Insane item prices after 2 year hiatus

CyberCat

Okay, here's the context: I used to be an incredibly active player in tf2 and the trading community since 2016, but it stopped being that appealing to me in early 2018s so i took a break. Now i am returning to tf2 after "liquidating all my assets" aka selling my items for keys then steam wallet, but i am incredibly shocked by the insane prices presented on all trading sites...

Can anybody explain the reason of this price jump that has happened while i was away? like something must have happened...

i mean back before i took a break a mann co key was 21ish refined metal but now its pushing 60??????????????? 

i remember the conga used to be a cheap taunt for who wasnt able to buy the kazotsky kick but now it nearly doubled in price???

the flippin awesome taunt was 6 ref... 6 REFFFFF.... now its about 29 ref?????? jesus

i know its not a big deal for the ones who linked their bank account to their steam wallet and are buying keys like groceries, but here in my country the price of the local currency relative to the US dollar has decreased by /10 due to the corruption and CRAZY inflation so now everything is INSANELY PRICED and theres no chance of buying steam wallet these days.

TLDR: i came back to the tf2 scene after 2 years and i just want to know what caused the massive price hike. 

Same thing as it's always been.  When I started playing tf2 keys were 2-2.33ref.  There is no effective metal sink, so metal just devalues

Devaluing of metal, two economic events that happened (crate depression and unusual taunt depression, though the crate depression had limited effect on the economy thankfully), the release of all class cosmetic crates that essentially devalued all class unusuals. The rise of trade bots in low-tier trading etc

Lots have happened in your hiatus, when I came back a month ago, I was shocked by the changes as well

A mass increase in supply from new cases and unboxing glitches, plus a lot of price gauging on expensive niche items, Collector's, discontinued effects, Strange Unusual Weapons, stuff like that. With most Unusuals out there being worth way less now, nicher stuff has blown up, and the old concept of the "mid-tier", is essentially dead. More people are forced into buying the same items as each other, so there's way more demand, and prices skyrocketed.

At least that's what I attribute it to, there's dozens of things that have changed in the last four years.

On 7/23/2020 at 3:10 PM, Norah said:

A mass increase in supply from new cases and unboxing glitches, plus a lot of price gauging on expensive niche items, Collector's, discontinued effects, Strange Unusual Weapons, stuff like that. With most Unusuals out there being worth way less now, nicher stuff has blown up, and the old concept of the "mid-tier", is essentially dead. More people are forced into buying the same items as each other, so there's way more demand, and prices skyrocketed.

At least that's what I attribute it to, there's dozens of things that have changed in the last four years.

On 7/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

Devaluing of metal, two economic events that happened (crate depression and unusual taunt depression, though the crate depression had limited effect on the economy thankfully), the release of all class cosmetic crates that essentially devalued all class unusuals. The rise of trade bots in low-tier trading etc

Lots have happened in your hiatus, when I came back a month ago, I was shocked by the changes as well

That's insane, i mean I've seen a lot of examples of metal devaluing and/or mid tier deterioration but this time its way beyond what i expected from a 2 year break..

Archived