

2 hours ago, RockSolidWood said:

then into the cheapest key option, ie marketplace cheapest sales for keys. 

here's where you're not quite right, for mp sales, you take the cash value of the sale and divide it by the median price of keys on that day, rounded to follow the rounding rules. so lets say the item sold for 40 usd and keys were 2 dollars, the item would be 40/2 = 20 keys

as for my 2 cents on suggesting, premium will help you out a ton but it's understandable if you don't wish to buy it, it's 5 bucks after all. Maybe you could wait for the next pricing event to pick up some free premium as well as a team to make suggestions with, imo pricing events are the best ways for one to learn the basics of suggesting.

also, if you would like to use an unusual to price another unusual, you have to make sure this unusual's price is in date, ie. it was last priced within 3 months ago. If not, then you'll have to make a "mini suggestion" to update the other hat first before you can use it to price your hat.

sales within the last 3 months are valid, and any sales which occured past the last 3 months are invalid, so do keep within the valid sales timeframe. there are some scripts available on the bptf discord which if you have chrome and tampermonkey will make life as a suggester way easier.

screenshot the classifieds page when you've made your suggestion and upload the pic to an image host such as imgur and include this information in your suggestion. While it's not necessary, it's good practice in case of sudden market shifts or to determine outliers by looking at current sellers or buyers.

good luck and welcome to suggesting :)

1 minute ago, - B u r n said:

here's where you're not quite right, for mp sales, you take the cash value of the sale and divide it by the median price of keys on that day, rounded to follow the rounding rules. so lets say the item sold for 40 usd and keys were 2 dollars, the item would be 40/2 = 20 keys

I was sorta trying to say that.... In a terribly backwards sorta direction, but yeah thats pretty much it lmao

Another tip for finding sales is to look through all past suggestions of the item, and open every single compare to find the history of the unusual traded, some will still be inactive though others could have moved.

It will be a little time consuming, though that's what you do when you don't have premium .

Looking at the google cache of the page might also give a history or a buyout

11 hours ago, Tree Goat said:

Another tip for finding sales is to look through all past suggestions of the item, and open every single compare to find the history of the unusual traded, some will still be inactive though others could have moved.

It will be a little time consuming, though that's what you do when you don't have premium .

Looking at the google cache of the page might also give a history or a buyout

this is inefficient, you can just request histories from people with premium

On 8/6/2020 at 11:20 PM, - B u r n said:

this is inefficient, you can just request histories from people with premium

Supposedly that is against the rules. Or it was, some time ago. Because you're not paying anything to bp, its using its engine to get around others paying for premium, therefore a possible dangerous offense, but I'm not certain.

16 hours ago, RockSolidWood said:

Supposedly that is against the rules. Or it was, some time ago. Because you're not paying anything to bp, its using its engine to get around others paying for premium, therefore a possible dangerous offense, but I'm not certain.

it is actually perfectly fine, you can request histories from the price mods in the bp discord also 

20 hours ago, RockSolidWood said:

Is not against the rules, you can request assistance from the BP.tf discord and we will help. Also using cache is unreliable and inefficient, bot.tf classifieds snapshots work better if you ask me.

Archived