Do you guys think the coronavirus will affect the economy?

Mexican vader

The TF2 economy? I doubt it. If anything, it might bring a small number of players back to the game, as people "work" from home and students "attend" classes virtually. 

The economies for different countries and overall the entire world? That's in a little more danger depending on how the virus continues to spread

22 minutes ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

The TF2 economy? I doubt it. If anything, it might bring a small number of players back to the game, as people "work" from home and students "attend" classes virtually. 

The economies for different countries and overall the entire world? That's in a little more danger depending on how the virus continues to spread

I guess I can agree with you, hope it doesn't get so bad IRL though

12 hours ago, A Delicious Cashew said:

11 hours ago, Mexican vader said:

I guess I can agree with you, hope it doesn't get so bad IRL though

The real life economy has been effected hard, ASX (Australia stock exchange) has lost 100's of billions of dollars as well as wall street is down like shit

In my personal opinion, I feel like this is a great time for investors to make mad amounts of money. Stocks are dropping faster than a crack addict running for a free line of coke. Eventually the market will recover but it's going to take quite a long time seeing that trends are going downwards and the companies have to compensate for the loss. Depending on how the federal reserve acts more in the future, I think for the most part we'll be fine. They've already sent out buy orders on stocks, putting lots of money back into the economy to keep it from crashing past the point of no return.

In a more realistic sense, we're fucked. Our government doesn't really like to do anything unless it becomes absolutely necessary. They tend to believe that any problem that appears before them will disappear all on its own so they don't do anything until its declared a public crisis. I'm no expert on this, but we really need an economic stabilizer program from the government while taking care of the demand shock that's affecting businesses due to the consumer's sudden change in priorities. Even with that in place, there's no avoiding a recession at this point and businesses also have to jump in and change their shit. (i.e low interest rates given out by banks even though they're relatively low right now). The market will still probably bounce back, but as of right now, there's no avoiding a recession after the coronavirus. If it doesn't happen right after, then it's going to happen later on in the coming years.

It's a long block of text but essentially what I'm saying is:

We're fucked:)

Yes in the sense that, in general, cash is king now and people will likely be trying to scrounge up whatever leftover cash they have to buy some more 300% markup toilet paper, to make actual investments, or to pay off rent particularly if the virus situation led to job loss

It's not likely to be a very significant effect though, probably just going to take the form of a few thousand extra keys listed on marketplace for a while

I feel like I might be eating my own words on this; I don't see any significant effect on TF2 just yet (except maybe keys on steam market???) but there sure seems to be some on CSGO (which then again could be more due to the operation ending)

But the economic impact is even harsher than I'd have thought, and even crypto is getting cashed, eventually someones going to bust open their piggy bank in TF2

then again who even reads this lol

Archived