Is this a scam?

Good O'l Cousin Cletus

2008344779_Endentimi2_3_20203_09_48PM.thumb.png.1137f5f05bb838b2106cdad490ee14a1.png

This  gentleman adds me for comp but tries to get me to log into a "comp" website one that I was not familiar with. After I said that I would not log into that website he blocked me...Scam or no?

yes, it's a scam. this guy will ask you to download an "older version" of mumble or discord before the "match" (the match is fake).

don't download  and install it. it will automatically steal your items through a trade offer

I've been scammed by this same method a few years ago

I always find it strange people don't find this scam attempt odd straight away.

"Hi can you play for our team? We don't know you, know your class main(s), hours or if you even know the comp format or the maps. The other members of the team don't have anyone'on their friends list that could fill in so a random stranger seems fitting." 

Hmmm.

3 hours ago, dtn said:

yes, it's a scam. this guy will ask you to download an "older version" of mumble or discord before the "match" (the match is fake).

don't download  and install it. it will automatically steal your items through a trade offer

I've been scammed by this same method a few years ago

they cannot steal your items automatically if you fall for this method unless the scammer has access to your steam on phone. if they dont, what will happen is that the scammer will have this sort of program where when you make a trade offer,you accept it but when you accept it on your phone, it will make another trade making it the same but only you wont receive anything and will be sent to a fake account 

Any sort of unfamiliar/suspicious link should be an automatic indicator that someone is trying to scam you. Good thing you didn't fall for it :)

5 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

they cannot steal your items automatically if you fall for this method unless the scammer has access to your steam on phone. if they dont, what will happen is that the scammer will have this sort of program where when you make a trade offer,you accept it but when you accept it on your phone, it will make another trade making it the same but only you wont receive anything and will be sent to a fake account 

you're right. I was scammed before steam implemented the mobile two-step verification, actually just a few weeks prior to the steam guard mobile thingy. I got lucky and managed to recover (dupe) all my stolen stuff

Its steam credentials phishing. He also wont need access to a phone or steam guard unlike jozu said, after enabling and stealing your api key, he will be able to change and do trades via code. The same way trade bots dont need phones to confirm there trades. its all about the api key.

Archived