BP admins vs cash traders

D.Alex

Small cash traders: please let us see reports from user profile

Admins:  you don't need that as you can already do a search by yourself 

Small cash traders: can we see unconfirmed SteamRep reports? 

Admins: you don't need that 

Small cash traders: again, please link reports from profile

Admins: nope 

Inexperienced cash traders : but we are getting scammed (upd: replaced with archived copy)

If only we saw these or these ...

(Discord)image.png.f11319ed6fe3760177088b624e8c510f.png

Sorry about my opinion, but i don't see anything wrong with the mods here.

People who sell for paypal, should do their research, and rather use third-party websites like marketplace or mannco.store to maximize their security.

they get fee'd but it's better to have a bit less money then lose all of it.

Paypal with anyone is a huge risk, and no one should do it, because it's virtual items. They're nothing then a few pixels, they have no real value, considering this, companies like Paypal can't do anything about it, that's why people farming up a few +reps and then start scamming a huge butload of money off. They sell their scammed stuff to people asap or to bots, cashing out the keys on steam via making an alt then selling a random skin for hundreds of dollars (see Pizza Polished Rocket Launcher (FT)) and they got away with it. They use VPN to cover their IP, as simple as that. People who risk their money for 10% fee shouldn't blame the mods for it, that's why marketplace.tf is there, to safely sell / buy items. That 10% fee mostly goes to bp.tf, scrap.tf, marketplace.tf and other sites' to cover their bills, and keep them online (see tf2outpost). 

TL,TR - If u sell paypal do a proper research or trade via trusted sites, don't blame the mods.

The problem is, these "trust pages" provided by BPTF is a perfect platform for cash scammers.

These pages provide fake sense of "trust" and allow inexperienced people to be scammed over and over again.

* Did they put a warning "take these with a grain of salt, people are cash-scammed with these every week" on top every trust page? No.
* Did they put a link to a "Cash trading guide" on top of every trust page? No.

* Did they say "this is a private site, trust page is a privilege" and deny obvious scammers from using that? No.

* How about using common sense with very obvious cash scammers? Not really

I was checking that topic u mentioned in the response, i think Teeny Tiny Cat explained the situation to you. It's up to you that you want to trust in an account or not. It's not the site's problem, trusts are a design element, if you personally trust on some sites trusts, then it's your own decision. It's not like backpack.tf is the god of the trading. It's just a site for teamfortress items to get listed, get priced, give info on items, not on people. 

I see your point here, it lacks design, but it's up to people to judge someone by their backpack.tf trusts, or do a proper research about their history, their trusts, and other-other stuff.

there is this small site you may have heard of called marketplace.tf

if you are incapable of performing a background check, or simply don't want to be bothered with the risk of not getting paid it works quite nicely

and yeah it has a fee, mark your stuff up by the fee and then there isn't one

disclaimer for OP; my profile image isn't an endorsement of you logging into stemcornmuniti.com

in fact I'd advise against logging into any improperly spelled steamcommunity.com site.

I don't wanna see a forum post about profile images if/when you get scammed again...

2 hours ago, D.Alex said:

Small cash traders: please let us see reports from user profile

Admins:  you don't need that as you can already do a search by yourself 

Small cash traders: can we see unconfirmed SteamRep reports? 

Admins: you don't need that 

Small cash traders: again, please link reports from profile

Admins: nope 

Inexperienced cash traders : but we are getting scammed

If only we saw these or these ...

(Discord)image.png.f11319ed6fe3760177088b624e8c510f.png

I agree with linking unconfirmed reports - I do not agree with linking steamrep reports for the reasons provided in that thread. SR's backlog is bigger than you'd imagine. 

Its their fault for taking a risk such as selling their items for money as a person to person transaction. If they get scammed maybe they can learn from their foolish mistake by oh i dont know... maybe selling it through marketplace maybe. If they dont like the fee well they can think about their only two options here, either get funds safely by sacrificing 10% or get scammed and loose all that money. Sure there are some reputable people out there, but even the ones with the most rep can turn you over.

If you're dealing with PayPal or other forms of cash trading, it's your responsibility to background check who you're doing said trading. Check the user's SteamRep then go to the big bold text here that says "Search SteamRep Forum", or use the google links to check for their Steam ID's on other trading sites.

7qlbDSE.png

It takes all of 60 extra seconds to get to their SteamRep and very quickly, with their tools, search to ensure that there's no scam reports on the user. If you're dealing with something as risky as real cash trading outside of a trusted 3rd party site like Marketplace, you should be smart enough to take an extra minute to check and be 100% sure the user is legitimate and safe to trade with.

Yes, it could be nice to have a yellow "UN" or "UNC" or etc tag next to the SteamRep link on bp for users that are marked as having unconfirmed reports, but it's not really going to change much and just saves you a minuscule amount of time.

