People are getting scammed...help

Toad

The following comment was posted on my profile this morning:

"Hello, I'd like to apologise for the harsh comments. I didn't ask them to, I'm sure you're a wonderful person. I got scammed out of 8 years worth of items, nearly half of my life. I'm sorry I couldn't trade you the hat I offered. An impersonator got me to me first. I would offer you something as an apology but I'm afraid I don't have something really. I wish you luck trading, and thank you for your time reading this." - Graivus 

Especially the last year or two, I've gotten so many messages of people saying they've been added by impersonators and have lost their items, this comment hit me hard however.

So here I am wondering...how the hell do I prevent people from getting scammed when they want to trade with me? It's something that I've always thought about but I can't figure out a solution for it. It seems that whenever someone comments on my profile (or if they send me an offer), an impersonator will reach out to them and redirect them to a sketchy site. This isn't just one or two people, I get messages saying "I got scammed by you/an impersonator" several times a week now.

Does anyone know how I can prevent so many people from getting scammed?

As a person who got scammed before, we can only increase awareness and public knowledge of various scam methods. Everyone that does tf2 trading videos has already addressed these methods. Other than increasing awareness and telling users to use rep.tf, there is not a really a way to prevent scams from happening. 

One way to increase awareness of these scams is that we, as a community, band together to create a megathread (pinned), so that traders (both new and veteran) can add their input, ask questions, gain knowledge of any scam tactics. That megathread can be updated with common tactics as well as new ones, so people can learn and prevent such scams etc.

That or let people experience a harsh reality, but that would be a last resort if you ask me.

Just now, freesito said:

you can't prevent dumb people from doing dumb things

Falling for a well elaborate trick doesn't make you dumb at all. 

9 minutes ago, freesito said:

you can't prevent dumb people from doing dumb things

You can prevent by increasing awareness, I myself thought the scams are dumb until you actually fall for it. Like Phone-Call scams for example, they sound dumb until you start acting irrationally and ended up getting scammed (I am not sure if is common to have phone scams in EU and Americas, but in Asia is extremely common). You can't just say people are dumb and let the problem solve itself, increase awareness, scammers always take the easy route when commiting their acts, so if more people know their act, they stop what they do and move on.

43 minutes ago, Toad said:

whenever someone comments on my profile

Make comments friends-only.

43 minutes ago, Toad said:

(or if they send me an offer), an impersonator will reach out to them

Impossible.

48 minutes ago, Toad said:

how the hell do I prevent people from getting scammed when they want to trade with me? It's something that I've always thought about but I can't figure out a solution for it. It seems that whenever someone comments on my profile

You have a reached a popular phase called being impersonated, so I suggest you put on your Steam Profile something like "impersonated, beware" something along the lines. Additionally, try to get in contact with the mods on this site, let them know that you are being impersonated. They will update your profile with a huge-ass yellow box saying "This user is frequently impersonated" or something. That will deter the scammers to link your backpack.tf profile when they commit their acts.

Thanks for your suggestions.

I will keep a comment on my Steam profile bumped warning people of impersonators, I also added a little warning in my profile description. I will also reach out to the mods about your suggestion Bob.

Ive been scammed before, and impersonates are quite common, I get them pretty much all the time I contact higher tier traders, it is helpful make aware how to spot them though, different level, no items / private inv, etc. Thanks for you doing your part.

As we already shortly discussed on my profile comments, i've sent a message to the other report moderators about giving you the banner.

The solution to greatly reduce this is to make your profile comments private or friends only, though that is likely not prefered

Here is what I do

The solution is to have a bot check the comments on your profile which automatically deletes them.

To avoid losing track on who is who when I get multiple adds, the bot automatically sets their steam nickname to their comments. 

Let me know if you need help doing that. 

i've been scammed when i first started trading and then got impersonator when i was a known trader in tf2.

honestly,you can only do so much for someone and give all sorts of punishment to your impersonator like banning them on steamrep and etc..  nothing else can be done...just ensure on your profile you put up a guide or something as a warning to anyone who is gonna trade with you to check their trades properly

14 minutes ago, Diamond jozu said:

i've been scammed when i first started trading and then got impersonator when i was a known trader in tf2.

honestly,you can only do so much for someone and give all sorts of punishment to your impersonator like banning them on steamrep and etc..  nothing else can be done...just ensure on your profile you put up a guide or something as a warning to anyone who is gonna trade with you to check their trades properly

Stop saying there is no solution, there is one that I just posted above. None of my customers are being added by an impersonator anymore.

2 hours ago, Toad said:

Falling for a well elaborate trick doesn't make you dumb at all. 

"well elaborate", takes 2 secs to make those profiles and none look promising, i did think it was the real deal once too but it took me a whopping 1 minute to realize i'm wrong, you have to be very unintelligent to fall for something like that, or just very very lazy and non-caring.

