šŸ”„Master Throne CrimsonšŸ”„

The growing concern with the future of the site; the absence of the Site Dev and overall inactivity of Admins/Moderators.

Ā 

9 hours ago, Geel said:

The raw truth is, we purchased backpack.tf when the previous owner informed me he was selling it because I didn't want it to be purchased by some ad company like ZAM and flooded with ads and eventually killed (like what ZAM did to TF2Outpost). Backpack was a vital part of the tf2 community and I felt I had to protect it.

I think we can all agree, that we're without a doubt very grateful for that!

Ā Ā 

9 hours ago, Geel said:

I want to do right by the site, but I'm not sure exactly what that entails.

You can definitely trust Teeny's past (or overall) recommendations here :D

Farao Ramses II

I am not particularly fond of playing the blame game here. But I do appreciate staff (and owners, geel here in particular), admitting blame and noting their responsibility. I would just hope to see staff owning up to their responsibilities in the near future by this translating into action.

Ā 

@Geel May I inquire as to what you might be planning on doing in regard to ensuring the continued existence of backpack.tf, especially in regard to the lack of active development?

8 hours ago, HarryG said:

As previously mentioned in this thread there are plenty of problems withĀ the site that have nothing to do with the owners or developers and while I hold no ill will towards Geel I respectfully disagree in that the admins (and staff at large in some cases, though it's interesting you only mention Teeny (or perhaps not interesting as the thread has essentially turned into everybody making sure we all know that none of this is Teeny's fault))Ā can be blamed for many of the issues that the site currently faces including a continued lack of community engagement (you'd think someone twice my age and who holds an admin position would be providing more mature responses than thisĀ https://gyazo.com/874e74a2a2eadae6bfb6c7e3209dd465Ā , for example).

Im pretty confused. The biggest issues are ofc the development of the site, and that can't happen without the cooperation of the owner(s), cause of the inactive, single Dev we currently have and the inactivity of staff. The latter of the 2 has definitely improved since i made thisĀ thread, so overall the majority of problems in fact does have to do with the owners or developers.

Ā 

8 hours ago, HarryG said:

I respectfully disagree in that the admins can be blamed for many of the issues that the site currently faces

But thats what Geel said, that the blame is largely on him, rather than the admins or staff.

11 minutes ago, Farao Ramses II said:

@Geel May I inquire as to what you might be planning on doing in regard to ensuring the continued existence of backpack.tf, especially in regard to the lack of active development?

In case you, Geel, do ofc have an answer.Ā If you currently do not, it is completely fine, most of us here understand that change takes time! :D

Ā 

11 minutes ago, Farao Ramses II said:

I am not particularly fond of playing the blame game here. But I do appreciate staff (and owners, geel here in particular), admitting blame and noting their responsibility. I would just hope to see staff owning up to their responsibilities in the near future by this translating into action.

For sure, but at the end of the day, all change for the better beginsĀ from acknowledgement, so when i think about it, its completely fine to welcome more of it fromĀ the remaining staff who has yet to seen this thread (altho im pretty sure at this point, almost everyone on the staff team has). Thats moreĀ referringĀ that iĀ changed my thoughts from earlier in the thread:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā Ā 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:42 AM, Foamy the Fearsome said:

I feel most traffic happens on Discord now.

Yeah, but there's way more chit-chat there, off-topic chat that goes in-between whenever someone tries to discussĀ something very important, like here, inĀ my thread.Ā Here its all in one place and won't disappear in a sea of text.

Ā 

On 6/21/2020 at 2:42 AM, Foamy the Fearsome said:

eventually went off-topic

Not really, it all falls into discussingĀ issues, and thats what this thread is all about.

Ā 

Your response definitely falls into this idea too:

Ā Ā 

On 6/20/2020 at 10:59 PM, šŸ”„Master Throne CrimsonšŸ”„ said:

You definitely made me realise something, i do not need to know why mods are busy, all i need to know is what i already know: that they are inactive.Ā I guess by asking specifically about the gaming thing too;Ā with it all, i just wanted some sense of ensurance... if thats a word.

So basically, what we need from mods, i suppose, is ideas or possible ways for actions on how to attract more potential new blood into the staff team and potential new veteransĀ (new suggesters who can potentially turn into veterans) to suggest, not why they have been inactive. We all very well have noticedĀ that the staff has been highly inactive, not to mention the Dev, so thats all understandable.

Ā 

Ā 

Farao Ramses II
16 minutes ago, šŸ”„Master Throne CrimsonšŸ”„ said:

In case you, Geel, do ofc have an answer.Ā If you currently do not, it is completely fine, most of us here understand that change takes time! :D

Ā 

For sure, but at the end of the day, all change for the better beginsĀ from acknowledgement, so when i think about it, its completely fine to welcome more of it fromĀ the remaining staff who has yet to seen this thread (altho im pretty sure at this point, almost everyone on the staff team has). Thats moreĀ referringĀ that iĀ changed my thoughts from earlier in the thread:

Ā 

Ā 

Oh, of course if geel has any answers as of now. But I welcome any notion of ideas brewing, since an open discussion is in my opinion in the best interest of backpack.tf and its survival.

