Help with Glitched Item Compendium

vohh

Yo, i've started work on a compendium of all glitched items in tf2. Most guides ive seen on glitched items either have blatant misinformation, lacking important info, etc. so ive decided to start work on (hopefully) the most accurate and detailed source of all this information.

Keep in mind that this isnt going to be discussing prices or backpack locations of any of these items. Just simply what exists, how, why, when, etc.

Right now im working on listing out every type of glitch (quality glitches, post life spells, killstreak glitches, and so on) after I have a strong list of that im going to be going into more specifics (normal quality, normal strange, vintages, etc.) and from then which items, the history behind them, the when, why, hows, how many exist, etc. etc.

What im asking right now is if anyone knows of more steam guides or other resources related to glitches that could help me gather info then to please share them with me.
Also i ask that you shout out the glitches that you know so i dont miss out on adding them to this list. I dont know all of them right now. I just learned about a big earner knife that has a long distance kill part on it for example.

Share your thoughts and knowledge below, thanks.

too tired to type out a comprehensive list, you can add me if you like

also may want to talk to hackthegibson, a collector of glitch items and author of a guide about strange unique items

6 hours ago, Buddy said:

too tired to type out a comprehensive list, you can add me if you like

also may want to talk to hackthegibson, a collector of glitch items and author of a guide about strange unique items

2 hours ago, Diamond jozu said:

here's another person who is known for collecting rare or glitched items:

https://steamcommunity.com/id/tastysalamanders/

Thanks for the suggestions.

Ive been friends with Gibson for quite a while, he encouraged me to start this project. I'll be in contact with some collectors to help with this.
Right now im looking more for old forum posts or steam guides discussing certain items or any known rumors of items like the painted vita saw etc.

1 hour ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

MvM glitched levels are pretty neat imo :)

I got them on my list, do you know any specifics about the how, when, why, etc.? Any links of sorts? Im looking to document proof of origins aswell.

2 hours ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

MvM glitched levels are pretty neat imo :)

"I got them on my list, do you know any specifics about the how, when, why, etc.? Any links of sorts? Im looking to document proof of origins aswell."

Tour 256 drops level 0 loot, so everything bound to tour number / level drops in level 0 then. All other levels like level 1 balloonicorn or any other odd level cosmetics / wepaons were most likely just oversights from valve since they always forget mvm has a potential drop system too, when releasing new items.

1 minute ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

Level 0 Australiums / Botkillers / Ks Kits: Tour 256 completition resets the levels back to 0 instead of 1. Any other glitch levels are prolly just valve forgetting that mvm exists when releasing new items to the lootpool or similar.

Do all odd level glitches relate to mvm drops? I am unsure on things like old vintages that are level 0 or max's that are odd level. 

23 minutes ago, vohh said:

I got them on my list, do you know any specifics about the how, when, why, etc.? Any links of sorts? Im looking to document proof of origins aswell.

When they added mvm your badge level determined what level your loot was (ie tour 5 got a level 5 botkiller). However it also determined what level your weapon drop loot was. Thus items that normally only dropped a certain level (Scottish handshake usually level 10) dropped whatever tour number someone had. Dunno when it was patched. Another thing that is still active is level 0 drops, when you hit 256 tours your drops for that tour will rollover from 255 to 0 so thus some level 0 aussies exist along with some ks kits and botkillers. (Also golden pans but no one has found one on their tour 256 yet (or multiple of) :()

Some other level errors are caused by other stuff ie some level 5 quick fixes exist from the beta.

15 minutes ago, FP jh34ghu43gu said:

When they added mvm your badge level determined what level your loot was (ie tour 5 got a level 5 botkiller). However it also determined what level your weapon drop loot was. Thus items that normally only dropped a certain level (Scottish handshake usually level 10) dropped whatever tour number someone had. Dunno when it was patched. Another thing that is still active is level 0 drops, when you hit 256 tours your drops for that tour will rollover from 255 to 0 so thus some level 0 aussies exist along with some ks kits and botkillers. (Also golden pans but no one has found one on their tour 256 yet (or multiple of) :()

Some other level errors are caused by other stuff ie some level 5 quick fixes exist from the beta.

Thanks for the details.

"Some other level errors are caused by other stuff ie some level 5 quick fixes exist from the beta."
do you know the specifics of this "other stuff"?

Also do you know about stuff like old level 0 vintages or how/why other odd level cosmetics/weapons exist?

