Scammed...what do

puncheschildren666

I got scammed by Zamaru trade.tf who stole all my stuff, I'm not sure what to do now but make a lot of noise and hope for the best. cleaned me out of 112 keys worth of shit including very personal stuff. I dont expect my stuff back but I would like to see him banned or something. Didn't know trading in 2019 would be like this.

I already filed a steam report but I have screenshots and stuff I took on my phone that I can provide. I come back to trading after 3 years and get scammed immediately, it really bites idk. I built the bison myself n shit. I know it's just like stuff but idk

Nothing can be done to get your items back. You can report the accounts but that's about it. Just make sure you're reporting the right account, as there's plenty of impersonators. For example, your stuff went to a fake bot.

Your stuff went to https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198989714722

While the real Bot 91 is https://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198839843908

Also, if you look at your trade history and see your trades had been canceled, but then instantly resubmitted with no items on their side, you've been phished instead and your API key is compromised and needs to be revoked and reissued.

no he duped me and said it was some man-in-the-middle system, like a virtual bot bank but so I really hope it wasn't, but thank you I'll look into that for sure. I tried running the link he sent me for trade through a detection site and it was it wasn't malicious but that's pretty surface level. I figured as much so thank you for your help. Guess I'll start from scratch and literally ONLY trade through steam now, lesson learned one way hahaha. 

3 hours ago, puncheschildren666 said:

no he duped me and said it was some man-in-the-middle system, like a virtual bot bank but so I really hope it wasn't, but thank you I'll look into that for sure. I tried running the link he sent me for trade through a detection site and it was it wasn't malicious but that's pretty surface level. I figured as much so thank you for your help. Guess I'll start from scratch and literally ONLY trade through steam now, lesson learned one way hahaha. 

oh so he duped you... thats unfortunate.

8 hours ago, puncheschildren666 said:

Didn't know trading in 2019 would be like this.

To be honest I don't know what you expected. Scammers were here from the beginning, and they'll probably be here until the end. Unfortunately...

@Nikspy well yeah but back in my hayday of trading (2012-2014~) tr hey were all russian instead and they were stupid lil bots, not cold-blooded predators. not that I'm saying THEY weren't around either (bc they were) but they never fucked with me. 

What I EXPECTED however was to liquidate all my old stuff into pure so I could start my trading career over with some pure, but I guess now I have to pay even closer attention when trading. He used the length of time I was gone to get me to go to weird sites like tf2tips.com and mannco.store, neither of which I had heard of for some stats or something but....I digress. I'm still heated so sorry for taking up so much of your time

1 hour ago, puncheschildren666 said:

@Nikspy well yeah but back in my hayday of trading (2012-2014~) tr hey were all russian instead and they were stupid lil bots, not cold-blooded predators. not that I'm saying THEY weren't around either (bc they were) but they never fucked with me. 

What I EXPECTED however was to liquidate all my old stuff into pure so I could start my trading career over with some pure, but I guess now I have to pay even closer attention when trading. He used the length of time I was gone to get me to go to weird sites like tf2tips.com and mannco.store, neither of which I had heard of for some stats or something but....I digress. I'm still heated so sorry for taking up so much of your time

mannco.store is a real site that people use, as well as marketplace.tf, scrap.tf, mannco.trade, and of course backpack.tf. I wouldn't differ from these sites as many times they aren't real and are trying to hack your account.

It doesn't matter how well you know (or think you know) someone or what kind of status they have in the community. If they're asking you to do something sketchy, you shouldn't. If they're asking you to add some other bot that they claim is part of a trading site, go to the trading site, find out if it's legit, and then directly find their bot. You should never trust someone not to lie to you.

17 hours ago, puncheschildren666 said:

no he duped me and said it was some man-in-the-middle system, like a virtual bot bank but so I really hope it wasn't, but thank you I'll look into that for sure. I tried running the link he sent me for trade through a detection site and it was it wasn't malicious but that's pretty surface level.

What you got hit with was the verification scam. Basically the scammer pretends to be interested in your item, but needs to "verify" something. Typically they claim they want to make sure it's tradeable or can be put up on a storefront and want you to deposit/trade it as proof. But instead of going anywhere legitimate, it gets traded to an impersonator mule account.

The best defense against this is the fact that there is absolutely no reason to "verify" any item. If it can't be traded, it will say so on the inventory screen and if it's a dirty dupe, that an be found by looking at the item's history on this site (plus the fact that the only people that really care about dupes are ones that are just looking for an excuse to lowball the shit out of you). And if a person wants to "see how it looks ingame", Steam has the "inspect item in game" option plus that's part of what trade servers are for.

13 hours ago, puncheschildren666 said:

tf2tips is a phishing site. your account has been comprimised. change the passwork and revoke the api key.

14 hours ago, puncheschildren666 said:

He probably added mannco.store assuming you knew about its legitimacy (because everyone knows its legit) and tied it to the fake phishing site to make it seem more legitimate.

Archived