Brokering, a good or bad idea ?

Sarkness

Hi everyone,

So I want to start a brokering career, considering how scrapbanking is censored and how new I am to the TF2 economy (I'm poor to get myself keys ahah)

I wanted to know if it's a good idea to do this in 2020 and if yes, is there any tips I should follow to make sure my brokering goes well ?

Regards,

Sarkness

If you're new to trading and have no idea how brokering/the whole economy works then just don't broker, I'd leave that to the more experienced ones. You should rather gain some experience by trading with your own stuff first, imo.

3 hours ago, renshin said:

It would be hard for you to start, people won't trust you. Get a reputation first.

I may agree about the fact that a reputation is necessary, but how can I get reputation without orders ?

2 hours ago, rndmchrs said:

If you're new to trading and have no idea how brokering/the whole economy works then just don't broker, I'd leave that to the more experienced ones. You should rather gain some experience by trading with your own stuff first, imo.

I'm not new to trading, and I know how the brokering/economy works fortunately , I just thought of what to do as a starting brokerer.

If you haven't done it before and/or don't have enough time to dedicate to brokering, then don't do it. People want brokers that both have full knowledge of the game (so they can get the best deals for them and don't keep coming to them with shit deals they think are good because a bp.tf 4 year outdated price looks awesome on a shit hat), and a broker that is active about finding offers and deals for things they're selling. I.E., do you really want to pay a key or two for having an unusual sold by a broker who just slaps it on classifieds and bazaar and waits? You can do that for free just as easily. You'll also want good communication skills and frequency. Tell people that you're brokering so they know not to offer you quickbuy-price BS. Tell the person you're brokering for about every offer you get that isn't terrible and work with them to help them sell their stuff faster.

Brokering isn't typically some "free money" scheme BS where you slap everything on classifieds and then literally stop caring until the offers come to you. For a lot of lower-end stuff, especially if the one wanting you to broker wants full price for it, offers aren't going to come to you, you have to get the offers yourself, and you do it via advertising to multiple sources, joining trade servers, really being active about promoting and obtaining offers for the stuff you're selling.

That being said, you also need at least some level of trust before doing it, because JohnnyTestFan2002 isn't going to give you his 30 key unusual to broker if he's never heard of you and you have no prior history of brokering. You'd have to start small with low value items and bottom-of-the-barrel unusuals. It'll take time to work up enough trust to get to the bigger stuff that actually gets you reasonable payment per sale you achieve.

It's not worth it it my opinion. Some unusuals are hard to sell by themselves and you'll be spending a whole week (maybe months) and a ton of hours to get a few bucks.

Trading right now is a waiting game.

43 minutes ago, RafasDR said:

It's not worth it it my opinion. Some unusuals are hard to sell by themselves and you'll be spending a whole week (maybe months) and a ton of hours to get a few bucks.

Trading right now is a waiting game.

How so, If I may ask ?

Brokering. No.

Many friends did it.

Now they don't.  All I need.

But trading, yes, get into it.  Most do very well and it's a great past time. Dont worry about profit, just learn pricing and that will come. I have been doint it for 10 yrs...so yeah,  all good times. 

6 minutes ago, mr. o.g. said:

Brokering. No.

Many friends did it.

Now they don't.  All I need.

But trading, yes, get into it.  Most do very well and it's a great past time. Dont worry about profit, just learn pricing and that will come. I have been doint it for 10 yrs...so yeah,  all good times. 

What items to have to start trading

If you really don't have much in the way of capital, I suggest spell trading. Much like unusuals, it does just take time and experience to consistently turn a profit, but you can start cheaper than unusuals, since the majority of spells are less than 10 keys, and still make a handsome penny. Backpack.tf doesn't have any support for spells but if you need help pricing/selling, EnderSlicer runs a pretty good spell trading Discord server. At some point you will get Dragorom7's server or SanyGame's spell guide recommended to you; they're both pretty sketchy. Firepowered is the best trade server to buy/sell spells on. 

Skin trading/painted hat trading is also a thing apparently but I have no experience there. 

30 minutes ago, Sarkness said:

What items to have to start trading

I bought a 20 key unusual x2 and traded up and up. 

At any point you can just stop investing real money and use items solely.  But still increase your bp.

45 minutes ago, mr. o.g. said:

I bought a 20 key unusual x2 and traded up and up. 

At any point you can just stop investing real money and use items solely.  But still increase your bp.

I don't really like spending money in my opinion, ahah

1 hour ago, Pineapple Pizza said:

If you really don't have much in the way of capital, I suggest spell trading. Much like unusuals, it does just take time and experience to consistently turn a profit, but you can start cheaper than unusuals, since the majority of spells are less than 10 keys, and still make a handsome penny. Backpack.tf doesn't have any support for spells but if you need help pricing/selling, EnderSlicer runs a pretty good spell trading Discord server. At some point you will get Dragorom7's server or SanyGame's spell guide recommended to you; they're both pretty sketchy. Firepowered is the best trade server to buy/sell spells on. 

Skin trading/painted hat trading is also a thing apparently but I have no experience there. 

EnderSlicer? Never heard of it

if your not looking to spend money but want the satisfaction of trading, may i introduce;

https://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/Warframe/

It's where i got my trading fix while i didn't have money to spend due to college & just general life. 

You can use 

Warframe.Market and start trading for plat using in game items and eventually amass large amounts of plat just through trading, all the satisfaction of trading without the monetary investment. 

(side note, get a friend to come with decide which you like playing more nekros or hydroid then assign your friend the other and just grind for relics/prime parts for hours on end.)

Beyond that there's no real way to make decent profit in low end trading tf2 anymore, bots and key prices have made sure of that. 

11 hours ago, Sarkness said:

I may agree about the fact that a reputation is necessary, but how can I get reputation without orders ?

I'm not new to trading, and I know how the brokering/economy works fortunately , I just thought of what to do as a starting brokerer.

you are new, build up rep and you'll get one customer. no ones gonna trust a new !^#. but good luck.

8 hours ago, humanbeing183 said:

you are new, build up rep and you'll get one customer. no ones gonna trust a new !^#. but good luck.

Thanks, I guess...

Archived