Auto-overcutting scripts

sfpt

37 minutes ago, creepio said:

Yes.. many of which have assets that have appreciated with time, further adding to my confusion of why they don't sell their unus and at least stockpile keys

for that reason. they appreciate over time. keys are stable

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 6/13/2020 at 8:54 AM, Markt3 said:

I think a doable solution would be to add a percentage you can undercut or overcut by. Like somewhere from 0.1% to 1%, that way people would actually need to think if they want to undercut instead of mindlessly adding/lowering a scrap more/less to the highest/lowest buy order/sell order

That idea was already hilariously denied by the community in this thread here:

There were many good points brought up to why that was considered to be a bad idea, such as this one:

On 3/29/2020 at 12:28 AM, Norah said:

If a ban on 0.11 undercuts is put into place, people will just undercut by 0.22. What do you do then, ban 0.22 undercuts? If that keeps happening over and over, the undercut minimum would eventually get so big that there'd be a sea of complaining over having to drop your prices too low to compete.

On top of that, trying to make it percentage-based is incredibly dumb, imagine having to manually calculate a certain percentage of a certain price just to re-list a listing. This can only benefit bots as they'd can be configured to automatically process that in no time, while a human wanting to adjust their listing would result in them having to figure out the minimum amount they can undercut by for each listing they have. And if someone dares to undercut by a couple scrap less than the minimum requirement? Report mods don't have time to deal with all the reports that would come flooding in as a result.

7 minutes ago, Jarool said:

That idea was already hilariously denied by the community in this thread here:

There were many good points brought up to why that was considered to be a bad idea, such as this one:

On top of that, trying to make it percentage-based is incredibly dumb, imagine having to manually calculate a certain percentage of a certain price just to re-list a listing. This can only benefit bots as they'd can be configured to automatically process that in no time, while a human wanting to adjust their listing would result in them having to figure out the minimum amount they can undercut by for each listing they have. And if someone dares to undercut by a couple scrap less than the minimum requirement? Report mods don't have time to deal with all the reports that would come flooding in as a result.

Can you explain me how is that idea related to mine? Coz I have read the entire thread and haven't found a way in which the ideam I brought up can relate to it. At first, I didn't meant a ban for undercutting for less than that percentage, I meant something like mp has. Something that just doesn't let you undercut by less. I think on mp it was like 1% or something. And that tells you how much you can undercut by.

I don't find any way in that making it that way would be negative, if you find one, I'd gladly hear it. I didn't propose a ban of any sort, so I don't think quoting that post is a valid reason.

16 minutes ago, Markt3 said:

I meant something like mp has. Something that just doesn't let you undercut by less.

It wasn't very clear that you meant that. Doing this doesn't sound like a solution to bots undercutting/overcutting in particular, but more to undercutting/overcutting as a whole. As Julia has stated, people do still tend to send offers to other buy orders despite not being the highest buyer. Whether it be due to a vendetta against bots/scripts, or because the highest buyer is offline and they want quick keys/metal, it still happens. If the site prevented you from undercutting or overcutting, it isn't going to change a whole lot. If anything, people using an auto-overcutting script may appeal more to others now that the difference between the buy orders isn't so negligible.

Regardless, if you want new features on the site that a dev has to create, that is very unlikely to happen. The site only has one dev and they are either very rarely active or are more focused on keeping the site online rather than on new features, especially for something like this, which sounds pretty easy to circumvent and would require a lot of testing to find workarounds.

14 minutes ago, Jarool said:

It wasn't very clear that you meant that. Doing this doesn't sound like a solution to bots undercutting/overcutting in particular, but more to undercutting/overcutting as a whole. As Julia has stated, people do still tend to send offers to other buy orders despite not being the highest buyer. Whether it be due to a vendetta against bots/scripts, or because the highest buyer is offline and they want quick keys/metal, it still happens. If the site prevented you from undercutting or overcutting, it isn't going to change a whole lot. If anything, people using an auto-overcutting script may appeal more to others now that the difference between the buy orders isn't so negligible.

Regardless, if you want new features on the site that a dev has to create, that is very unlikely to happen. The site only has one dev and they are either very rarely active or are more focused on keeping the site online rather than on new features, especially for something like this, which sounds pretty easy to circumvent and would require a lot of testing to find workarounds.

Oh, I didn't knew the dev situation. Ty for getting me to understand

18 hours ago, Zeus_Junior said:

The second part of your post counters the first part.

Knowingly abusing a bot is a permanent ban. You are scamming.

What do you mean by this. If I put up a buy order for a hat at 15 keys, and bot buy orders go up to 16, can I sell one of those specific items to them and will I get banned? I know bots are gonna beat me, they always do, but if I get a trade offer to buy that hat for 15 keys, I will accept it. I'm following the rules on backpack for buy orders, as I am buying at the price I put them up for. I am also following rules for selling to bot buy orders, since I don't see anything against sending an offer to a buy order, even if you have a buy order for that hat up yourself.

5 hours ago, Crazyy Cow said:

What do you mean by this. If I put up a buy order for a hat at 15 keys, and bot buy orders go up to 16, can I sell one of those specific items to them and will I get banned? I know bots are gonna beat me, they always do, but if I get a trade offer to buy that hat for 15 keys, I will accept it. I'm following the rules on backpack for buy orders, as I am buying at the price I put them up for. I am also following rules for selling to bot buy orders, since I don't see anything against sending an offer to a buy order, even if you have a buy order for that hat up yourself.

I think abusing bots is in reference to something more severe like selling off crate depression hats at buy order price when the 24/7 unboxing was going on and they were tradable still. That being said, it wasn't a permaban for some people I recall doing it.

I personally think someone that opts for a hands-off approach to trading should be expected to assume complete responsibility of their bots, no matter what happens. 

I'm getting tired of this shit, honestly.

I don't understand why there's even a debate on this topic. These threads are constantly brought up weekly at this point. The threads asking how to get into trading are now responded with "yeah goodluck." That's absolutely fucking depressing. I'm confused as to why the moderators and admins on here aren't acting on the issue. 

I also find it interesting the very few bot users on this site who have a monopoly on almost every item in existence are also active on the forums - note the like/funny/haha ratios on comments, this is causing it to look like a large number of people are pro-bots when in reality, it's the same few people.

On 6/9/2020 at 7:37 PM, Julia said:

remember when backpack.tf didn't even have buy orders

we could go back to that, couldn't we?

I'm surprised a bot can post on the forums.

But I was there for that Julia. Stop acting like it was the end of the world. It was fine. At least traders had a damn chance. Right now it's a living hell if you want to get into trading because of the same few people controlling 100% of the market. 

On 6/12/2020 at 5:21 AM, Zeus_Junior said:

Instead of complaining and telling bptf to "add rules and restrictions", does anyone instead have a doable solution?

Simply restricting for the sake of human traders not able to keep up or whatever is not really a valid reason to me.

Explain why that isn't a valid solution.

• sfpt locked this topic

Archived