Spells

Bonzo The All-Gnawing

So I still have alot of spells on my alt that I havent opened since 2014, Might even be like 500 keys worth of spells there, but I assume there is no way I can apply the spells anymore, is there? Disabling internet or something?

Yep, the moment you go online, they'll be gone, reduced to ashes... If you disable the internet, you won't be able to connect to the steam servers hence you won't be able to apply the spells since they won't register.

All you can really do is just flex that alt account to spell traders and collectors alike xD

25 minutes ago, ryan coke said:

Can you link the account so I can see what unapplied spells look like in an inventory?

They look just the same they used to, the inv is private and i cba to change it

2 hours ago, vAGUe said:

Yep, the moment you go online, they'll be gone, reduced to ashes... If you disable the internet, you won't be able to connect to the steam servers hence you won't be able to apply the spells since they won't register.

All you can really do is just flex that alt account to spell traders and collectors alike xD

Fack

5 hours ago, Dub said:

So I still have alot of spells on my alt that I havent opened since 2014, Might even be like 500 keys worth of spells there, but I assume there is no way I can apply the spells anymore, is there? Disabling internet or something?

Once you log in into the account all spells disappear, but people used to trade spells through trade offers to people already in the game, who then applied the spells right away.

The thing is that if I remember correctly valve made all unapplied spells untradable in some patch, so you can't trade anymore them.

Can you confirm the spells into that alt account are currently untradable?

6 minutes ago, Detective Pikachu said:

Once you log in into the account all spells disappear, but people used to trade spells through trade offers to people already in the game, who then applied the spells right away.

The thing is that if I remember correctly valve made all unapplied spells untradable in some patch, so you can't trade anymore them.

Can you confirm the spells into that alt account are currently untradable?

Yes, you cant trade them in any way, im talking about applying them to hats

Just now, Dub said:

Yes, you cant trade them in any way, im talking about applying them to hats

Then it's gg, that was the only way people used to get around the fact spells disappeared once the owner logged into the account.

Every single known loophole to applying spells from an untouched account has been long since patched by Valve; unless you discover some obscure zero-day bug you aren't getting any use out of the spell bottles.

I wouldn't recommend selling your account, its technically against steams ToS, I would just hold onto that account until we get confirmation from valve if spells will ever return(big doubt)

on the otherhand, if you do have spelled items that you are looking to trade and get prices for, theres several discords out there just for that kind of stuff.

https://discord.gg/zdGd5b(invite expires after a day)

hope this helps.

15 hours ago, Uncle Dang said:

Every single known loophole to applying spells from an untouched account has been long since patched by Valve; unless you discover some obscure zero-day bug you aren't getting any use out of the spell bottles.

There is one potential loophole that exists, but it is entirely theoretical. And it involves Piles of Curses not pre-existing unapplied spells.

Piles of Curses have a dynamic expiry date, instead of a static one like spells, and it is set to !end_of_halloween

!end_of_halloween occasionally changes (for example it is currently set to November 25, 2019, i.e. 2 days ago) and there are sometime very small windows where it may be possible to open TF2 and not lose them. i.e. On October 1st this year when Halloween Mode activated, !end_of_halloween was set to the end of October 1st where there was a 24 hour or less window where this might have worked.

So if a person with a Pile of Curses opened TF2 during these small windows whenever they happen, and the Pile doesn't disappear, they could open the Pile, and if they do manage to get a spell out of it, they could apply the spell straight away (which would mean also have a collection of different items ready to apply the spell to).

1 hour ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

There is one potential loophole that exists, but it is entirely theoretical. And it involves Piles of Curses not pre-existing unapplied spells.

Piles of Curses have a dynamic expiry date, instead of a static one like spells, and it is set to !end_of_halloween

!end_of_halloween occasionally changes (for example it is currently set to November 25, 2019, i.e. 2 days ago) and there are sometime very small windows where it may be possible to open TF2 and not lose them. i.e. On October 1st this year when Halloween Mode activated, !end_of_halloween was set to the end of October 1st where there was a 24 hour or less window where this might have worked.

So if a person with a Pile of Curses opened TF2 during these small windows whenever they happen, and the Pile doesn't disappear, they could open the Pile, and if they do manage to get a spell out of it, they could apply the spell straight away (which would mean also have a collection of different items ready to apply the spell to).

I tried premium searching the Pile of Curses, and I got results for both untrade/uncraft ones and tradable ones. Most accounts with existing tradable ones seem to be almost completely abandoned, but I wonder if it could be possible. 

2 hours ago, j58 said:

I tried premium searching the Pile of Curses, and I got results for both untrade/uncraft ones and tradable ones. Most accounts with existing tradable ones seem to be almost completely abandoned, but I wonder if it could be possible. 

They are all untradable. The "tradable" ones in Premium search would be due to those backpacks not being updated, either because no one checked them, or if they did they were private.

I imagine a lot of the accounts might appear abandoned because they are storage alts meant to stop the items disappearing when the person plays TF2 on their main.

So even if this does work; unless you can somehow buy the account and all the potential spells, the only way a person could get their items spelled is by lending their items to the person, having them open Piles to try and get spells and apply them to the items for them, before trading the items back (in exchange for payment for the spell of course).

And it isn't like you could just send one item, you have no idea what spell they could unbox, it could be Sentry Quad-Pumpkins (Pumpkin Bombs for Wrenches), Spectral Flame (Halloween Fire for Flame Throwers), a Footprints spell, etc. So you would basically need to hand over a handful of items to prepare for all spell possibilities.

Plus IF it did work, and you were going ahead and trying to spell some new items, you would probably want them to be good stuff, not just some random weapon drop or craft hat, which means you also need to trust the person with potentially expensive items if you want spells on those.

So basically, it is untested, and even if it was tested and did work, it would only work within very narrow windows, and then you wouldn't want to go wasting spells on crap items, which means you need to go trusting these people with good items. Basically there are a bunch of issues.

8 hours ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

That probably explains why one showed up on the community market in August, im guessing during the full moon someone may have either tried to find a loophole, or was by complete random chance someone listed a cursed pile

1 hour ago, Semper said:

That probably explains why one showed up on the community market in August, im guessing during the full moon someone may have either tried to find a loophole, or was by complete random chance someone listed a cursed pile

now that you mention it, multiple have sold this week on the community market. Weird

(edit, except i have no idea when the last few sales are in the steam market, as it doesnt show me what year the sales are)

15 hours ago, Freak4ever2000™ said:

now that you mention it, multiple have sold this week on the community market. Weird

(edit, except i have no idea when the last few sales are in the steam market, as it doesnt show me what year the sales are)

I imagine that is actually November 2015, since they were made untradable in December 2015.

The lack of year on market graphs is bad. Hell, I've know some extremely rare Foil trading cards that in some cases haven't sold for years but you would never be able to tell because the market graph ends at the last sale and it doesn't show the year (seriously, done years of waiting for some of them).

3 hours ago, Tasty Salamanders said:

I imagine that is actually November 2015, since they were made untradable in December 2015.

The lack of year on market graphs is bad. Hell, I've know some extremely rare Foil trading cards that in some cases haven't sold for years but you would never be able to tell because the market graph ends at the last sale and it doesn't show the year (seriously, done years of waiting for some of them).

steam beeing steam i guess

Archived