6 hours ago, Toad said:

I also added a little warning in my profile description

I don't think a warning which requires people to click "View more info" is going to be very effective.

I put my warning on top of my profile page and I still doubt it helps much :(

Backpack.tf could make a warning to "always use rep.tf" whenever people come from steamcommunity.com by checking HTTP referer

but they won't cause they always find a reason not to improve anything.

All I can think of is put "WATCH OUT FOR IMPERSONATORS, i'LL NEVER ADD YOU PERSONALLY" in the top of your description, and close the comments/keep one bumped as I believe you mentioned.

9 hours ago, Toad said:

The following comment was posted on my profile this morning:

"Hello, I'd like to apologise for the harsh comments. I didn't ask them to, I'm sure you're a wonderful person. I got scammed out of 8 years worth of items, nearly half of my life. I'm sorry I couldn't trade you the hat I offered. An impersonator got me to me first. I would offer you something as an apology but I'm afraid I don't have something really. I wish you luck trading, and thank you for your time reading this." - Graivus 

Especially the last year or two, I've gotten so many messages of people saying they've been added by impersonators and have lost their items, this comment hit me hard however.

So here I am wondering...how the hell do I prevent people from getting scammed when they want to trade with me? It's something that I've always thought about but I can't figure out a solution for it. It seems that whenever someone comments on my profile (or if they send me an offer), an impersonator will reach out to them and redirect them to a sketchy site. This isn't just one or two people, I get messages saying "I got scammed by you/an impersonator" several times a week now.

Does anyone know how I can prevent so many people from getting scammed?

disable comments, ask people to contact you through trade offer.

Tell them to add you when they comment so if they get a friend request after they have sent one to you they know its fake.

Theres a lot of things you could do like mention your steam level or join date in your buy/sell orders etc.

I mean kudos to you for trying to fight impersonators, but any trader worth their salt should know how not to fall for them.

18 minutes ago, HaloGAMER0329 said:

Theres a lot of things you could do like mention your steam level or join date in your buy/sell orders etc.

The whole idea behind this scam is that victim sends a friend request and then expects some response from that person,

they have no reason to think that someone else might interfere and that they might need to compare one Steam profile to another,

so this suggestions imho just doesn't work.

15 minutes ago, D.Alex said:

The whole idea behind this scam is that victim sends a friend request and then expects some response from that person,

they have no reason to think that someone else might interfere and that they might need to compare one Steam profile to another,

so this suggestions imho just doesn't work.

I didnt understand what you meant, but if you send the legit profile a friend request and a scammer adds you, you would know it was not the legit profile as they would have just accepted it. If it was the legit profile the request would just be accepted rather than you having to confirm the one the scammer sent. Hence you could say Add me and comment, I will not add you, if someone adds you seconds after you comment its probably a scammer so double check. Idk but its up to the people adding you to protect themselves, theres only so much you can do before it turns into an impractical, ineffective, waste of time. 

Put IMPERSONATED in your name

Note your friends list on profile - you may have some high level friends and some well-known traders added. Scammers won't.

Note Steam level to confirm identity - Can't say I've seen many scammers with eye-catching steam levels.  

Make a note that you don't send random invites on your steam page

Note your backpack will never be private

Unfortunately there are a lot of inexperienced traders out there that don't really understand how to deduce whether or not someone is a liar. 

1 hour ago, HaloGAMER0329 said:

but if you send the legit profile a friend request and a scammer adds you, you would know it was not the legit profile as they would have just accepted it

You know it, I know it, victims unfortunately do not, judging by how often this impersonation method actually works.

23 minutes ago, creepio said:

Note your friends list on profile [...]

Note Steam level to confirm identity [...]

Again, we are talking here about a specific impersonation method - adding people after they left a comment.

I suspect that in many cases it goes like this:

- all of this without even visiting impersonator's profile.

7 hours ago, creepio said:

Put IMPERSONATED in your name

I'm afraid this is not very effective either.

Complete newbies don't know what this means, others are getting used to other traders having "impersonated" in there name and just ignore it.

Some cases where this didn't help: onetwothree.

I have asked for this banner multiple times in the past to help prevent scams but it seems like report mods only add it when they have recently received reports of impersonators. Despite having sent to report staff in the past multiple instances of my impersonators they pretty much don't care if they aren't reported officially (and most sensible traders know that a large majority of these impersonation scams are not reported) so it seems kind of ridiculous that the banner isn't given out to anyone who has received multiple impersonators. What is the harm in giving it out fairly liberally, this should be used to help prevent scams and it's treated like it's some exclusive badge of honor which is absurd. 

If the staff really add the banner to prevent scams maybe they should do it when there's evidence of impersonators every time instead of debating over it and/or telling people what to do with their steam profile settings

Archived