TF2 items bug?

Medic Bot

Few days ago, the 15th i received a dueling mini-game with 5 uses (my trade bot accepts only 5 uses ones), it have been accepted properly as it had 5 uses.

1.thumb.png.72cd9e63c3aaa90f2893b66dfc2dd215.png

Today i noticed that i had many trade offers for the dueling mini-game and that my bot kept declining them, i investigated the situation and figured out that the dueling mini-game in question had only 3 uses instead of 5 (so my bot didn't know at wich price to sell a 3 uses dueling mini-game and kept declining).

2.png.c6680218102226652afde64bf62c0723.png

I have checked the history of the item on backpack.tf and in fact it was the very same item:

3.png.0b5ccb9d0b8dc33ddc601a6ee5c650fc.png

Another weird detail is that my bot refreshes the backpack everytime it receives an item, to allow backpack.tf to know the id of it and therefore making possible to create a selling listing, how is it possible that the history have been updated only today (the 18th)?

I have checked if it was another dueling mini-game that i happened to trade with the same user and that by bot accidentally accepted even if it had 3 uses but no, it wasn't the case:

4.thumb.png.ab40f7e7bba259dd8d947fe0ee2a78a9.png

Obviously my bot doesn't launch tf2 and duel people 🤣 so there is no reason at all why i should receive a 5 uses dueling mini-game and it magically becomes a 3 uses one on its own.

Somebody have any idea on what the hell happened?

I ended up getting rid of the item by manually gifting it to the scrap.tf incinerator:

5.png.58a799b3cb89b9a180fda3254a2e593c.png

If you guys have any idea on how does this work or have experienced something like this, let me know, im curious!

9 hours ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

Sounds odd, did you try checking your inventory history? That shows changes made to your items, not just trades: https://steamcommunity.com/my/inventoryhistory/?app[]=440

I have checked and no, the only time a dueling mini-game shows in the history after obtaining it in a trade is when i gifted it to scrap.tf incinerator, no other occurrences in between.

duel.png.491548f9a735ce009f26e3f98cfc7425.png

• 5 months later...

I know I'm necro-posting here, but I just wanted to add that the exact same thing just happened to my trading bot, recently.  The circumstances are nearly identical.  

Somehow a single use Dueling Mini-Game snuck past the check for 5 uses.  I've always had the check turned on, and when I went to test, it was working as intended.

Looking at the trade history for the DMG it was in the possession of trade bot on Sept 12.   Since then, only 2 users have traded DMG to me, one of which has a private backpack.

The trade history for those trades show that the ones traded to me all showing 5 uses, so it appears that someone has figured out a way to spoof the amount of uses to the steam trading system.

I've taken the liberty to block those 2 users that traded DMG to me during that time frame so it doesn't happen from those accounts again.

Archived