People are getting scammed...help

Toad

Dealing with alot of impersonators is kinda expected at your size, even at my modest size im getting an average of 1 - 3 different impersonators at a time. Privatizing your comments is the best way I have found to limit the chances for this to happen. 

Doing other items like putting "Impersonated" in your name and a warning in your description can help, but most people will never really read it / understand it.

Another good thing to do is private your friends list (you can also make it friends only if you want, just dont make it fully public), I have found some impersonators add via a friends list looking for victims.

Overall this is just from my experience so I could be missing something.

22 hours ago, Wsdea said:

None of my customers are being added by an impersonator anymore.

Nice ad.

34 minutes ago, Wsdea said:

Thanks, if you guys think I should make my script public tell me

Doesn't sound like a bad idea at all, thats all i can say :D

On 6/23/2020 at 3:00 AM, HarryG said:

I have asked for this banner multiple times in the past to help prevent scams but it seems like report mods only add it when they have recently received reports of impersonators. Despite having sent to report staff in the past multiple instances of my impersonators they pretty much don't care if they aren't reported officially (and most sensible traders know that a large majority of these impersonation scams are not reported) so it seems kind of ridiculous that the banner isn't given out to anyone who has received multiple impersonators. What is the harm in giving it out fairly liberally, this should be used to help prevent scams and it's treated like it's some exclusive badge of honor which is absurd. 

If the staff really add the banner to prevent scams maybe they should do it when there's evidence of impersonators every time instead of debating over it and/or telling people what to do with their steam profile settings

Can a mod address this please? From my point of view as well, we need to give out these banners more often.

If you are able to show regular impersonation, through screenshots of profiles / archived profiles by SteamID64 / amount of reports or invalid negative ratings received or really any other way to show this, you may create an issue using the 'inquiries' category.

My 2 cents about these banners ... someone decided to put them on Marketplace.tf bots apparently because "they are impersonated often". However, they're mostly impersonated "on-the-fly" with hijacked victim's Steam account scam, they never "pretend to be someone else on backpack.tf", victim doesn't even see the impersonating account in the browser, so the purpose of banners in this case is beyond me.

The banners kind of could be useful to quickly tell real MPTF bots from fake ones (after the scam) but a lot of new MPTF bots don't have the banner anyway. 

Archived