Just got scammed.....

Omnisthetics

I was trying to sell my Miami Nights Front Runner to upgrade to a Disco Beat Down effect, a guy added me and we went on discord, and do a watchlist thing, trade to a bot, for ''fraud item review'', I don't know what else to do, I'm losing faith, help me please.

I feel people should trade in runescape first before they try trading in Tf2. I learned my lesson real fast at the age of 14 when I got quick swapped mugged for 10k gp.

Unless you have any faith in another user you should not be making one sided trades and ask before you do something with someone more versed in an area than you are such as experienced traders or look up common scams online... Best of luck, I'll rip the bandaid off now and let you know you lost your item for good unless some charitable soul returns it to you. You should at least use the experience to learn from your mistake and educate yourself for the future. 

7 hours ago, Rainy Day said:

Unless you have any faith in another user you should not be making one sided trades and ask before you do something with someone more versed in an area than you are such as experienced traders or look up common scams online.

Instant upvote! Also make it a habit that if you DO have a one sided trade situation that you've verified as much as possible to test if ur api key has been jacked by just giving a crate FIRST (Make sure to let them know what ur doing with this as to not cause confusion), if the offer goes to your intended recipient after you confirm on mobile great! Otherwise it's time to revoke that api key. I do this every time I trade something to my wife to ensure my account aint compromised and that the item(s) will go where intended. You'll be much better off losing a crate than something with actual worth in the case that you are compromised. 

5 hours ago, AR3M said:

Sigh. How do people fall for shit like that.

I firmly believe that everyone believes they have an "aura on invincibility" around them, where while they acknowledge that the scams are out there, they at the same time refuse to believe it can even happen to them "because they're smarter than that". And worse, when confronted, will usually entrench themselves with subborness and go through with the scam out of what feels like spite. Unfortunately, the only real way to remove this aura is to actually get scammed and burst their bubble, bringing them back to reality.

Still, it's better for that inevitability to happen with something cheap like tf2 hats or pokemon cards in the grand scheme of things, rather than being bilked out of thousands in something like a pyramid scheme or a gift card scam.

16 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

I firmly believe that everyone believes they have an "aura on invincibility" around them, where while they acknowledge that the scams are out there, they at the same time refuse to believe it can even happen to them "because they're smarter than that". And worse, when confronted, will usually entrench themselves with subborness and go through with the scam out of what feels like spite. Unfortunately, the only real way to remove this aura is to actually get scammed and burst their bubble, bringing them back to reality.

Still, it's better for that inevitability to happen with something cheap like tf2 hats or pokemon cards in the grand scheme of things, rather than being bilked out of thousands in something like a pyramid scheme or a gift card scam.

Yeah that sounds reasonable, I do know a fair few people who just do not learn - ever. I suppose it takes getting scammed for most people to learn while some others are just too stupid and naive to help themselves.

7 hours ago, Nos said:

you deserve it if you fell for it lmao

I would argue nobody deserves it, because in the end it's stolen items with a value that end up in a stealer's possession.

Archived