Let's keep the new players interested through hats

BeaucoupShit

Man, Valve sucks.And everytime they don't take action or make some stupid deccision the community always seems to shine brighter. Since the "new" botwave began and they didn't lift a finger the community feels even stronger with people insta kicking the bots without anybody saying anything. I'm sure even the fact that they stopped support will in the end bring more good than bad somehow.

Aaaaaanyyway sry for the long rant. I felt like i never actually given anything back in the game before and i just went on random servers and gave like 10 hats and war paints to random people and they were all so happy and most said i just made their day. That's like 15 ref or smth, like 30 cents, it's nothing and i just imagine how happy it would've made me feel if this happened to me when i started. And i feel like we should make these kind of gestures especially to new players so they keep playing despite valve and bots and a few toxic players and scammers.

On one server a guy even sent me items to spread the love after he saw what i was doing was not a scam.

TLDR: SO I GOT THIS IDEEA

I made this group, we can each get a few keys, turn them to ref and either leave them like this or turn them into hats. We all make a party, and join server after server and just GIFT AWAY HATS, REF, CHEAP BOTKILLERS, WAR PAINTS anything that would make someone's day. If you buy a key through paypal that's like 1.6€. A key is 52 ref. You can give away like almost 40 1.33 hats with ONE KEY. ONE KEY!! that's like 5 SECONDS of gambling in uncrating or Spycrabbing or tf2hunt

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/WEGIFTF

this really do be a r/randomactsoftf2 moment

edit: isn't advertising raffle groups against the rules? isn't this group considered a raffle group?

I get the whole “being a positive influence and spreading gifts and joy,” but any new account can just buy a jungle inferno contract pass for like 2$ and get like 40 war paints and free hats by just playing the game and doing contracts. Also, half of the new accounts don’t even have a steam authenticator set up, so why bother waiting like 15 days just to give a free item? I think the people sticking with this game aren’t gonna stay longer just because some random dude gave them a hat.

22 minutes ago, TheRenegadeSniper said:

I get the whole “being a positive influence and spreading gifts and joy,” but any new account can just buy a jungle inferno contract pass for like 2$ and get like 40 war paints and free hats by just playing the game and doing contracts. Also, half of the new accounts don’t even have a steam authenticator set up, so why bother waiting like 15 days just to give a free item? I think the people sticking with this game aren’t gonna stay longer just because some random dude gave them a hat.

The main targets are F2P newbies.

F2Ps cant buy contract pass because they are F2P. At the moment when they buy something, craft hat will not mean much to them so its pointless to give them anything.

When you give them free item for nothing, only you have to use steam auth.

Its not supposed to make people sticking with this game for some time stay even longer, but to motivate new players to play more and not leave few hours after installing.

34 minutes ago, Fidoo said:

The main targets are F2P newbies.

F2Ps cant buy contract pass because they are F2P. At the moment when they buy something, craft hat will not mean much to them so its pointless to give them anything.

When you give them free item for nothing, only you have to use steam auth.

Its not supposed to make people sticking with this game for some time stay even longer, but to motivate new players to play more and not leave few hours after installing.

Exactly! It's not about the worth of the items themselves or wtv. It's just so they feel welcome in the community and get a good impression. If instead they get on 5 servers with 3 mygot bots, 1 scammer and 1 aimbot they will avoid the game in the future 

Most people that don't have hats aren't going to care enough about hats for getting 1 free craft hat to change their opinion on the game. The gameplay is what convinces them. If you want to help new players feel more welcome and do better, then give tips in chat, play medic and heal newbies, play Engineer, help your team win games, and be polite to everyone. Most f2ps either don't care at all about hats or do care but not enough to try and get them, and even if they tried, you can make a full 3-cosmetic loadout for all 9 classes with a single key, so it's not like just one hat is enough for them.

4 hours ago, Mikers said:

Most people that don't have hats aren't going to care enough about hats for getting 1 free craft hat to change their opinion on the game. The gameplay is what convinces them. If you want to help new players feel more welcome and do better, then give tips in chat, play medic and heal newbies, play Engineer, help your team win games, and be polite to everyone. Most f2ps either don't care at all about hats or do care but not enough to try and get them, and even if they tried, you can make a full 3-cosmetic loadout for all 9 classes with a single key, so it's not like just one hat is enough for them.

Its not about changing opinion on game but changing opinion on the community.

Of course, giving them tips and supporting them would help them more than hats, but overall its not that bad idea.

The real problem with this idea is, as everything else that is free, it would be abused.

Look at scrap tf. Its about the community, not only about items. But its full of people who dont care about anything else than getting free items. They make bots and alts to enter more raffles and have higher chance to win, they beg for items and sometimes it can get even worse. You dont want to have group full of alts begging for free items. Then it gets to point where you have 2 choices and neither one is the right choice. If you give the beggar an item, 10 other will come. If you dont, you will get hate for having group like that but not actually giving away anything.

Also all kinds of scams could appear. Another group to attract bots with phishing links. People who want funds to make giveaway but they disappear with money instead.

Not a bad idea but impossible to make because of dark side of this community.

Just keep some refs in your inventory and when you see a communicative newbie who wants to learn, help him, give him some tips and buy him a hat to show him the bright side of TF2.

Never give people free stuff you gota make them work for it, if they F2P newbs you gotta make them do something like get 3 accomplishments in order to get a hat. This has a bigger chance of actually making people fall in love with the game if thats what you want rather than just give them a hat they will forget after they get a $0.10 Cs go skin.

As a former admin on a popular 24/7 2fort server, I held a pretty massive giveaways in the group every month. 30 people would win anything from 1 ref to ~1 key value. Occasionally I'd toss out a cheap unusual. The problem became I was getting added/contacted by dozens of community members that didn't win just begging for items. Some of them weren't even a part of the community. Just friends of winners and other members that were looking for free stuff. Even members that won came back to me looking for handouts.

You will have no problem developing a following if you simply give stuff away. The problem is, they will come to expect your charity rather than appreciate it. 

As the last poster said, make the items incentives, not gifts. Don't reward people for playing the game. Reward them for improving, or at the very least trying to improve. Hold skill-based contest and other group events. 

Handouts lead to beggars. 

Archived