Also, what is your definition of "small cash traders"? Because if you're talking about trading double digits of cash, then just use Marketplace and live with the fee or request pure keys from whoever's buying your backpack instead of cash if that's the reason for the cash trade. There's very little reason why traders should do direct cash trades via Paypal or whatever if they aren't selling something that's at the higher end where that 10% fee will actually be a big deal.

And if the concern is newer traders not realizing this, then write guides on how to check SteamRep and avoid scams and spread them through the community. For every 1 user that gets scammed because they couldn't see a bunch of unconfirmed / denied reports for a user directly from the bp.tf page, there's 100 that get scammed because they have no clue in the first place that SteamRep exists.

If I'm getting something wrong or spouting stuff that you think is BS then please feel free to correct or lecture me.

• Administrators

My various responses are an explanation of why this isn't something I think will make a huge difference. If we had a super active dev and anything that we asked for was worked on, I'd have absolutely no problem with requesting this. I doubt it would do much, but I don't think it would hurt anything, and it might help the odd person. But the reality is that this is not the case and there's not much I can really do about it. I don't believe that it would make enough of a difference that it's worth pushing dev/owners endlessly for when there are other things we've been asking them for for a long time that we are still waiting for. I know that's not an answer anybody wants, but it's just the way it is.

If you have any suggestions that I can actually implement, I'm all ears.

It's good that someone finally calls out the janitors. They remove some warnings but not others/are extremely biased towards certain users as well. I've had several +1's removed as people have bought my art/paid first, however they were removed. If I might also add on that I gave a -1 to someone a few days ago as they were doing quick sharking scams specifically on crates to make a profit, calling it "an offer" knowing that some crates are worth more than others. Ironically enough there is another person who commented the same thing I did, yet there comment wasn't removed for sharking? Hmm. Interesting. Ironically enough I have a warn I tried to appeal months ago, the user was given his items back, nothing lost nothing gained after he said he would "remove my warn" if I gave his stuff back (which by the way, I never faked offers, but I admit to exagerating). 

Here's some things that should be fixed aswell
-Sharking is sharking.
-Warns that are over a year old should be able to be appealed.
-There are a bunch of very high tier traders who dictate the prices entirely, aka they follow people's backpacks, wait for certain things to be sold, make a reprice, and try to buy it for cheaper then sell higher.
-Bots dictate the market, aka no risks are taken by anyone for profit anymore since the bots say so.
-Some staff is immature.

I'm not an active unusual trader, but these are some of my concerns.

Edit: If you get offended by the term janitor, grow up, I've seen plenty of you guys make fun of people for falling for scams.

22 minutes ago, Akiha said:

Edit: If you get offended by the term janitor, grow up,

Oh man epic, lol! I browse 4chan too i love pepe and wojak, this is BASED

Your post has almost nothing to do with the OP other than expressing random unwarranted hate for the people running this website, who already deal with people being dicks because they can't have their way all day every day. Please consider making your own suggestion thread with what you think should be changed and provide elaboration so that people understand what you want / mean and what you think should be done.

9 hours ago, Akiha said:

I never faked offers, but I admit to exagerating). 

Exagerating is faking offers lmao

9 hours ago, Akiha said:

There are a bunch of very high tier traders who dictate the prices entirely, aka they follow people's backpacks, wait for certain things to be sold, make a reprice, and try to buy it for cheaper then sell higher.

Is this a conspiracy theory you read on Reddit?

8 hours ago, Akiha said:

It's good that someone finally calls out the janitors. They remove some warnings but not others/are extremely biased towards certain users as well. I've had several +1's removed as people have bought my art/paid first, however they were removed. If I might also add on that I gave a -1 to someone a few days ago as they were doing quick sharking scams specifically on crates to make a profit, calling it "an offer" knowing that some crates are worth more than others. Ironically enough there is another person who commented the same thing I did, yet there comment wasn't removed for sharking? Hmm. Interesting. Ironically enough I have a warn I tried to appeal months ago, the user was given his items back, nothing lost nothing gained after he said he would "remove my warn" if I gave his stuff back (which by the way, I never faked offers, but I admit to exagerating). 

Here's some things that should be fixed aswell
-Sharking is sharking.
-Warns that are over a year old should be able to be appealed.
-There are a bunch of very high tier traders who dictate the prices entirely, aka they follow people's backpacks, wait for certain things to be sold, make a reprice, and try to buy it for cheaper then sell higher.
-Bots dictate the market, aka no risks are taken by anyone for profit anymore since the bots say so.
-Some staff is immature.

I'm not an active unusual trader, but these are some of my concerns.

Edit: If you get offended by the term janitor, grow up, I've seen plenty of you guys make fun of people for falling for scams.

If you don't like the site, then simply don't use it? I don't see your problem. 

Archived