Help

Gabo

Hi guys. I stopped playing tf2 some time ago, decided to go back for a bit. I used to trade a lot back in the day (2014-2016) and made quite some profit flipping low value items and some unusuals which I cashed out at that time. Now I see that there are a lot of new things that I never got mi hands on (unusual taunts,skins,new unusual effects and a lot of festivized and new stranges), and actually was considering investing something like 20 keys and start trading again, maybe with a bot (I've seen ALOT of them now) and buying backpacks or more high value items. My question is, is it really worth it? Dont mind at all profiting slowly, but I want to invest the least time possible in trading (hence the bot), BUT I have literally no idea on how the market works anymore (Dont know what is a easy or hard sell, or even which stuff is more desired) so I would have to learn that, which could take some time. Also I considered doing something like this en CS:GO (again, I have no idea how that market works).

Also tf2outpost is gone so I have no idea what trading site everyone uses now.

Appreciate y'all guys opinion. Thanks in advance.

Certain parts of the market are doing very well.

Spells and Halloween effects are doing fantastic.

Factory new items commando and higher are also going up in price.

But you need to know your market well, only trade items where you are well aware of what they are going for.

4 minutes ago, Flamadin said:

Certain parts of the market are doing very well.

Spells and Halloween effects are doing fantastic.

Factory new items commando and higher are also going up in price.

But you need to know your market well, only trade items where you are well aware of what they are going for.

what can you tell about new gen effects? Most seem really shitty tbh

19 hours ago, Gabo said:

what can you tell about new gen effects? Most seem really shitty tbh

Newer gen effects aren't super desirable in general and only really go for a lot on some Assassin/Elite grade hats and a couple of the decent all-classes like the Patriot Peak. The problem is almost all of the newer effects are very mediocre, and most of the hats from cases are mediocre or terrible hats.

The 2015 Halloween effects are all only obtainable on a few hats, with only one or two of those hats actually being nice. None of those effects are any good to most people, so most of those hats barring the Prehistoric Pullover are total dead ends.

The 2016 Halloween effects are actually doing well, because they're obtainable on almost all hats and look relatively nice. Their prices are going up finally, but for a while, the StarStorm effects were by far the best "budget" effects in the game because you could get them for <35 keys on really nice hats, and they were very large and pretty but simple effects.

The 2018 Halloween effects are all mediocre to bad, with the exception of the 3 cloud effects that have the stars and moon. Most actually decent hats with those effects go for a lot. The rest of the effects are just ugly, either by ugly colors (the ring effects) or a lack of uniqueness (the bubbling effects). Clairvoyance I personally like, but the spoons are goofy. Orb is fairly ugly and small. I don't see most low-grade hats with these effects selling for much.

The 2019 Halloween effects are a mixed bag, most of them are extremely small and have low visibility. The woods effects, portal effects, and vortex effects are all half the size of Green Black Hole / Time Warp and fade out in well lit areas. Fifth Dimension looks like Smoking from any reasonable distance, and is much more common than the rest due to the lazy way Valve coded the effect chance system for cases in 2019. The 3 light effects are relatively nice though, especially the blue one. I have no doubt that if the small effects had the same size footprint as GBH/TW then they'd be possibly higher tier, but again, the vortexes have lower visibility than Massed Flies in some areas, and the portal effects are so tiny that most hats block the entire effect.

The 2019 Winter effects are also a mixed bag. Sparkling Lights and Frozen Icefall seem to go for a good price and are pretty desirable, the 3 light "halo" effects are sweet, but the rest are all small and mediocre effects.

I really dislike this trend by community effect creators of "must make tiny and hard to notice effects", because it'd be awesome for 2020 Halloween to have another set of total banger effects like 2013.

Archived