The growing concern with the future of the site; the absence of the Site Dev and overall inactivity of Admins/Moderators.

🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥

10 minutes ago, Zeckatz said:

and going offtopic

10 minutes ago, Zeckatz said:

it is an actual issue that needs a solution

This thread is for discussing issues tbh, so youre fine.

11 minutes ago, Zeckatz said:

some people start thinking that we're crying that we can't instantly beat other's listings but that's not 100% true.

Completely agree with you here. That is not 100% true. Why so many people are against the overcutting/undercutting scripts is because there are no limits whatsoever set on them.

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
43 minutes ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

do you think it is possible to get this thread into the "Latest News" box with the idea of "let us know your thoughts here" or something, once other posts come in and update the "Latest Forum Threads" to not show mine, for maximum awareness of the topic and the issues it discusses?

I'd love for there to be a staff-created thread for people to dump their complains and thoughts about the site in so they can compile the consistent ones and discuss it together as a group, but I sincerely doubt we'll see that happen if there's staff members here that are complaining about having to read the large posts that Crimson and Harry have created so far in this forum.

44 minutes ago, Xergoyf said:

Nobody is doubting your commitment to the site, and I completely understand that your priority are (rightly) not on the site currently. Its great that you acknowledge there are issues that needed to be worked on.

I strongly disagree with this actually. I am doubting teenys commitment to the site, first of all; I think it’s  one of the prominent issues many users have brought up in this thread (not just teeny but many staff users).

I don’t think we should be praising staff for simply acknowledging there are issues that exist; it gives them an opportunity to just ignore the problem as has been done many times in the past (the only time I can think of recently where problems weren’t ignored was when the rules regarding trading with scammers were made more lax and I think that was actually a negative change for the site). 

Like I said, if change needs to occur and prominent staff aren’t focusing on the site I think more needs to be done then them telling us problems exist and us thanking them for acknowledging said problems without actually having achieved anything. 

5 minutes ago, mikey boi said:

people to dump their complains and thoughts about the site

Ehh, sounds like a whole lotta spam, altho if the thread is moderated maybe not that bad of an idea (idk much about it, but pinned threads here on forums are especially moderated to avoid spam, right? would make sense)

6 minutes ago, HarryG said:

I am doubting teenys commitment to the site

Well, atm there is no commitment, cause she is busy for a very valid reason irl, she herself already admitted that she has been in the wrong for ignoring this for so long. But that her commitment atm, we best not forget what she's done for the site so far, all things considered :D

6 minutes ago, HarryG said:

it gives them an opportunity to just ignore the problem

While im being very chill about the mistakes already made by the staff, cause the past is the past, im very hopeful for the future atm and am giving them the benefit of the doubt rn. However obviously i won't be scared to be a bit persistent, if necessary.

1 hour ago, Zeckatz said:

-snip-

No, they're not worthless. But they're far less substantive, complex, and time-consuming than unusual suggestions, though by now you know how nuanced and composite they can get. The joke revolves around the context of non unusual suggestions, which used to involve a good deal of work to price (in some instances, at least) and are now much simpler to price thanks to bot.tf and the massive number of sales they report. In fact, us using bot.tf's data is evidence we think non unusual suggestions are valuable; it is the simplest way to get the most amount of data points in the shortest amount of time. It is efficient for time's sake and for data's sake. The reality of the situation is that it doesn't take long anymore and that's kinda become a punchline. I'm sorry if this came across as offensive or insensitive but nobody's jokes were intended to devalue the suggestions themselves or decrease anyone's morale.

1 minute ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

Well, atm there is no commitment, cause she is busy for a very valid reason irl, she herself already admitted that she has been in the wrong for ignoring this for so long. But that her commitment atm, we best not forget what she's done for the site so far, all things considered :D

If the problem presented in the thread is current issues with the site and moderation of it I don’t think it’s enough to acknowledge WHY said issues exist and also acknowledge past successes on the part of the moderation.