Ā 

In regard to staff acknowledging their shortcomings as of late, I do appreciate them doing so. And if more staff feel it to be necessary to admit any form of blame, I am not here to stop them from doing so. I simply wish this not to turn into a witch hunt and more so hope to see staff own up to their responsibility by undertaking proper action.

1 hour ago, Farao Ramses II said:

In regard to staff acknowledging their shortcomings as of late, I do appreciate them doing so. And if more staff feel it to be necessary to admit any form of blame, I am not here to stop them from doing so. I simply wish this not to turn into a witch hunt and more so hope to see staff own up to their responsibility by undertaking proper action.

Yeah, all in all its really nice to see how to staff has responded to the entire thing, high spirits out here!

Okay, im getting my ass around to this finally! Regarding the Award Tickets update, Procave pointed out to me how 30 unusual suggestions feels high for everyone, even aĀ newbieĀ to grind out for premium per month. So i was thinking about how 15 unusual suggestions per month for orangeĀ and yellow, 20 for green and blue, 25 for purple and brown and 30 for black belt sounds like? I personallyĀ think the variety would boost the systems effectiveness!

Ā 

To note, idk if someone would actually even bother lol, but we also would need to think about ppl who reach, say, yellow belt and then create an alt, get that to yellow and so forth. Also, idk if this would even beĀ profitable for potential abusers.

A Delicious Cashew
56 minutes ago, šŸ”„Master Throne CrimsonšŸ”„ said:

Okay, im getting my ass around to this finally! Regarding the Award Tickets update, Procave pointed out to me how 30 unusual suggestions feels high for everyone, even aĀ newbieĀ to grind out for premium per month. So i was thinking about how 15 unusual suggestions per month for orangeĀ and yellow, 20 for green and blue, 25 for purple and brown and 30 for black belt sounds like?

Ā 

To note, idk if someone would actually even bother lol, but we also would need to think about ppl who reach, say, yellow belt and then create an alt, get that to yellow and so forth.

It should still be a challenge to get - I don't think we want to making getting free premium too easy or require little effort. It is a reward for making a big time commitment to the site, otherwise you can still buy it like before.Ā It averages out to 1 per day (or 5 non unusual suggestions - you can probably make 20+ in 30 minutes or less). You only need to make 30 in a month if you want to sustain your premium, and since you can build up tickets before activating it, maybe it makes sense for less active suggestors to go a little above 150 tickets before starting their first month to reduce how much they need to do in the next month.

Ā 

But yeah, I think it's fair to see wait and see how many people actually reach 150 tickets in a month and then make changes if necessary.Ā 

Oh my bad, i made a few edits later on so i also kinda made my points a bit clearer. As for

28 minutes ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

It averages out to 1 per day (or 5 non unusual suggestions - you can probably make 20+ in 30 minutes or less)

As i told Shuffle in the dm's, my thoughts areĀ thatĀ the proposal, min of 15 per month, would still be a good amount of suggestions to get from someone who isn't even that active in the community every day. Heck even i usually make like 25 suggs in oneĀ day and then am burnt out for the rest of the month, resulting in me barely bumping out like another 5 or so suggs during said month (thats when im active ofc, ive been half-retired from suggs for like a year (making like 30Ā suggs per 2 months on average, id say...) and MORE recently it has felt like im lowkey full retired cause i haven't been active in suggesting much at all.Ā IĀ think im taking a sort of break without being fully aware of it myself i guess, i just need to get out of this overall lazy phase.Ā Getting to 2000 has been pretty slow compared to when i got to ~1900 (iirc)). But yeah, point isĀ newbies are especially inconsistent at making suggestions.

Ā 

Ā 

It should still be a challenge to get

Ā 

It is a reward for making a big time commitment to the site

My point by making it more laxĀ is basically to also make it a way to lure more new suggesters in!

Ā 

Ā 

But yeah, you do definitely have a point here

maybe it makes sense for less active suggestors to go a little above 150 tickets before starting their first month to reduce how much they need to do in the next month.

Ā 

But yeah, I think it's fair to see wait and see how many people actually reach 150 tickets in a month and then make changes if necessary.

And, yeah, for sure!

So ive been wondering...

Ā 

On 6/22/2020 at 7:47 PM, Teeny Tiny Cat said:

I used to compile every single bug report in trello for devs. Every one. Everything posted in issue tracker, everything posted in discord. I used to rank them by order of importance to fix. I used to regularly make lists of feature requests, and again... rank them by order of importance.

Ā 

Should we now create something similar to this, like a mega-thread of bug reports and feature suggestions or something, or should we let the situation with the current Dev/if any new Dev(s) come/can comeĀ on board or not, getĀ more clear? And do i post some bugs ive found/reported in the past and ideas ive had over time and saved up,Ā on forums/discord/issue tracker or notĀ at the moment?Ā Asking, cause if rn is too early to do so and pointless (for example ifĀ they may be forgotten again in case atmĀ there yet isn't anyone available to do something about the stuff being reported/suggested), id wait on it.Ā So im kinda asking if there have been any major updates with specifically the current Dev and the time he has to help reduce the amount of bug reports and feature suggestions out there,Ā i guess.

Teeny Tiny Cat

I don't see a point currently, since you'd just be wasting time like I was. If we get another dev ever, I can show mods how to pick up what I was doing before.