Are you familiar with this? https://backpack.tf/item/1100888681

I don't know if giftwrapped nontradeables are on your list or not; I own a couple and have been scanning around for more, if you'd like a list I can keep you updated. 

As far as level 0 items go, there's some helpful info on this page: https://dev.wiki.tf/wiki/Talk:Item_levels. Apparently level 0 items come from random drops, or used to? 

20 minutes ago, Pineapple Pizza said:

Are you familiar with this? https://backpack.tf/item/1100888681

I don't know if giftwrapped nontradeables are on your list or not; I own a couple and have been scanning around for more, if you'd like a list I can keep you updated. 

As far as level 0 items go, there's some helpful info on this page: https://dev.wiki.tf/wiki/Talk:Item_levels. Apparently level 0 items come from random drops, or used to? 

I have a section for valve created/ valve items/ test items. thanks 
I do have tradeable nontradeables on my list, adding giftwrapped nontradables, thanks

will check out that wiki.

loaner tags had better get some love - the glitch affected items traded up between August 27, 2015 to October 28, 2015 (credit to Tasty Salamanders 

)

20 minutes ago, Perhaps-eron said:

loaner tags had better get some love - the glitch affected items traded up between August 27, 2015 to October 28, 2015 (credit to Tasty Salamanders 

)

i have loaner tags and off wear dragon slayers under skin/warpaint glitches. are loaner tags just on skins?

18 minutes ago, Zeus904 said:

Dont forget the orange painted vita saw! People always forget that item

ive read about and it and keep it in mind but does anyone know its current owner or is it lost to time? 

54 minutes ago, vohh said:

i have loaner tags and off wear dragon slayers under skin/warpaint glitches. are loaner tags just on skins?

Nope! They're on any collections which could be traded up between those dates. So that includes a lot of skin collections but also Gun Mettle and Invasion collections

5 minutes ago, Perhaps-eron said:

Nope! They're on any collections which could be traded up between those dates. So that includes a lot of skin collections but also Gun Mettle and Invasion collections

alright separating loaner tags from skin glitches and making it its own category. know of any other glitches related to skins besides offwear dragon slayers? im going to be adding things like white macaws, full color boneyards, and chips on the high rollers to my rarities list which i might throw in to the end of the compendium.

14 minutes ago, vohh said:

ive read about and it and keep it in mind but does anyone know its current owner or is it lost to time? 

There are 2 I believe, One was seen years ago in a private inventory and the second very well may be a premium search away for all we know. Last time it was seen was here with this exact link https://steamcommunity.com/id/MrNigma/inventory#440_2_523694245  Keep in mind this was 8 Years ago which is a long time. 

7 minutes ago, Zeus904 said:

There are 2 I believe, One was seen years ago in a private inventory and the second very well may be a premium search away for all we know. Last time it was seen was here with this exact link https://steamcommunity.com/id/MrNigma/inventory#440_2_523694245  Keep in mind this was 8 Years ago which is a long time. 

that link brought up nothing, i assume he sold it. I checked that ID "523694245" on bp and found nothing. threw it into tf2tools item dates and got this 2011-10-15 11:39:16 pm (UTC) as the estimated date, inbetween a few minutes around that time. 

what paints were applied to both? i know one was orange but was it specifically "mann co orange"?

any other info or insight is welcome.

4 minutes ago, vohh said:

that link brought up nothing, i assume he sold it. I checked that ID "523694245" on bp and found nothing. threw it into tf2tools item dates and got this 2011-10-15 11:39:16 pm (UTC) as the estimated date, inbetween a few minutes around that time. 

what paints were applied to both? i know one was orange but was it specifically "mann co orange"?

any other info or insight is welcome.

With that date I'll toss the profile into backpack and see if it dates back to then hopefully I can grab the history. I'll let u know if i find anything 

EDIT: It doesn't seem to go that far back sadly, the furthest back has 3 vita saws none of which are painted and all of which still remain in his inventory to this day. I'll keep digging around but this may be a dead end unless someone with premium can search it for us. As for the paint It wasn't specified if it was cream spirit or mann co orange so keep that in mind. 

Just now, Zeus904 said:

With that date I'll toss the profile into backpack and see if it dates back to then hopefully I can grab the history. I'll let u know if i find anything 

sounds good. keep in mind that its the date that the item was created. its possible it could have been traded to him and wouldnt appear at that time. maybe extend to sometime after if its not there.

Archived