At least, that’s the way I see it, but many people have been quoting me and responding with things that seem to misinterpret the sentiment I was conveying so I thought I’d clarify that for me personally, I don’t think those things are enough in terms of addressing the problems at hand and actually rectifying them. If staff actually respond again to these issues then I might change my tune but I’m just getting the feeling they sort of said “well, we’re busy so we might get around to it”, left, and people are satisfied. That’s now how I feel personally, I think a lot of things need to still be addressed by staff. Would just hate to see the site die because of negligence/apathy. 

Just now, HarryG said:

If the problem presented in the thread is current issues with the site and moderation of it I don’t think it’s enough to acknowledge WHY said issues exist and also acknowledge past successes on the part of the moderation.

That is completely true, im just saying we should not completely discredit the staff members either.

Very nice to see admins and mods getting involved in the discussion and recognizing improvements that can be made on their end. 

I would like to see veteran/dedicated users be able to get more involved in the community in some way. Maybe some sort of position below mod? Support roles for people that truly want to help but may not meet the criteria or have interest in being an actual mod. I always see new users asking for advice on the forums. There are users that post terrible advice. There are some that genuinely try to help to the best of their abilities, doing in-depth research to give the most educated opinion possible for nothing in return. I think users that are this dedicated deserve more than just a thumbs up. Tbh, I've never even noticed "total reputation" until right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't judge a person by their rep.

Entrusting some level of responsibility to users that want to actively better the community would help strengthen the community as a whole. Since they could be considered prospective staff members, their roles would encourage them to be mature, helpful, and friendly with community members. It should effectively act as a funnel of credible mod applicants. The mod application process is rather strict, and very unforgiving for recent questionable behavior, which is completely understandable. 

"Community Leaders" or something.

2 minutes ago, creepio said:

Very nice to see admins and mods getting involved in the discussion and recognizing improvements that can be made on their end. 

I would like to see veteran/dedicated users be able to get more involved in the community in some way. Maybe some sort of position below mod? Support roles for people that truly want to help but may not meet the criteria or have interest in being an actual mod. I always see new users asking for advice on the forums. There are users that post terrible advice. There are some that genuinely try to help to the best of their abilities, doing in-depth research to give the most educated opinion possible for nothing in return. I think users that are this dedicated deserve more than just a thumbs up. 

Entrusting some level of responsibility to users that want to actively better the community would help strengthen the community as a whole. Since they could be considered prospective staff members, their roles would encourage them to be mature, helpful, and friendly with community members. It should effectively act as a funnel of credible mod applicants. The mod application process is rather strict, and very unforgiving for recent questionable behavior, which is completely understandable. 

Love this community leader idea. This is something i can get behind especially if it was voted on by community members to avoid the clique atmosphere that currently exists to restrict qualified staff from joining the team 

6 minutes ago, creepio said:

I would like to see veteran/dedicated users be able to get more involved in the community in some way. Maybe some sort of position below mod? Support roles for people that truly want to help but may not meet the criteria or have interest in being an actual mod. I always see new users asking for advice on the forums. There are users that post terrible advice. There are some that genuinely try to help to the best of their abilities, doing in-depth research to give the most educated opinion possible for nothing in return. I think users that are this dedicated deserve more than just a thumbs up. Tbh, I've never even noticed "total reputation" until right now.

interesting idea 

12 hours ago, mikey boi said:

Come on man, in this time with quarantine making it so everyone has a TON of extra free time and nothing to do, surely the staff team is active on the foru-

This kind of thinking is incredibly problematic. While we do have a solid staff team, none of us barring one of us (inactive) and the owner is a site developer. Also, quarantine does not mean we have a bunch of free time. I have to tutor a sibling, price mod, study for the GRE, start applying to grad school, and continue working on a project. The reality of the situation is a lot of people are struggling right now and I don't think making generalizations about everyone being free is productive.

8 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

none of us barring one of us (inactive) and the owner is a site developer

8 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

Also, quarantine does not mean we have a bunch of free time.

