Are Two Cities Tours profitable?

MasterF

I was wondering, since apparently professional kits go for pretty high prices, not to mention australium weapons. You can say it's kind of like unboxing, but it seems to have a lower disappointment chance. Thoughts?

You can say it's kind of like unboxing...

Just the opposite, in my experience. Whereas unboxing takes almost no time and is almost guaranteed to cost you money, Two Cities takes a HUGE amount of time, and will turn you a modest profit in the long run. "Modest profit" being "Enough loot to sell and keep yourself supplied with tickets to continue playing, and a bit left over", and "long run" being "several dozen tours at least".

Doing MvM 2 Cities tours were extremely profitable for me through December and January. Between 2 australiums and around 30 specialized and pro killstreak kits sold, I made around $700 in 2 months. However at this point, so many fabricators and kits have flooded the market that its a lot harder to squeeze out a profit. It takes longer to sell kits and its harder to get anything close to your buyout number. The other reason why it was so much more profitable earlier was because tour of duty tickets were half off and anybody who was smart bought tons of them. Now with them at regular price and no longer around 1.66 refined, the profit margin is considerably lower.

I think that during the beginning of the 2 Cities tour it was far easier to make a decent profit, with the robot parts, fabricators and KS kits, the first month or so pretty much paid for itself. However nowadays its a lot more luck based in regards to getting a decent KS kit, a very good spec fabricator (Luger, awp, RL and stickybomb are a few favorites) and obviously the golden goodness that we call australiums. I myself have only done 8 tours and on my 8th got my second pro fabricator and a australium knife so my tours paid for itself and then some. However the australiums are a lot harder to sell and people are resorting to selling everything from spec fabricators, pro fabricators and australium weapons for cheaper than usual. If anything its more of how many tickets you hoarded when they where 50% and how many tours your dedicated to doing. More tours pretty much means profit

It's not nearly as profitable as it used to be.  Like others have mentioned, the market is now completely saturated with Fabricators and Kits, even kits for stock weapons sometimes take a while to get rid of now.   Australiums are still going strong, but it looks like they're taking a drop too or at least are about to.  A few things to keep in mind: 

- It's not really worth selling Fabricators. Kits go for much more.  You need quite a few parts to assemble a specialized kit and you'll need to do at least 2 tours before you can assemble a fabricator into a kit (and quite a few more to assemble a pro kit). 

- Fabricators:  Unfortunately, Valve released fabricators for a large number of weapons in the game, meaning the chances that you'll get one people actually want is pretty slim (just see how much you'll feel like shooting yourself in the face when you see that third box and out comes a professional shovel fabricator).  

- Don't listen to the people who'll tell you how much profit they've made because they've found x number of Australiums - they're outliers (I recently met a guy with 120 tours who hadn't found Gold yet).  It's basically the same as someone telling you unboxing is a great idea for profit because they unboxed a Burning TC - good for them, but you probably won't be as lucky. 

- Consider the time investment.  I play with a group of regulars all with 40+ tours.  It takes us 3-4 hours to finish 4 missions, i.e. 1 Tour.  It'll take you way longer at the start and you'll be putting up with people who don't know how to cooperate or take direction.  

In the end, you still turn a profit if you play on a regular basis, but probably not a huge profit (you need luck for that, just like in unboxing).  Most people just turn enough profit to keep them supplied with tickets so they can keep playing, plus a few ref here and there.   

Archived