Best cooler for a MSI Z270 SLI ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

JayTuut

This motherboard: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/product/gGtWGX/msi-z270-sli-atx-lga1151-motherboard-z270-sli

My cooler currently ( Build list here https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/deadboom/saved/CH6Xbv ), the CRYORIG M9i 48.4 CFM CPU Cooler doesn't fit properly, and im having cooling issues.

qL5cHXA.png

Maybe I should of read this before I bought it. But anyway. What's a good cooler that ACTUALLY FITS in the case? And thats also <$100 AUD and is above 130W (this is a 110W cooler and my CPU is 130W i think so i want to upgrade my cooling there too)

Your CPU power draw is not equivalent to its thermal output.

And that Cryorig WILL fit into that Fractal Design case. It's a huge case. Your cooler is 125mm tall and that case has a 120mm fan on the rear above the IO slot. You'll be fine.

2 hours ago, SoranoGuardias said:

Your CPU power draw is not equivalent to its thermal output.

And that Cryorig WILL fit into that Fractal Design case. It's a huge case. Your cooler is 125mm tall and that case has a 120mm fan on the rear above the IO slot. You'll be fine.

No. Farout how many people do I have to explain this too...

It doesn’t sit on the cpu correctly, recording temps of 100 degrees while gaming and 66 idle. I’ve remounted it 4 times, re-thermalpasted 3 times and nothing. The cooler doesn’t fit the moboIT FITS THE CASE BUT NOT THE MOBO.

I also tightened it as much as i could... and it doesn't effect the ram. I've put it on 3 times myself and got a computer person to do it as well. Still doesn't work.

As for your first part

"the 7700k is a 91W processor that intel specifies a 130W cooler for."

and "That's a 120W cooler according to Cryorig (that'll be generous I expect). the CPU is a 130W cpu from a cooling standpoint according to intel, and that's just to let it boost properly."

Well that information would have been relevant and you should have included it, concerning the temps.

First thing I would suggest is putting your CPU on the table on it's heatspreader and see if you can spin it like a top. If you can, then that means the spreader is bulging upward. Typically it's only a problem on CPUs with soldered TIM under the heatspreader which the 7700K has paste.

But if you want to replace it completely, I just got a Noctua NH-L9x65 for under $60 US to go onto a Core i7 4820K. It's a very adequate cooler. There are also tower models around that price and under 135mm.

Also, how many fans have you installed in that case and how is your airflow?

4 hours ago, SoranoGuardias said:

Also, how many fans have you installed in that case and how is your airflow?

Excluding the CPU fan, 3 in the Meshify C

First thing I would suggest is putting your CPU on the table on it's heatspreader and see if you can spin it like a top.

Unbolted? I assume so cause bolted in I obviously can't spin it.

Noctua NH-L9x65 for under $60 US

$88 hmmm. I'm currently looking at a Cryorig H7 ($60 AUD) 

I was also suggested:

ARCTIC Freezer 34 eSports DUO (Suggested this twice and I'm liking it) ----- $81

Cooler Master MasterAir MA410M --- $89 or Hyper 212 Black ---- $59

be quiet! Dark Rock Slim --- $89 or Shadow Rock Slim ---- $65

Apparently anything else would be "overkill"

1 hour ago, SoranoGuardias said:

I would pause on buying a Hyper 212. Cooler Master is about to release the MKII with a better mounting system.

Yeah I was gonna buy the arctic but the SHIPPING ALONE is $45, so the shadow rock slim was first place (the arctic was 2nd but i wanted to go overkill but I guess not lmao)

• 6 months later...
On 1/29/2020 at 6:31 AM, JayTuut said:

Yeah I was gonna buy the arctic but the SHIPPING ALONE is $45, so the shadow rock slim was first place (the arctic was 2nd but i wanted to go overkill but I guess not lmao)

I recently purchased it, a shipping cost of $45 might be high unless you live very far away. I used citizenshipper service for my shipping. You can also check the amount of bidding price you get for your shipment.

https://citizenshipper.com/specialcare

As you know shipping charges will depend on distance and item that you are shipping. You can check there if you get price or not. 

Archived