Well aside from what mikey boi specifically said,

19 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

As a side note, what exactly is going on with the Price Moderators? Life? School? Work? Have mostly all of them grown up and have yet to officially retire and move on and they just tag along atm? Is there then a serious lack of younger Price Mods, who can dedicate more time into suggestions? Why are mostly all of the Price Mods so in-active and the backlog so huge? Offline's spam aside, the days where we rarely saw a suggestion up for over a month and a maximum of a month are long gone. Now the norm is open for 1 month and the maximum is a whopping 3 months! The same time a hats price, by the rules, literally goes out of date. There is also the issue of when you resuggest something, per a Price Moderators comment and there is literally nothing left to wait on and the suggestion is still not accepted and left open for days on end. Its very ironic, cause when i don't resuggest something within a few days, its a huge issue for mods and they give your suggestion away to someone else. Its quite crazy, really, and very concerning, yet again. More and more you see Veteran suggesters disappear, retire (and we can't really expect a change for suggesting to be more rewarding, if everything is kinda just... on hold) and since there is such a lack of Price Moderator activity, the newbies rarely get the concrete help of a Price Mod to get them into suggesting. That help is mostly given out by other suggesters and some just go completely the wrong way about it and scare the newbies away. Without newbies growing into Veteran suggesters, there can not be new potential Price Moderators, who are a bit younger, hence have a lot more time on their hands to deal with suggestions.

and

10 hours ago, Xergoyf said:

I understand life happens, people get burned out or lose interest over time. I don't hold anyone accountable personally for what has been going on recently. What I will say is that the site needs new blood to join the current staff.

aswell as

3 hours ago, Woifi The Viking said:

So yes, we would welcome if people applied to help us out in this situation! Spots in the Price Mod/Report Mod/Community Mod team are open and ready to be taken.

3 hours ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

But of course, it was never meant to be a static set of price mods for years at a time - some people move on and dedicate their time to other causes while others discover their passion for helping the community. We're always looking for new moderators, so anyone that is interested should apply

Well, this is where my

5 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

We need to, in a group effort, really encourage new suggesters, Veteran Price Suggesters, Devs that are well-known in the community (manic :3) to contribute. We need to be more careful at how we welcome new suggesters, we need to make them really feel welcome, but that requires time and time is not what the current staff/the punch of retired Veteran Price Suggesters have, hence why new blood is so important. We need to give incentive for the retired Veterans who do have time, but just don't find suggesting worth it anymore or don't find its current rewarding fun and fresh. And if possible, we need to encourage eligible Veterans to become Price Moderators, however it be done (obviously here, people like Scourge are very much eligible, but him being on the front lines and KILLING the suggesting game is also extremely important for the site, he is of a lot more use keeping a lot more hats updated, than if he were a Mod).

5 hours ago, 🔥Master Throne Crimson🔥 said:

To continue; We need to seriously, in a group effort (community ambassadors, moderators and admins) notify the site Owners (pretty sure without their cooperation, hiring a Dev or making changes so that more voluntary code work could be done, is not possible), that there seriously IS need for a new Dev.

came from.

New staff members are very obviously welcomed, but in this case that fact alone isn't quite enough, we need to welcome new suggesters and potential staff members in open arms; a warm welcome. Before hoping for anyone to apply, we need to fix some fundamental issues; the ones brought up above and possibly even more.

21 minutes ago, creepio said:

I would like to see veteran/dedicated users be able to get more involved in the community in some way. Maybe some sort of position below mod? Support roles for people that truly want to help but may not meet the criteria or have interest in being an actual mod. I always see new users asking for advice on the forums. There are users that post terrible advice. There are some that genuinely try to help to the best of their abilities, doing in-depth research to give the most educated opinion possible for nothing in return. I think users that are this dedicated deserve more than just a thumbs up. Tbh, I've never even noticed "total reputation" until right now and I'm sure I'm not the only one that doesn't judge a person by their rep.

That's a great idea considering some people really either give wrong responses or just plainly troll around.

