Regarding Custom Names and Description (discussion)

Bob the Unsymmetrical

Hi there, the title says all.

I browse Scrap.tf (auctions) and Bazaar.tf a lot and there are usually sellers putting up items for sale with custom names/descriptions on it and require people pay extra for it. 

Now here's the question, do people actually pay extra for these custom names?

In my opinion, from a buyer's perspective, I see no reason why I should pay a few ref more on custom names and descriptions, it could be justified if that weapon was associated with famous tf2 community members like tf2 competitive players or tf2 youtubers, but for any other person, I don't see a reason to pay over the market price for some random name/description. I just like to see your stance on this topic.

Have a nice day.

Edit: Is pretty apparent that everyone here will not pay extra for custom names, but I want to hear from buyers/sellers who pay/price more for custom names. What's your stance on this?

NO

99.9% of the time people won't pay extra for names/descriptions. Some people may pay 10 ref extra for an unusual with a really funny name and description, but on pretty much anything else nobody ever pays extra for names/descriptions, unless you count people that fall for the "Halloween Spell" description scam on the SCM.

Just now, Scott Bakula said:

I won't pay extra for a custom name or description; it doesn't add anything of value to the item.

Absolutely agree, I think it devalues the item because I would rather have no custom stuff on it. If I want to customise something, I do it myself.

4 minutes ago, mikey boi said:

NO

99.9% of the time people won't pay extra for names/descriptions. Some people may pay 10 ref extra for an unusual with a really funny name and description, but on pretty much anything else nobody ever pays extra for names/descriptions, unless you count people that fall for the "Halloween Spell" description scam on the SCM.

AGREE! 

One person I have met was offering me a strange scattergun with a custom name and desc (no killstreak, no parts, just a plain old scattergun) for 20 ref. The name doesn't make sense either. The trader proceeded to argue the price of the name and description tags with me.

1 hour ago, Bob the Unsymmetrical said:

I think it devalues the item because I would rather have no custom stuff on it.

You can remove the names and because of this it does not devalue the item in any possible way.

If it's a common name people usually have on a weapon I could see the price raised 1 ref since name tags are 14 ref but that's ONLY if the buyer was going to put that generic name on it anyway. Best example I can think of would be a renamed Direct Hit to "Best Melee Weapon In the Game" or something similar. Again only 1 ref more max if the buyer already wanted the name. Works like paint and strange parts.

pfft no. of course the seller can price it however they want, but it really adds no value.

We never wanted that name and description, we just want the item.

if it was signed by a some famous person in the community, i can maybe pay a bit less than a key (since thats what most people charge for getting an item signed)

Archived