Reconnecting & New Beginnings

Jad's Hat Shop

Hey everyone, I just wanted to stop by in an attempt to reconnect with some of my friends from the past and possibly rekindle some networking opportunities!

I have recently just finished my first semester of business school, and have found that its absolutely fascinating taking the marketing tactics that I learned 4-7 years ago (at the cost of social development) and now applying it to my actual career moving forwards! I was just a bit curious how everyone else is doing in the community. Its been a long time since I talked to a lot of you, and with all the analysis I have been doing of the TF2 Trading Economy it has peaked my interest yet again!

Hoping to hear back from some of my older friends... I don't expect a lot though. 

If anyone has any questions related to my experience trading in TF2, I hope I can offer some insight! I plan to make my Economic Thesis Doctorate about this one day, and any directed questions I would love to answer for you!

~Brief History~

Started from nothing

Slowly worked my way up, peaking around top 100 highest valued backpacks (With brokered items included in that number, probably around 150th without)

Got banned for a year in accordance with biting off more than I could chew, because of dealing with shady people. (I regret my rash decisions here, this was definitely a learning experience for me.)

I have explored the underbelly/sketchy side of TF2 trading, tried my hand at the higher tier market (I was not to particularly fond of this part) and especially the *GRIND* of low tier unusual flipping (I made the most on this, due to continuously downgrading my upper tiers, into multiple lower tiers) 

This experience can definitely help in a career path down the road, and I would love to help each one of you try to wrap your mind around this concept.

~Happy Holidays & Safe Travels Everyone~

Jad's Hat Shop

If you’re trying to restart trading, try to avoid 1st and 3rd gens, or ask for a major discount on hats with those effects as there’s way too many in existence because of a “bug” in the summer

5 hours ago, Scorpion said:

If you’re trying to restart trading, try to avoid 1st and 3rd gens, or ask for a major discount on hats with those effects as there’s way too many in existence because of a “bug” in the summer

Funny, people wanting to sell such hats and asking for advice are told to not fall for buyers asking to reduce the price.

Sounds like life's been treatin ya well, which is great to hear! We used to trade in servers & we played neo scavenger then rim world for a bit if you remember me. I'm p sure i still have you on steam so feel free to shoot me a dm sometime!

Hey everyone :) and hey Zeus! I remember you, its a shame we lost touch haha. I think life just got a bit to busy for you at the time!

But I am currently not looking to restart trading, I am taking courses for business admin/economics and I plan on using the experiences I have had in trading, to dirrectly advance my learning!

I just want to have an open forum where we chat about our experiences aha, it sucked the way I left the scene, and I hope to rebuild some of the networking strengths I once had!

6 hours ago, Scorpion said:

Assuming this means another dupe was discovered? 😮 not suprised.

10 minutes ago, Jad's Hat Shop said:

Nah, just a small bug that changed the chance of unboxing unusuals to 100%

2 hours ago, Jad's Hat Shop said:

What happened is a patch broke the item tables for several crates, resulting in a 100% chance of an unusual for most of the affected crates (the killstreak kit crates were also affected, but did not have a 100%unusual rate, but instead got a 0% chance to get a basic kit).

Needless to say, people unboxed the crates in droves. And before others could react (This glitch cane to light around 2 am in the US), the unboxers then dumped the goods on people with buy orders for a quick cash out, then repeated the process. Valve eventually woke up and locked down trading and the SCM while they figured out what to do. They soon brought trading back up, but left the unboxed unusuals untradeable and unmarketable as they needed to brainstorm a while longer.

The final decision was that the very first affected hat people got (either by unboxing or trading) would be made tradeable, while all others would be locked to the account they reside in. However, people could request a refund for any of the locked hats, getting back what they used to get that hat. In the end, this solution basically added the equivalent of about a month's worth of regular unboxing into the market. 3rd gens were the most affected, with the vast majority of the hats added being them (the affected 1st gen crates were already on the rarer side so far less were unboxed). As such, with the increased supply and the decreased demand, unusual values have taken a hit, but it's been nowhere near the crash that happened to unusual taunts or earbuds. It still won't stop some people from using it as an excuse to lowball the shit out of everything though.

This event is now known as "The Crate Depression".

12 hours ago, Scorpion said:

The tf2 devs said there was an extra MONTHS worth of hats that were uncrated (in total) so this guy is exageratting quite a bit. Considering 95% of them became untradeable the actual amount that influxed which were tradeable is 5% of a months standard unboxed unusuals. So disregard comments about there being to many in existence. The fact is there are lots more hats but none are tradeable so bare minimial impact on prices.

2 hours ago, Scott Bakula said:

It still won't stop some people from using it as an excuse to *lowball* the shit out of everything though.

This event is now known as "The Crate Depression".

"Flies on a shiity sniper hat? ill give you 10 keys for it. Its a garb effect but I know a friend who wants one."

Everybody was downright scummy when I used to trade, I feel bad since low-balling really takes the fun and competition out of trading.

Somthing that was even worse in the community though was when everyone would lowball new effects of every tier, as soon as any new effects came out. As if the people unboxing knew what their 1/1 Frostbite Johnny's Headstocking was worth.

This concept actually kind of reflects how "sharks" prey on smaller businesses patents, just to get an easy new line of inventory for themselves with being able to skip initial R&D and jump straight to production. :o 

5 hours ago, vAGUe said:

Nah, just a small bug that changed the chance of unboxing unusuals to 100%

Here I gotchu 😎

@DanielDee So first off I do not want to start trading again god help me LOL. Im playing with big boy stock markets now 😂

Secondly, its very interesting how they handled this entire debacle. From an economic standpoint I *guess* the economy wouldn't have suffered too much, however the community loves to grab as many hats as they can, before reselling for full price. 

*Testla Cybertruck window broke in demo, I should panic sell my stocks before the company goes under*

13 hours ago, DanielDee said:

The tf2 devs said there was an extra MONTHS worth of hats that were uncrated (in total) so this guy is exageratting quite a bit. Considering 95% of them became untradeable the actual amount that influxed which were tradeable is 5% of a months standard unboxed unusuals. So disregard comments about there being to many in existence. The fact is there are lots more hats but none are tradeable so bare minimial impact on prices.

except demand for a lot of these hats was purely speculation to begin with, and so a rapid jolt like that will permanently disrupt the market by destroying the appetite to speculate on them

Archived