29 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

No, they're not worthless. But they're far less substantive, complex, and time-consuming than unusual suggestions, though by now you know how nuanced and composite they can get. The joke revolves around the context of non unusual suggestions, which used to involve a good deal of work to price (in some instances, at least) and are now much simpler to price thanks to bot.tf and the massive number of sales they report. In fact, us using bot.tf's data is evidence we think non unusual suggestions are valuable; it is the simplest way to get the most amount of data points in the shortest amount of time. It is efficient for time's sake and for data's sake. The reality of the situation is that it doesn't take long anymore and that's kinda become a punchline. I'm sorry if this came across as offensive or insensitive but nobody's jokes were intended to devalue the suggestions themselves or decrease anyone's morale.

It's not really only about none-unusual price suggestions. It's more like, if a suggestion takes less effort than it's not worth it.
Just search "offline suggestions" in the discord xd
Even if it takes 1 minute, no 10 sec, he's spending that time trying to price an item to help the site. Idk how many hours he spent on making price suggestions but do you really think he should be laughed at like this all the time?

21 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

This kind of thinking is incredibly problematic. While we do have a solid staff team, none of us barring one of us (inactive) and the owner is a site developer. Also, quarantine does not mean we have a bunch of free time. I have to tutor a sibling, price mod, study for the GRE, start applying to grad school, and continue to work on a project. The reality of the situation is a lot of people are struggling right now and I don't think making generalizations about everyone being free is productive.

When I see multiple backpack.tf staff members online on Discord for hours a day playing games on Steam, your story isn't able to be copy-pasted to explain ALL the staff member's relative neglect of the forums and community. I'm not saying they should be staring at the Forums 8 hours a day, but that surely they can take all of 5-10 minutes to respond to a ping in Staff chat once every few days that's asking for opinions on a topic brought up by a suggestion/idea thread, then one person makes a concise and quick summary of the staff team's feelings and uses that as the response for said thread. Instead, there's tons of threads that have been sitting there for months without any form of attention or response, at least tangible and visible, despite several of them having widespread community support. What is the point of a suggestion subforum if the staff team never actually views it aside from Zeus?

Once again, I understand that there's only a single site dev and that they're hard to reach / rarely around these days, which makes many site suggestions that require the codebase to be altered difficult to deal with. I agree with others that the site really needs to find another dev to help, but it doesn't mean that the staff team still can't express their own thoughts on the topics brought about by suggestion threads in a way that tells the community that the staff team is doing everything they can and cares about their suggestions. At least then the blame can be placed fully on the lack of dev uptime, at which point, the solution becomes "do something about the site's lack of an active and reliable developer". But we aren't in that situation. We're in a situation where it feels like the staff team is too busy or too detached to actively maintain a connection with the community, with an Admin coming in saying that they themself needs to be replaced, and that's a huge problem for a community built around a declining subsection of content (trading) of a game with an uncertain future

5 minutes ago, Zeckatz said:

Idk how many hours he spent on making price suggestions but do you really think he should be laughed at like this all the time?

Yeah, there are different ways to respect someone. I highly respect Scourge for the amount of suggestions he is bumping out despite the fact that the quality of his suggestions are top-notch, i highly respect Offline for the amount of hats he updates aside from being not far at all from literally being the sole reason weapon suggesting is even alive and more and more weapons actually have a price and yet the site Dev can't do a simple thing for him, (a guy who has put way more hours into suggesting weapons in total, than the Dev has giving the weapons stats pages and what not) fixing the issues with weapons atm.

Here's my personal main issue with the site and the "part" I do on said website is having to pay to do it.....

image.png.a06d374f8bb680eaef366464700aa1ad.png

Even getting histories for people who are willing to make their first suggestion becomes an issue and since you're sharing '"premium" info if the person uses it for "hat hunting" then you screw yourself over even...

Events are good and are motivated by Mods so yeah they are rare and also rely on us being able to get motivated people with reward and keep them when those go away which isn't an easy task even with the rewards,  0.1$ per suggestion is a joke to me sorry...
If they want a win and an actual prize it relies on 1-2 guys to try hard for their team and then they have 0 time to teach others.

The "rules for unusual suggestions" is more outdated than the HG Inspecteur Meme and the added sections each time doesn't help.

I still want to thank the Price Mod team for their work, I also want to thank @Zeus_Junior @manic and bot @Julia for the unpaid work/scripts they did to help us make it easier to work on those suggestions.

