I like knockback.

Urist

Yeah. I said it. I like knockback. Many people vocally oppose knockback because "any mechanic that restricts movement is bad". I think it's a good (and fun) mechanic, and it doesn't deserve the hate that it gets. Here's why:

Note: I mostly have casual experience with the game (a little comp). I main medic and play soldier alot. I'm decent at scout and demo.

When you dish it out:

1. It's fun to knock people around.
  2. You can pop people into the air for airshots or easy damage as they hit the ground.
  3. You can keep people (like demonights) from getting too close.
  4. It's good to counter ubers.
  5. You can keep people from getting through chokepoints.
  6. You can knock people off of cart and control points.

Ok, I think everyone can agree that knockback is fun when you are the one dealing it, but what about...

When you get hit with it:

1. You can surf it. This is a huge one. Surfing is one of my favorite mechanics/techniques in the game. When you surf knockback you purposefully exaggerate it's effect by crouch jumping as soon as you get hit. This launches you into the air where you can air strafe to your heart's desire. You can surf all kinds of knockback like rockets, grenades, stickies, minigun bullets, and melee. Most of the following points come around to surfing.
  2. Knockback provides epic escapes. This is especially true for medic at the end of an uber. You can surf knockback to safety on many occasions. You would be surprised how often crouch jumping and strafing around a corner while being hit with a stream of minigun bullets saves your life.
  3. Eliminates counter jumping. Annoying betas will often counter jump when being attacked by a soldier or demo. The chad move is to surf the knockback from you enemies attacks. You can do this on any class as an offensive maneuver. 
  4. It's funny. Being launched across the map is bound to spark some laughs.

Anyway, that's my opinion. I like knockback.

Bonus weapon idea: What if medic had a melee (or maybe primary. idk) that reduced explosive damage but increased knockback? I think that could be cool.

honestly i dont have a problem with knockback when you're being punished with it. but its just weapons like the scorch shot that does knockback and stun you that annoys people.

points 5 and 6 in "when you dish it out" are basically the same thing. same goes for points 1 and 2 from "when you get hit with it". another thing, subjective opinions shouldn't really be reason when writing persuasive 'essays'

also this isnt a good place if you want to talk about tf2 mechanics. you can if you want to, but i mostly only see traders that dont play casual/comp tf2 that much so you its not a good place to talk about tf2 as a game.

Knockback in tf2 is fair enough for me , but i dont like things like pyro airblast spam especially against ubered duo, it just feel unfair.

Archived