Marketplace.tf's discount % question

ZealLad77

This might be a really fucking dumb question, but are those discount percentages on marketplace.tf really as they say? I'm mainly asking because I see unusuals are priced in keys, which marketplace.tf have a value for and then they have a 10% tax or whatever. I'm wondering if that 10% tax applies when you buy the hat, lowering the discount?

The 10% fee should not concern you because it's taken from seller's amount. You always pay the posted price, either $ US if you buy directly on MP, or in keys if item is posted "through backpack.tf".

As for "discounts" at https://marketplace.tf/deals - last time I heard they were based on outdated Backpack.tf prices, which are usually outdated by themselves. 

Don't pay much attention to those "% discounts". Instead compare MP price to current BP sell and buy orders.

For example, "Purple Energy Allbrero" shows 60% discount on MP (at $90.00) because BP stats page shows "100 keys" but you can see a bot selling it for only 47+.

2 hours ago, D.Alex said:

The 10% fee should not concern you because it's taken from seller's amount. You always pay the posted price, either $ US if you buy directly on MP, or in keys if item is posted "through backpack.tf".

As for "discounts" at https://marketplace.tf/deals - last time I heard they were based on outdated Backpack.tf prices, which are usually outdated by themselves. 

Don't pay much attention to those "% discounts". Instead compare MP price to current BP sell and buy orders.

For example, "Purple Energy Allbrero" shows 60% discount on MP (at $90.00) because BP stats page shows "100 keys" but you can see a bot selling it for only 47+.

So in essence, the discounts in cash are what they say they are? 

3 hours ago, Brother Spook said:

So in essence, the discounts in cash are what they say they are? 

Laughed so hard at Vashtas response but decided to clarify that for you.

Marketplace determines an items cash price based on the backpack.tf price converted into dollars

This could be a 4 year old price that is massively outdated and where you have sellers for half that price.

Take the scorching TC for example.
Bp.tf official price is 1300 keys (8 months old).
Mptf has one listed for 2288 dollars and considers this a 22 percent discount, lets see why

Marketplace autoprices keys at 2.26 dollar per key (which is A LOT, but sure).
1300*2.26=2938. 22 pct off is 2291.64.

In reality keys are currently going for 1.78, so 1300*1.78=2314
So that hat is actually listed at a full 1 percent discount. (still overpriced, but hey who am I to judge)

HOWEVERRRRR

if you look on bp.tf, you see 4 listings: 800-900-1000-1300 keys.
So that 22 percent discount is actually the 2nd worst of the 5 choices you have there and you would actually be spending around  864 dollars extra over the 800 key version.

Ergo

don't stare yourself blind on it.
Browse for hats you like but always check bp AND mptf (hell, even check steam community market I would say) listings before buying for pure or investing any money to get it when buying
And marketplace just takes 10 percent off the listed price, so no extra costs whatsoever for the buyer.

Hope that cleared some stuff up for ya

3 hours ago, Raeindeer said:

Laughed so hard at Vashtas response but decided to clarify that for you.

Marketplace determines an items cash price based on the backpack.tf price converted into dollars

This could be a 4 year old price that is massively outdated and where you have sellers for half that price.

Take the scorching TC for example.
Bp.tf official price is 1300 keys (8 months old).
Mptf has one listed for 2288 dollars and considers this a 22 percent discount, lets see why

Marketplace autoprices keys at 2.26 dollar per key (which is A LOT, but sure).
1300*2.26=2938. 22 pct off is 2291.64.

In reality keys are currently going for 1.78, so 1300*1.78=2314
So that hat is actually listed at a full 1 percent discount. (still overpriced, but hey who am I to judge)

HOWEVERRRRR

if you look on bp.tf, you see 4 listings: 800-900-1000-1300 keys.
So that 22 percent discount is actually the 2nd worst of the 5 choices you have there and you would actually be spending around  864 dollars extra over the 800 key version.

Ergo

don't stare yourself blind on it.
Browse for hats you like but always check bp AND mptf (hell, even check steam community market I would say) listings before buying for pure or investing any money to get it when buying
And marketplace just takes 10 percent off the listed price, so no extra costs whatsoever for the buyer.

Hope that cleared some stuff up for ya

Wait wait wait, so marketplace autoprices keys at 2.26?! Why? Shouldn't they base it off what they're selling keys at which is like 1.78 right now? 

1 hour ago, Brother Spook said:

Wait wait wait, so marketplace autoprices keys at 2.26?! Why? Shouldn't they base it off what they're selling keys at which is like 1.78 right now? 

Genius right? they have been autopricing it like this for so long now, I honestly don't understand it either
Just look at their 'homepage', keys at 1.77$ is a 22 percent discount

4 hours ago, rndmchrs said:

@Mucy wants to know your location

I actually had a case of a guy that contacted me to reduce the price of an item because it was listed cheaper on steam comm market
And i really wasnt highballing it, so yeah, you never know I suppose

11 minutes ago, Raeindeer said:

Genius right? they have been autopricing it like this for so long now, I honestly don't understand it either
Just look at their 'homepage', keys at 1.77$ is a 22 percent discount

I wish everyone would just collectively agree to raise keys back to 2.1 or 2$ or something

10 hours ago, Brother Spook said:

Backpack actually uses ref prices for autopricing most items, even keys lol. Ref prices are $0.04, with one key being 56.55 ref. 56*.04 = $2.24

Archived