I retired from suggestion the month after I realised I paid 4.99$ to make 20 suggestions and spent countless hours I could have spent on something more productive for myself.

I also hate the concept of "better than current" on a huge drop/increase impacting future suggestions or other hats even though "sales are sales"....

-Wrein

13 minutes ago, Zeckatz said:

-snip-

No, that's why I don't participate in Offline meme threads on Discord. I understand he may not like the jokes so I stick to the likes of :HG: and other server memes when I know the people getting memed on are okay with it.

9 minutes ago, mikey boi said:

-snip

We're talking about grown adults with responsibilities. Some people get into the habit of leaving their game running while they go to work/school; that does not mean they are playing all day long. In some cases, staff gets burnt out because it is a volunteer position and not a job; I've taken a month or two off before when I was getting burnt out and just wasn't feeling it. Our policy for staff is incredibly lenient to prevent burnout, and sometimes that means some members take an extended break while the rest of the staff cover a bit of an extra workload until they're back. Staff members viewing suggestion threads more is something that I think is valid. I personally won't because my knowledge on web development is extremely limited and what I say or think about the threads will have much less weight than someone with the know-how and permissions to implement the stuff. However, as a price mod who reviews multiple community-based suggestions every day, I am familiar with the importance of community feedback and your feedback about this has been duly noted.

Also a few people seem to be taking what Teeny said out of context. Give the poor old cat a break she's nursing during a pandemic and she just does not have much time to dedicate to us right now ;-;. I'm totally okay if backpack.tf takes a back seat for a bit if it means saving peoples' lives.

50 minutes ago, creepio said:

The closest thing that we have already are the Unusual Suggestors and Non-Unusual Suggestor roles on Discord. The idea behind these roles were a way for suggestors, both new and old, to have a way to reach out to veteran users in the community to be able to ask questions and get help on their suggestions. They are an additional resource on top of asking price moderators. These suggestors want to help - they wouldn't have signed up for the role if they didn't. For us, it's an opportunity to see who steps up as a leader and how they handle being in that position. They're not moderators, but we as price mods trust these suggestors to help anyone that asks. If they want to eventually be mods, it's a great opportunity to show your demeanor and help newer suggestors.

Of course, I feel that this role isn't fully utilized - I think it ends up being used more when people have free suggestions to give or want an item updated. Maybe someone who has the role can say how often they get pinged or have idea on how it could be improved.

43 minutes ago, FishtheFish said:

No, that's why I don't participate in Offline meme threads on Discord. I understand he may not like the jokes so I stick to the likes of :HG: and other server memes when I know the people getting memed on are okay with it.

We're talking about grown adults with responsibilities. Some people get into the habit of leaving their game running while they go to work/school; that does not mean they are playing all day long. In some cases, staff gets burnt out because it is a volunteer position and not a job; I've taken a month or two off before when I was getting burnt out and just wasn't feeling it. Our policy for staff is incredibly lenient to prevent burnout, and sometimes that means some members take an extended break while the rest of the staff cover a bit of an extra workload until they're back. Staff members viewing suggestion threads more is something that I think is valid. I personally won't because my knowledge on web development is extremely limited and what I say or think about the threads will have much less weight than someone with the know-how and permissions to implement the stuff. However, as a price mod who reviews multiple community-based suggestions every day, I am familiar with the importance of community feedback and your feedback about this has been duly noted.

Also a few people seem to be taking what Teeny said out of context. Give the poor old cat a break she's nursing during a pandemic and she just does not have much time to dedicate to us right now ;-;. I'm totally okay if backpack.tf takes a back seat for a bit if it means saving peoples' lives.

Yeah it's pretty easy to burnout as a mod. I've handled anywhere from 5 - 1500 suggestions each month over the last few years. Unusual suggestions vary in how much time they need for review - suggestions in the backlog may have more sales and need minis. If you try to do that 10 times a day, every day for a month, you'd "only" handle 300 suggestions. After a while, you'll grow sick of it and need to take a break. That doesn't mean you don't care about the community, it means you need some time to refresh yourself and recover. I've effectively stopped handling unusual suggestions for many months at a time because of burnout.

And 100% agree with the last point - the fact that Teeny has any energy left after work to spend on backpack.tf is impressive, and not having much time shouldn't be held against her. We're volunteers - real life always will come first. Should the rest of us moderators have been keeping better track of forum threads and ensuring questions were answered? Yes, I don't think anyone's denying that. If anyone has questions for the price mods, ie clarification about a rule, it's typically better to ask on the discord in #suggestion-discussion.

47 minutes ago, Wrein said:

Here's my personal main issue with the site and the "part" I do on said website is having to pay to do it.....

Even getting histories for people who are willing to make their first suggestion becomes an issue and since you're sharing '"premium" info if the person uses it for "hat hunting" then you screw yourself over even...

Events are good and are motivated by Mods so yeah they are rare and also rely on us being able to get motivated people with reward and keep them when those go away which isn't an easy task even with the rewards,  0.1$ per suggestion is a joke to me sorry...
If they want a win and an actual prize it relies on 1-2 guys to try hard for their team and then they have 0 time to teach others.

We really want premium for suggestors - it's easily the most requested addition by all us mods as well. 

Events are pretty time consuming to set up and also require that there be enough mods available to handle suggestions and answer questions. On top of that, it has to be a time when many veteran suggestors are available and able to lead their team.

29 minutes ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

The idea behind these roles were a way for suggestors, both new and old, to have a way to reach out to veteran users in the community to be able to ask questions and get help on their suggestions. They are an additional resource on top of asking price moderators. These suggestors want to help - they wouldn't have signed up for the role if they didn't.

I feel like it should be changed to a role that actively requires you to help with suggestions instead of it being seen as just a "cool perk" or something. I never knew that people that ask for that role are open to helping with suggestions when someone needs it, since all the role is stated as being on the Discord is "for having x amount of accepted suggestions." - It would be neat if the role had more to it. Even now, I feel like if I tried pinging half of them, I'd get no response or be met with "fuck off", that's why I bug Shuffle or other price mods when I have a question.

Maybe introduce a new system where when creating a suggestion, you have a field to put the Steam ID of a user who helped you create your suggestion, and that user gets a point added to a "Suggestion Helper" badge on the site once that suggestion is accepted. Then, there could be an award given to the user with the most "users helped" points accumulated in a given month that comes with extra perks, like maybe extra promoted listings or some cool animated name effect like Enjin and a lot of other oldschool forum sites used to have. Buuuut... that all would require a good amount of coding, thus it's a idea that, if actually liked by the community and staff, would just sit in a backlog of ideas for the next few years.

Either way, it's likely that there will be some suggestors that just instantly snatch/steal all the people away to help them and compete and get angry when someone is stolen from them, which may cause the atmosphere around suggestions to become negative, but that's true of a lot of things within this community and otherwise so who knows.

I mean, the site needs forms of monetization.

1 hour ago, Wrein said:

0.1$ per suggestion is a joke to me

This goes towards total amount donated to the site tho, unless im misunderstanding you. Imo thats good enough.

1 hour ago, Wrein said:

they have 0 time to teach others

This is very true tho. Its hard to tutor newbies, when youre also the 1 out of the 2 literal carries of the team when it comes to suggestions bumped out.

1 hour ago, Wrein said:

I also want to thank @Zeus_Junior @manic and bot @Julia for the unpaid work/scripts they did to help us make it easier to work on those suggestions.

Ooooo, this is faaaaactsssss. Likewise from me!

1 hour ago, FishtheFish said:

I'm totally okay if backpack.tf takes a back seat for a bit if it means saving peoples' lives.

100% However everything discussed in this post so far has been an issue for longer, than the pandemic has been around.

41 minutes ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

ie clarification about a rule, it's typically better to ask on the discord in #suggestion-discussion.

Well, what i pointed out was more of wanting the rules themselves to be updated to clear confusion about how to determine a quicksell for example, not someone asking a price mod individually or asking in the channel, cause a lot of the times, people don't ask.

Archived